Moab Man 2019 Photos (not a 365)

Moab Man

W_500_4091.jpg

Moab Man

I recently joined @gerfoto in Moab for some Milky Way photography. It was a great time and good to meet a forum member. Just prior to heading to Moab I was hired to shoot a portrait of a specific star in the night sky so I had a 300mm lens on my camera. Once I captured the image I was hired to shoot I turned my camera towards the lower thick part of the Milky Way and decided to just fire into it and see what I could capture. To my amazement, on the first shot, I managed to photograph a galaxy. I made a few more tweeks to my camera and here it is.

W_D85_5974.jpg

Dawg Pics

[MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION] Would you like to know what you photographed? Hint: It looks a little nebulous to me.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I recently joined @gerfoto in Moab for some Milky Way photography. It was a great time and good to meet a forum member. Just prior to heading to Moab I was hired to shoot a portrait of a specific star in the night sky so I had a 300mm lens on my camera. Once I captured the image I was hired to shoot I turned my camera towards the lower thick part of the Milky Way and decided to just fire into it and see what I could capture. To my amazement, on the first shot, I managed to photograph a galaxy. I made a few more tweeks to my camera and here it is.

@Moab Man Would you like to know what you photographed? Hint: It looks a little nebulous to me.

I'm not a science person, but I'd like to know. The Milky Way is a galaxy. So there is another galaxy in the Milky Way? :confused:
My head hurts! ;)

gerfoto

Yeahhh after some messages while back and recent ones I got the opportunity to learn cool stuff about AstroPhotography and some tips, like the green laser as its uses, why the North Star. Obviously, I shot the Milky Way and first stars trail. Thank you for such an amazing experience, tenacity and kindness. Until we meet again :)

Here some photos from the first night. Thank You Thank You.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

StarStaX_DSC_0045-DSC_0142_lighten.jpg

Dawg Pics

@hark. We can see a dense belt of stars that is part of our galaxy The Milky Way, which is what you see in all of the beautiful images. However, if you know where to look, there are other galaxies that you can see with a telescope.

The Andromeda Galaxy is the big one that you can see in a dark sky unaided or easily see with a telescope or even binoculars. It is located very near the Milky Way in the sky as we see it, but it is very far away. However, the image that Moab Man took is in the Milky Way and left me a little gassy (hint hint).

There are no other galaxies in our galaxy, but you might see it near or through the dense spiral arm.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

@gerfoto. Those are terrific. I have had horrible luck attempting anything other than constellations. With Scorpius and the Teapot in clear view, there are lots of things to look at. I go the itch to point my camera when I saw how well i could see Scorpius from my yard, but I didn't try very hard to capture anything. Kind of light polluted around here.

Dawg Pics

is the real trick here to find a Black spot (to take your pics)?

Yes, further away from the OC. Of course, the growth in Menifee isn't helping either. Dark site, out in the desert would be good.

Sorry, [MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION]. I kinda hijacked your thread.

Moab Man

I'm not a science person, but I'd like to know. The Milky Way is a galaxy. So there is another galaxy in the Milky Way? :confused:
My head hurts! ;)

Let me explain the background to the photo. I have no idea what I photographed. And since I don't know I just arbitrarily made it up as a Galaxy and named it after my wife. For all I know it could be some gas cluster. But in the end, for me, it will be Tami Galaxy after my wife.

Moab Man

Yeahhh after some messages while back and recent ones I got the opportunity to learn cool stuff about AstroPhotography and some tips, like the green laser as its uses, why the North Star. Obviously, I shot the Milky Way and first stars trail. Thank you for such an amazing experience, tenacity and kindness. Until we meet again :)

Here some photos from the first night. Thank You Thank You.

You are welcome. It was a joy teaching you astrophotography. Now that you have the basic understanding you are on your way to even greater photographs.

Until we meet again, friend.

Moab Man

is the real trick here to find a Black spot (to take your pics)?

Dark sky is really the key. However, you really have to do your homework. For example, Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake of Utah is listed as a Dark Sky (I think gold level) and to many people, specifically their eye, it may seem that way. Antelope Island is crap. Southern Utah has some of the same designations but there is a night and day difference between the two - bad joke intended.

Where we were shooting at I had to make NO correction to the sky.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Let me explain the background to the photo. I have no idea what I photographed. And since I don't know I just arbitrarily made it up as a Galaxy and named it after my wife. For all I know it could be some gas cluster. But in the end, for me, it will be Tami Galaxy after my wife.

Ahh. Then you might be interested in either of these apps that help identify stars: Night Sky (free) or Sky Guide ($2.99 for iPhone). I believe both are also available for Android.

Dawg Pics

Do you want to know what it is or leave it a mystery? I didn't want to be a butt in case you were having some fun.

Moab Man

Do you want to know what it is or leave it a mystery? I didn't want to be a butt in case you were having some fun.
I would love to know, but all I really know is that it was on the eastern side of the Milky Way in the lower thick area of the mass. I literally just pointed my camera at nothing and fired away.