Moab Man 2019 Photos (not a 365)

Moab Man

W_D85_4694.jpg

Dawg Pics

I would love to know, but all I really know is that it was on the eastern side of the Milky Way in the lower thick area of the mass. I literally just pointed my camera at nothing and fired away.

Open star cluster NGC 6530 and M8 Lagoon Nebula. It will be located above the Teapot's spout.
When you go to the dark sites, do you have binoculars with you? If not, get a pair, because there are lots of things you can see with binoculars, and you can locate some things to point the camera at. Any diffuse, fuzzy spot will be something, and there is a good chance it will be in the Messier Catalog. If you get a book or list of binocular objects, it is a good place to start.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Open star cluster NGC 6530 and M8 Lagoon Nebula. It will be located above the Teapot's spout.
When you go to the dark sites, do you have binoculars with you? If not, get a pair, because there are lots of things you can see with binoculars, and you can locate some things to point the camera at. Any diffuse, fuzzy spot will be something, and there is a good chance it will be in the Messier Catalog. If you get a book or list of binocular objects, it is a good place to start.

Do you believe it is the M8 Lagoon Nebula? I'm asking, it's not a gotcha question.

Dawg Pics

Do you believe it is the M8 Lagoon Nebula? I'm asking, it's not a gotcha question.

I am confident.
I didn't think you could just shoot the Lagoon Nebula like that, but I am not an astrophotographer. I didn't know it was possible to get an image like that without stacking. I did the initial ID by the star cluster and the Messier catalog. If you take a good look at the star cluster behind it and compare images, you can match up the stars as well as the nebulosity of M8 with 2 obvious areas, one brighter than the other.
I tell you, your M8 image and Milky Way images make me want to get out and go to Joshua Tree National Park and take their Milky Way Workshop. I haven't really tried to do any serious astrophotography, but I would like to.

Pretty darned good for shooting blind into the universe. :encouragement:

This has a good reference image for comparison. The Lagoon Nebula (M8) - Astronomy Magazine - Interactive Star Charts, Planets, Meteors, Comets, Telescopes

Moab Man

I am confident.
I didn't think you could just shoot the Lagoon Nebula like that, but I am not an astrophotographer. I didn't know it was possible to get an image like that without stacking. I did the initial ID by the star cluster and the Messier catalog. If you take a good look at the star cluster behind it and compare images, you can match up the stars as well as the nebulosity of M8 with 2 obvious areas, one brighter than the other.
I tell you, your M8 image and Milky Way images make me want to get out and go to Joshua Tree National Park and take their Milky Way Workshop. I haven't really tried to do any serious astrophotography, but I would like to.

Pretty darned good for shooting blind into the universe. :encouragement:

This has a good reference image for comparison. The Lagoon Nebula (M8) - Astronomy Magazine - Interactive Star Charts, Planets, Meteors, Comets, Telescopes

After you put me on the path of M8, I did some research as well and agree it is the Lagoon Nebulae.

Thank you for all your help in tracking this down.