Likes system updated - Best answer, Unthank/Unlike and Dislike added

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I like the changes, but on some threads I can only see a best answer or dislike, there is no thanks/like.

Is this meant to be? Or should there still be a like/thanks, dislike and best answer?

There are different options on different forums depending on the subject.

If a post is disliked into the darkness, does it flag it for staff to have a look see to make certain it was worthy of removal?

No, only reporting a post does that. I think if 5 more people dislike a thread than like it, it's worthy of being hidden. FYI, you can still expand it to read it, if that's the case.

kevy73

There are different options on different forums depending on the subject.

Thats a bugger - I had to mark everyones posts as the best answer instead of just liking them as I would have previously - which kinda defeats the purpose of best answer doesn't it?

Bob Blaylock

I want to try out a Dislike button. If it doesn't work or causes too much trouble, I'll disable it.
Here's how it works:
  • The dislike works like a down vote and can actually hide a post if it gets too many dislikes (currently when (dislikes - likes) >= 5)
  • No one can see who clicked on dislikes, only that a post has x number of dislikes
  • Only experienced members, staff, and contributing members can use dislikes

I've never seen it done before on this type of forum, but it always has seemed to me, as a matter of balance, that if there's a “Like” button, then there should be a “Dislike” button as well to balance it.

I don't think one should be anonymous and the other not. If clicking a “Like” button publicly records that I expressed a positive opinion of a post, then I think the “Dislike” button, equally, should publicly record that I expressed a negative opinion of that post. I think “Like” and “Dislike” should be treated equally; and I think it fair that a score be generated reflecting the difference between the two.

I do not think that a low score (too many more dislikes than likes) should result in a post being hidden. I see “Dislike” as merely an expression of a disagreement or otherwise negative opinion of a post; not as a statement that others shouldn't be allowed to see it. If someone believes that a particular post is truly unsuitable to be allowed to be seen on this forum, then I believe that the only recourse should be to contact the moderators, and ask them to remove it; and this should be done on the basis of the post being judged to be truly unsuitable and/or inappropriate for this forum, and not just because it is unpopular.

J-see

While there's nothing wrong with liking or disliking, whenever such results in censorship -in whatever form that might be- in the long run, that seldom leads to anything beneficial. Before you know it, you're knee-deep into intellectual or aesthetical Jihadism.

Inappropriate however is something completely different.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Thats a bugger - I had to mark everyones posts as the best answer instead of just liking them as I would have previously - which kinda defeats the purpose of best answer doesn't it?

I can easily change the options. My intention isn't to have unnecessary buttons though. For example, I didn't include the like button in the Q&A forum because the 'best answer' should be chosen instead of liking. There are cases were both are necessary because we don't know if the first post is a question or not.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Okay - I changed "Dislike" to "Disagree". I think "Disagree" works the same way I was envisioning, but doesn't have a nasty overtone like "Dislike". What do you think?

Anco

I can easily change the options. My intention isn't to have unnecessary buttons though. For example, I didn't include the like button in the Q&A forum because the 'best answer' should be chosen instead of liking. There are cases were both are necessary because we don't know if the first post is a question or not.

Even where the first post is a question, there are times when we might want to like a post that isn't a direct answer to the original question. It may be a response to the original question, or a funny comment or something else that I like but isn't a "best answer"

mikew_RIP

Am i to understand we have lost the notification of likes,quotes ect at the top of the page when we log on and only get notified by mail or have i got something set wrong

traceyjj

Am i to understand we have lost the notification of likes,quotes ect at the top of the page when we log on and only get notified by mail or have i got something set wrong
I was wondering the same thing... have liked the post see if you can see the notification :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Even where the first post is a question, there are times when we might want to like a post that isn't a direct answer to the original question. It may be a response to the original question, or a funny comment or something else that I like but isn't a "best answer"

Alrighty - I changed this.

It should be exactly the same as before, but now there is an option to get an email if you want. If you're getting emails then the option is set here: http://nikonites.com/thanks.php?do=profile&action=options

Bob Blaylock

Okay - I changed "Dislike" to "Disagree". I think "Disagree" works the same way I was envisioning, but doesn't have a nasty overtone like "Dislike". What do you think?

I'm not sure I really agree with this semantic change.

As the concept of “Like” has been established on Facebook, on forums, and other social media, I use it to “Like” something with which I agree. But I also use it to express approval of something that was posted, that may not be an opinion with which it is relevant to agree or disagree, but which evokes a positive reaction in me.

It seems to me that the opposite of a “Like” should be something to indicate a post with which I disagree, but also, absent any real point with which to agree or disagree, just something that evokes a negative reaction in me—something I don't like. I think “Dislike” is a more appropriate term for it.

Anco

@jdeg How's that working out for you, trying to please everyone? Your job is tough!!! You're doing a stellar job of it though and it's much appreciated. :encouragement:

Eyelight

If a post is disliked into the darkness, does it flag it for staff to have a look see to make certain it was worthy of removal?

That I don't know. JDEG will have to answer that or if enough people dislike this post it should pop up for me to see possibly.

Interesting. I disliked the post and then had an undislike button and best answer button. I then clicked best answer and lost the undislike button.

Because the two are opposite. You can't dislike it AND think it is the best answer.

Not so. That is exactly what I did. The dislike and the best answer are mine.

Actually, you shouldn't be able to dislike a post and mark it as best answer - I just fixed that.

The fix immortalized the phenomenon of the disliked best answer as the un-best answer button went away, so I can no longer change either. That's OK, unless the dislike somehow counts against Don, in which case, it would be nice if it can be removed.

I think the members will define how the Dislike/Disagree is used. I think as long as they can be changed, and are not anonymous, they will be used sparingly by the prudent member. And, if not used sparingly, well, that will tell us something too.

hrstrat57

I dislike disagree and dislike dislike.....have many other places in my life to go to seek negativity if I so desire.

Wasn't super crazy about like either but it was friendly and positive and thus I came to like like.....

Unlike disagree and dislike which I do not like.

Blacktop

I dislike disagree and dislike dislike.....have many other places in my life to go to seek negativity if I so desire.

Wasn't super crazy about like either but it was friendly and positive and thus I came to like like.....

Unlike disagree and dislike which I do not like.

I can understand not liking "dislike" but disagreeing is not necessarily a negative thing. Disagreeing can lead to a conversation that may bring positive results.