MieKe grip for the D800 - mini review

evan

Banned
buying cheap gear can quite often be a false economy. it can ruin your camera body. plus it will void any warranty.

Eye-level

Banned
This is what he said -

" Nikon's latest DSLR cameras are not compatible with batteries made by third parties. Only authorized ones can be used."

You want Nikon you have to pay for it.

I'm good with that. :)

fotojack

This is what he said -

" Nikon's latest DSLR cameras are not compatible with batteries made by third parties. Only authorized ones can be used."

You want Nikon you have to pay for it.

I'm good with that. :)

Jeff...while I agree with you to a point, I can see no logical justification for Nikon to be charging over $600 for a battery grip. It just doesn't make any sense. That's the price of another Nikon camera! I have a Nikon Grip on my D200, and it cost me $225. I have a 3rd party grip on my D40. Cost me $45, I think. Works great. No problems whatsoever. They both do the same thing the D800 grip does. So....until Nikon can tell me the reason for the exorbitant price, I still say a third party grip is the way to go. Some people will take the chance.....some won't. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:
Is not the difference between a Nikon and a Mieke that the Nikon is in cast aluminium and the Mieke Plastic ? Mind you its still held with a single 1/4 screw and the Mieke has a very big metal plate in the base.

The price on the battery and lack of third party batteries is because Nikon has the patent on the technology that sends the code from the battery to the camera to tell the camera its a genuine nikon battery..applies to ~En-EL 14 and 15

Eye-level

Banned
Consumer protection laws...interesting...wonder if that is what drives the price inequality?

Nikon D700, D300s and other products no longer shipping in Japan | Nikon Rumors

I'm telling you all I honestly believe this new Japanese law has something to do with the price and precious metals and materials are real expensive commodities nowadays. Couple all that with the recent disruptions geologically and meteorology speaking and it adds up to the perfect storm. I could and probably am wrong but I still believe it. They can export any kind of battery they want but all new electronic products must meet a new higher standard. My buddy told me that they drain and dispose of all battery fluids and recycle the cases and he claims they are ahead of most folks in this regard. I'll never have a D800 probably and I am not to big on grips but like Glenn said if I spend 3 grand plus on a camera it is probably a wise idea to shell out the bucks for the right product.

According to everything I have been looking at the price of the Nikon grip has fallen considerably since it's introduction.

Doesn't a single new battery alone for a d800 cost like 80 bucks or something? How much are the older model batteries going for?

Eye-level

Banned
Is not the difference between a Nikon and a Mieke that the Nikon is in cast aluminium and the Mieke Plastic ? Mind you its still held with a single 1/4 screw and the Mieke has a very big metal plate in the base.

The price on the battery and lack of third party batteries is because Nikon has the patent on the technology that sends the code from the battery to the camera to tell the camera its a genuine nikon battery..applies to ~En-EL 14 and 15

Google the mieke and take a look at the insides of it...way different than the Nikon one...way different.

Photowyzard

Check out the INSIDE of a MIEKE grip!! This guy had a pin broken in shipping and opened it up! There is more this than you would first think!!

Meike D800 grip….the inside story! - FM Forums

It is not a simple product, as I first thought! So, the next question is.... can you use this EMPTY on your camera, no battery inside it, and not damage the camera?

In other words, just use it as a grip?

I may just strip the lead off and just attach it, never putting a battery in it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Check out the INSIDE of a MIEKE grip!! This guy had a pin broken in shipping and opened it up! There is more this than you would first think!!

Meike D800 grip….the inside story! - FM Forums

It is not a simple product, as I first thought! So, the next question is.... can you use this EMPTY on your camera, no battery inside it, and not damage the camera?

In other words, just use it as a grip?

I may just strip the lead off and just attach it, never putting a battery in it.

Glad to help out Art. The video demo didn't have a battery inside the tray. So the answer with my unit is no it will not work. Some had luck with theirs but not mine. The problem if you use this product once it damaged your camera, no one will ever help you out to get a replacement camera and that is the sad plain truth.

Dave_W

The Dude
The problem if you use this product once it damaged your camera, no one will ever help you out to get a replacement camera and that is the sad plain truth.

Sorry, I'm going to have to raise the "BS" flag on this one. Something goes wrong with the electrical system on your camera Nikon will fix it. They don't ask the "how's or why's" they simply fix it. This, my friend, is the not so sad truth.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sorry, I'm going to have to raise the "BS" flag on this one. Something goes wrong with the electrical system on your camera Nikon will fix it. They don't ask the "how's or why's" they simply fix it. This, my friend, is the not so sad truth.

Agreed if the camera is still under warranty within the next 11 months or so. You maybe lucky that your battery grip is not acting up yet but it is just a matter of time. Based on my experience with this battery grip made by Mieke and even Zeikos that I used for my ex-D700, I still stand on "not recommending this product".

The decision still remains on the individual.

