Meet my NEW STUDIO !!!

WhiteLight

6 months?? I couldn't have kept that all in the boxes for 6 minutes - Our spare room would have become a studio! lol

Tried it.. wasn't enough place to move things around..
i ended up getting a slit on the octa box :(
'sent me into a depression & packed everything up

WhiteLight

So, what was the (financial) damage for all of this? Studio equipment can be very expensive!

Hi STM! Long time no see..
Hope you are doing well Sir :)

it's been a few months, so a close guess would be a bit over the $2000 mark for the lights & modifiers....

so i was in a bit of a rut for some weird reason.. now getting down to business :D

since the size of the room is small in terms of the width, i don't think white would be a good match..
black would be depressing..
would a gray the shade of the gray card be a good match?

WhiteLight

Gray would work just fine because it is a neutral color. Just make sure that it is a true neutral gray without any other color mixed in. Black is best as you would not get any potential light reflectance off a white wall, but it is no biggie. I have not seen your room, but it never hurts to have a tall window in there for natural light work . Just make sure you have a way to completely block it off when you are just doing artificial light studio work.

Thank you..
Well the room is about 25-28ft long... 12 ft wide & around 15ft high..
that would be about 8m long, 4m wide & 5m high
concrete walls.. no windows...

so am guessing the type of lights & color of the room would play a crucial role..

so with these dimensions

STM

Grey would work out just fine, but make sure it is a true neutral gray. Black is best because it does reflect any light but like you said, it can make you feel like you are in a cave. I have not seen your room but it is always good to have a tall window in there so you can do some natural light stuff. Just make sure you can block it out completely. Natural light with a reflector is always the best!

STM

Thank you..
Well the room is about 25-28ft long... 12 ft wide & around 15ft high..
that would be about 8m long, 4m wide & 5m high
concrete walls.. no windows...

so am guessing the type of lights & color of the room would play a crucial role..

so with these dimensions

It certainly can. The type of illumination you have in the studio can be very important, especially if it is fluorescent. Color contamination can form fluorescent can be an big deal. There are fluorescent lights which have a color temperature close to flash. I would strongly recommend using those, other wise you could wind up with a slight green cast which will be a pain to remove

WhiteLight

It certainly can. The type of illumination you have in the studio can be very important, especially if it is fluorescent. Color contamination can form fluorescent can be an big deal. There are fluorescent lights which have a color temperature close to flash. I would strongly recommend using those, other wise you could wind up with a slight green cast which will be a pain to remove

Good to know...
at present there are no windows or light fittings.. basically i've emptied the space of everything :p
stripped out all the light fixtures that were there..
not sure if i would be able to get a window built in now..

would it be good to have a very low ambient lighting setup, so it would not add anything to the lighting conditions?
or equally spaced on the ceiling fixtures with 3-4 CFLs within? am guessing i would be able to get those that can have dimmer control as well.

like this-

electrical-lighting-fixtures-250x250.jpg

i may be wrong here, but wouldn't it be close to impossible to have temperatures relative to the light as the temperature shifts with the power?

SteveH

Just a thought, but can you paint a wall or two in different colours, and move your stuff around according to what background you want?

WhiteLight

Just a thought, but can you paint a wall or two in different colours, and move your stuff around according to what background you want?

Not quite an option to move things around...
width of the room is just 10ft :p

but i've read people painting walls different shades of gray & the ceiling black

and i have the background stand as well..
so bg is quite sorted... mainly concerned about light bouncing from the walls

STM

Good to know...
at present there are no windows or light fittings.. basically i've emptied the space of everything :p
stripped out all the light fixtures that were there..
not sure if i would be able to get a window built in now..

would it be good to have a very low ambient lighting setup, so it would not add anything to the lighting conditions?
or equally spaced on the ceiling fixtures with 3-4 CFLs within? am guessing i would be able to get those that can have dimmer control as well.

like this-

View attachment 118348

i may be wrong here, but wouldn't it be close to impossible to have temperatures relative to the light as the temperature shifts with the power?

Another option you have, and one that I do, is to turn off all lighting and just use the light from your strobe's modeling lights for illumination.