Landscapes

Flugelbinder

Gentlemen, I am here to learn. I really am glad to know that are people willing to "see" beyond the rules. But I still think we are the minority...

Horoscope Fish

I see the the Rule of Thirds as a tool like any other compositional guideline and but one of many. The key with these guidelines is not simply in using, or not using, any particular technique, but in *how* the technique is used or not used. If you don't know how to compose a shot, try the RoT's and see what you get. If it's not working try the Golden Ratio, try an Offset Triangle, try whatever. I know of six or eight such compositional guidelines and while the the RoT's is not always the "right" answer, meaning the very best of the lot all the time; it has never been the wrong answer in my, admittedly limited, experience.

Further, I don't think there is any dearth of those who want to "see beyond" (read: abandon) compositional guidelines, I think there is an abundance of those who do not truly understand how to use them *effectively* to begin with and even fewer know how to *not* to use them effectively. We so often want to run before we can crawl.

Horoscope Fish

I apologize for the already long off-topic, but do you think Ansel Adams´s images would be so fantastic if he didn´t use it?
I think the question belabors the point since the tool of the craftsman does not do the crafting.

AA's images are spectacular because AA understood what he was doing. Had he chosen to express a particular vision differently I'm quite certain the resultant image would be no less stupendous but rather equally stupendous in a different way.

Just my proverbial two-cents...

Dave_W

The Dude
I apologize for the already long off-topic, but do you think Ansel Adams´s images would be so fantastic if he didn´t use it?

Where's the rule here?

aac02.jpg

Or here

Tenaya_Lake_Clouds_R_1440S.jpg

Guidelines are not laws. Each image requires its own space. Limiting that space will limit your photography

Flugelbinder

Excellent, although I own the first image and I do feel that the "rule" applies there, it makes feel more confidant in trying other approaches... Thank you and, I am sorry if I have been incorrect or impolite in any way. Again, I am here to learn (which I already have today) and learning with others means discussions and different points of view.

wud

I love this debate :) don't stop for my sake.

I've written a little about it before, there are also a guideline called triangle compositions: http://www.photographyicon.com/shape/ which I think can help create a very dynamic image. And many more guidelines.

But I must admit, I've always been a centered photographer, I often try different crops but end up where I started - centered. Not every image of course.
At the time, I'm drawn to flat or curvy lines through the middle, just gotta make it work :)

Scott, will look at your image when I'm on a computer, thanks. On my way home from work, it's so late here now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RON_RIP

I am with Horoscope. The craftsman selects the tool that will produce the result the craftsman seeks.. Guiding principals May color our decision but in the we must follow our own vision and select or reject tools or principals that do not lead to the desired result. " The life so short, the art so long to learn"..

dramtastic

I've never been to a photography course so the only time I hear about photography 'rules' are from people who have, or, people who haven't and read forums and then think these rules are gospel. I never even looked at WUD's examples and started analysing them from a technical point of view. Guess I'm not really much of an anorak when it comes to photography. My connection to images is mostly visceral. WUD's shots expressed a mood for me, maybe not the one she was trying to portray, never the less I felt something, a certain stark beauty with a touch of melancholy. Keep shooting the way you like WUD, your style is unique. Hope everyone else does the same, well, within the rules. ;)

Flugelbinder

Like I said before, I have been doing this for one year and a half, not 40. Haven´t attended any courses either, but have read a lot and "seen" a great deal of images (from the masters to the most unknown amateur). Art, in every form it takes (painting, music, Wood work, cooking, etc...) is subjective. It is not logic. You either "feel" it (read like it), or you don´t. For example, I like Kandinsky and most people I know, don´t (to be honest, I don´t think most people know his work)... The same goes for Dali, although his images have always been more "mainstream". The same subjectiveness applies to photography. What works (visually and aesthetically) for one person, may not work for anoher, so I guess all this shouting about the rule of thirds (which was the first, the others are only derivatives) is just that, shouting. It´s not about the horizon being 2 thirds up or down. It´s about the use of negative space. Landscape or portrait..._DSC3343.jpg This was just to try my new 24-58...

wud

Like I said before, I have been doing this for one year and a half, not 40. Haven´t attended any courses either, but have read a lot and "seen" a great deal of images (from the masters to the most unknown amateur). Art, in every form it takes (painting, music, Wood work, cooking, etc...) is subjective. It is not logic. You either "feel" it (read like it), or you don´t. For example, I like Kandinsky and most people I know, don´t (to be honest, I don´t think most people know his work)... The same goes for Dali, although his images have always been more "mainstream". The same subjectiveness applies to photography. What works (visually and aesthetically) for one person, may not work for anoher, so I guess all this shouting about the rule of thirds (which was the first, the others are only derivatives) is just that, shouting. It´s not about the horizon being 2 thirds up or down. It´s about the use of negative space. Landscape or portrait...View attachment 63264 This was just to try my new 24-58...

Well, what the eyes see, have nothing to do with how long you've been shooting :)

About your image, I would have tried to clear out of the wooden building (or what it is) in the background. I like the blurred out tree more as a background.

And actually, thats what have helped me most in my photography, learning to clear out all the un-important stuff in the frame.

wud

So here is a few more, which breaks some guidelines :p

Who would have known, I would suddenly start to love this weather?? Images are taken while we were driving, I just sat there looking and loved this new view of what I normally found dull and dreary.

Yesterday a friend said one of the images (number 3 in the first post) reminded him of the mood in Antichrist (the movie, if you've seen it). That was huge!

von_posten_3434_web.jpg
von_posten_3437_web.jpg

Last edited:

wud

Todays tour, weird its december and looking like this, we should have snow or at least temperature under 0. One place I found green grass..

ny_landskab_maybe_3617_web.jpg

ny_landskab_maybe_3676_web.jpg