Last edited:

AC016

Interesting thread and thanks for the video Glenn. I have thought of buying a 3rd party grip myself - for my D80. I am very wary of it though. All this makes me think of my bro-in-law. He drives a Porsche 911 4S and he bitched and moaned about the cost of winter tires. He also belly ached about how much a brake job would be. I just rolled my eyes. In my mind, if you can afford a Porsche, don't complain about what it will cost to maintain. Same goes with Nikon's top-end cameras. You just spent 3 grand on a camera - plus lens, perhaps close to 4 grand -, but your to cheap to pay $400 bucks for a battery grip?? If you buy the Porsche, be prepared to buy the genuine OEM Porsche parts or be prepared to cry when you 3rd party garbage F's up your Porsche.

Photowyzard

There is a fine line between being "cheap" and being stupid. Giving Nikon USA $616 US

MB-D12 Multi Power Battery Pack from Nikon

for a grip and an additional $220 US for a battery (EN-EL18),

EN-EL18 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery from Nikon

you are just plain stupid. Call me CHEAP. They will never see DIME ONE from me on this grip at these prices. $836* plus tax sits very well in my cheap little pocket, thank you. I can buy Nikon glass with that and get more value for my money than being skinned for a grip.

* slightly less in Canada, surprise, surprise.

Last edited:

Billy Y.

There is a fine line between being "cheap" and being stupid. Giving Nikon USA $616 US

MB-D12 Multi Power Battery Pack from Nikon

for a grip and an additional $220 US for a battery (EN-EL18),

EN-EL18 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery from Nikon

you are just plain stupid. Call me CHEAP. They will never see DIME ONE from me on this grip at these prices. $836* plus tax sits very well in my cheap little pocket, thank you. I can buy Nikon glass with that and get more value for my money than being skinned for a grip.

* slightly less in Canada, surprise, surprise.

What you are seeing is Nikon tying to recoup some of the cost of a 36 meg pro body that is way less then the D4 that has a built in grip. Not many people are going to buy the D4 at 5900 dollars for 16 megs, when they can now get a D800 for 2999, and most reviews are saying the 800 beats the D4. If you are pro and need the extra fps boost and the verticle grip that $836 on top of the 2999 is still a bargain compared to the D4. Nikon is a BIG company, it really boils down to marketing and money. They have to deploy products to the entire world, think of how much that costs for just one camera body, and then they have to support it. When you look at it like that, it doesn't seem all that bad.

Sambr

What you are seeing is Nikon tying to recoup some of the cost of a 36 meg pro body that is way less then the D4 that has a built in grip. Not many people are going to buy the D4 at 5900 dollars for 16 megs, when they can now get a D800 for 2999, and most reviews are saying the 800 beats the D4. If you are pro and need the extra fps boost and the verticle grip that $836 on top of the 2999 is still a bargain compared to the D4. Nikon is a BIG company, it really boils down to marketing and money. They have to deploy products to the entire world, think of how much that costs for just one camera body, and then they have to support it. When you look at it like that, it doesn't seem all that bad.

I disagree - the D7000 grip is over priced as well. As for the D800 being better than the D4 - you are comparing apples to oranges. One is not better than the other. I have a D3s & aD800 both great cameras both are very diffrent in design and use.

Billy Y.

I disagree - the D7000 grip is over priced as well. As for the D800 being better than the D4 - you are comparing apples to oranges. One is not better than the other. I have a D3s & aD800 both great cameras both are very diffrent in design and use.

I didn't do the tests (comparisons), I just read them, and keep in mind those tests always weigh price in, so I am not suprised they find the D800 more camera for the price. Personally, I can't see many spending the extra cash for a D4 at this point, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
If I had the cash I'd buy a D4 over a D800 any day of the week...but then again if I had the cash I would buy a S2...but I don't so I'll stick with the guns I got and admire you guys...hahaha

Sambr

If I had the cash I'd buy a D4 over a D800 any day of the week...but then again if I had the cash I would buy a S2...but I don't so I'll stick with the guns I got and admire you guys...hahaha

........and you are laughing all the way to the bank :) you are a smart man Jeff.

Photowyzard

If you are a PRO, you will NOT buy the D800 if you do sports photography or anything that requires high ISO and fast frame rate capture.

The D800 simply isn't up to speed! And, fire off a long burst and the buffer fills up! This camera takes stellar images, but at a price in some performance. I think a Pro will sling a D4 first and maybe as a second, a D800.

Billy Y.

If you are a PRO, you will NOT buy the D800 if you do sports photography or anything that requires high ISO and fast frame rate capture.

The D800 simply isn't up to speed! And, fire off a long burst and the buffer fills up! This camera takes stellar images, but at a price in some performance. I think a Pro will sling a D4 first and maybe as a second, a D800.

True, it would not work for the dedicated sport photographer at the highest level, I was was referring more to the the local pros I know that have to shoot a little bit of everything to make a living. For those guys the 800 seems a much more versatile camera, and at a nicer price, even with a Nikon grip added in.