Likes system updated - Best answer, Unthank/Unlike and Dislike added

Eyelight

Yes , the folks that one isnt aquainted with dont get the smile or wave.
Im not saying its even possible to be entirely neutral, its easy to smile on your friends..
but by that same token the meaning of the like button has shifted from liking the photo , to- I like that person.
One could just say they like them, or have chats with them apart from the photo thing.. and then they should know that you guys are friendly.
I like eyelight , we've been discussing some stuff and hes pretty cool guy. But if he likebuttons my pix I'd want to know why,, or at least that it was his genuine general sentiment on it.
Then I would be getting potentially useful feedback. If the button is uses otherwise, it becomes a popularity contest for personalities.

I smile and wave at folks everyday with whom I am not acquainted. Maybe they were courteous at the checkout, the stop sign or perhaps she just caught my glance.:)

If someone post a photo and ask what do you think, or posts it in the Feedback or Critique forums, I will add comments positive and negative. Photos posted otherwise, may get a like and/or a comment and the comments will be mostly positive, because these posts are not necessarily asking for critique.

So, likes are like smiles, but if you want more than smiles, just ask for feedback, or post in the feedback/critique forums.

wornish

Yes , the folks that one isnt aquainted with dont get the smile or wave.
Im not saying its even possible to be entirely neutral, its easy to smile on your friends..
but by that same token the meaning of the like button has shifted from liking the photo , to- I like that person.
One could just say they like them, or have chats with them apart from the photo thing.. and then they should know that you guys are friendly.
I like eyelight , we've been discussing some stuff and hes pretty cool guy. But if he likebuttons my pix I'd want to know why,, or at least that it was his genuine general sentiment on it.
Then I would be getting potentially useful feedback. If the button is uses otherwise, it becomes a popularity contest for personalities.

This site is a community and of course people do have their friends and it doesn't do any harm to like each others pics. I enjoy seeing the names on the bottom because it at least lets you know someone has made some effort having looked at my pic. There is the Photo Evaluation thread but it doesn't get used much. So I agree maybe a lighter version for feedback might help.

mikew_RIP

At the end of the day its only a like button,its not a this is the greatest shot i have ever seen button,a photo forum is nothing with out photos and if the like button encourages members to post pictures then it has to be good,as Dave said if you want more post in the evaluation section.

Stoshowicz

This site is a community and of course people do have their friends and it doesn't do any harm to like each others pics. I enjoy seeing the names on the bottom because it at least lets you know someone has made some effort having looked at my pic. There is the Photo Evaluation thread but it doesn't get used much. So I agree maybe a lighter version for feedback might help.

Thats all Im saying too.

Stoshowicz

Another forum i know allows you to select the level of critique you want,dont know if its a good idea or not

Where- whos that? Id like to see how that plays. ( your pix look a hundred times better on flickr by the way)

underlining to me that perhaps more important than dislike buttons would be allowing greater file sizes by limiting uploads or deleting older stuff after a period of time if neccesary so we could actually see the photos better.

Last edited: