Macro photography

Photowyzard

OK, an update and a question. The update is that I purchased Kenko extension tubes. I hooked the 36 and 12 mm extensions up to my 50mm lens to get near 1:1 magnification. The first thing I noticed is that the subject has to be almost touching the lens for it to be in focus, which ruins the light and creates shadows. Second, and here comes the question, I can't focus at infinity anymore! Am I missing something, or is this normal behavior? Do dedicated macro lenses behave this way?

The more magnification, the closer you get. I have attached a sample image for you. This was taken in direct sunlight. You can see the sun reflecting off the ball point pen. This pen is a standard Bic. I was almost touching the pen with the lens.

This image was taken with a reverse ring and a 24mm wide angle lens.

I am not sure why you are having the focus issue, but all lenses have a limit as to how close you can focus. The Nikon is 12.2" to get 1:1 magnification.

Attachments

• Pen.jpg
    Pen.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,915
Last edited:

Photowyzard

Here is an example of an image using the Nikon 105mm, just to give you an idea. I use a D90 as well.

Attachments

• PillBox.jpg
    PillBox.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 419

Just-Clayton

the last close up shot i did was with vivitar 24mm and 2 close up filters10x and 4x worked ok for me.

Attachments

• DSC_0027 (800x535).jpg
    DSC_0027 (800x535).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 384

Photowyzard

I am wondering, why is MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY under standard lenses when this is anything but STANDARD????

This should have a category all its own!

evan

Banned
008.JPG006.JPGi have been into macro for the past 8 months, starting with a d90 and tamron 90mm. a great, reasonably priced lens with superb optics. decent working distance for most bugs. i later bought a used 60mm micro nikkor,( af-d). simular optical quality to the tamron... superb! i use this for flowers and fungi. another option you could consider is the raynox dcr250 filter, superb optics, no loss of image quality or f-stops. works really well with the 50mm af-d f 1.8. should work great with your 18-55mm too......currently saving my pennies for the sigma 150mm. hope you enjoy macro, its my fave subject! these pics are with the nikon 50mm af-d f1.8 plus the raynox dcr250 filter.

Last edited:

Boomer

Has anyone tried the Nikon 40mm F/2.8 macro lens? At $275 it seems much more reasonable than the 105mm.

Is is just a matter of how close to the subject you need to be?

evan

Banned
not tried it myself, but for a true 1:1 macro you would need to be about 3 inches or less from your subject....ok for small flowers.

BigNicG

Has anyone tried the Nikon 40mm F/2.8 macro lens? At $275 it seems much more reasonable than the 105mm.

Is is just a matter of how close to the subject you need to be?

Just bought it yesterday once I have had a chance to play with it I will let you know what I think.

Bukitimah

I started photography on macro about a year ago. I was fascinated by those insects. Initially, I was trying as close as possible, isn't what macro means?

After a while, I prefer the posture and how the image was captured rather than just blowing up close up.

There are many ways to shoot macro but a true macro lens would produce the best result in my opinion. I am not using a macro lens but the Raynox DCR 250. I like this and it gives me the result I want.