Lightroom issues with NEF file format

I love my Nikon z fc perfect for me small enough to take with you at all times and good enough to take great photos.
Have old lightroom classic programme (not subscription) and it does not recognise the file format!
Any suggestions as to how to solve problem?
Do not want to subscribe, far too expensive for the hobbiest!

Using a Windows 12 laptop

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

LR frequently releases updates that recognizes various camera RAW formats. Nikon deems it necessary to encode their NEF (RAW) files with specific camera models... The Z series cameras have been released since your outdated LR version has been updated... I haven't tried it, but I suspect if you pre-process the Nikon NEF files from your Z camera with Adobe's DNG converter, that your older outdated version of LR will then recognize the converted DNG files... as a work-around...

LR frequently releases updates that recognizes various camera RAW formats. Nikon deems it necessary to encode their NEF (RAW) files with specific camera models... The Z series cameras have been released since your outdated LR version has been updated... I haven't tried it, but I suspect if you pre-process the Nikon NEF files from your Z camera with Adobe's DNG converter, that your older outdated version of LR will then recognize the converted DNG files... as a work-around...
Thanks, yes have thought about using DNG converter.

Sadly LR not updating my old programme 😔

Fred Kingston

Thanks, yes have thought about using DNG converter.

Sadly LR not updating my old programme 😔
That's a pretty old version... There are so many newer, better enhancements to LR at this point, they're not even close.... You really should consider the new $9.99 subscription. There are many free programs as @Marilynne mentioned...

That's a pretty old version... There are so many newer, better enhancements to LR at this point, they're not even close.... You really should consider the new $9.99 subscription. There are many free programs as @Marilynne mentioned...
Will look at the free programs. Cannot justify the £9.99 per month for occasional use.

Will also try the 'DNG' convertor.

Clovishound

When I got into digital photography last year, I tried NX studio. I have since moved on to Lightroom as my daughter decided to work in it. I found NX to have a very similar layout to LR. Now that I have learned more about LR, I'm not sure NX will do everything that LR will do, but it struck me as a good free program without the high learning curve of some of the others.

Some of the newer features of LR make it a very capable program.

When I got into digital photography last year, I tried NX studio. I have since moved on to Lightroom as my daughter decided to work in it. I found NX to have a very similar layout to LR. Now that I have learned more about LR, I'm not sure NX will do everything that LR will do, but it struck me as a good free program without the high learning curve of some of the others.

Some of the newer features of LR make it a very capable program.
Yes found it similar functionality to LR. Using mostly for metadata and a little fine tuning of images

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The DNG converter will make a copy of your NEF by converting its info and creating a DNG file. Converting to DNG means you can still do the same things in Lightroom that did with NEF. I *think* the difference is with NEF, there is a side card file added that contains all the edits. With DNG I think they are embedded in the files.

The DNG converter will make a copy of your NEF by converting its info and creating a DNG file. Converting to DNG means you can still do the same things in Lightroom that did with NEF. I *think* the difference is with NEF, there is a side card file added that contains all the edits. With DNG I think they are embedded in the files.
Thanks, might have a go with convertor later as all my previous phots are there. Also use for documents and photos I have digitised.

Fred Kingston

Thanks, might have a go with convertor later as all my previous phots are there. Also use for documents and photos I have digitized.
If you have all your photos in the Lightroom Catalogue... I'm pretty sure you can just export those images directly as DNG files without the need for Adobe's DNG Conversion program... If you get comfortable with Nikon's NX, I think you can just directly import the NEF files and NX should read them fine... As is typical, there are probably 10 ways to get to the same results.... Good luck... and Welcome to the forum...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I love my Nikon z fc perfect for me small enough to take with you at all times and good enough to take great photos.
Have old lightroom classic programme (not subscription) and it does not recognise the file format!
Any suggestions as to how to solve problem?
Do not want to subscribe, far too expensive for the hobbiest!

Using a Windows 12 laptop
CameraRaw image filename extensionCamera matching profile availableMinimum Camera Raw plug-in version requiredMinimum Lightroom version requiredMinimum Lightroom Classic version requiredMinimum Lightroom Perpetual version required
Z fcNEFYes
13.4​
4.4​
10.4​
-​

You can always check camera support here

CameraRaw image filename extensionCamera matching profile availableMinimum Camera Raw plug-in version requiredMinimum Lightroom version requiredMinimum Lightroom Classic version requiredMinimum Lightroom Perpetual version required
Z fcNEFYes
13.4​
4.4​
10.4​
-​

You can always check camera support here
Thank you, yes we did this.