January Monthly contest

wornish

If someone is willing to share the necessary info I am happy to try and program an automated "like" counter. I am not a master programmer but this I think can be done with some scripting and I am happy to give it a try, no promisses but the offer is there.
No charges all for Free !

Is this something @jdeg can provide ?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If someone is willing to share the necessary info I am happy to try and program an automated "like" counter. I am not a master programmer but this I think can be done with some scripting and I am happy to give it a try, no promisses but the offer is there.
No charges all for Free !

Is this something @jdeg can provide ?

It may be complicated to do with the caching system that we use. Otherwise you get queries running every time someone loads a thread page, which would definitely slow things down. I did request this as a feature for the plugin we use a while ago. They haven't added it, but are considering it for a feature.

Eyelight

Just a note for what it is worth. It took roughly 20 minutes to parse the finalist and post the poll for the weekly challenge tonight.

There were:

13 entries
2 Yellow Bannered 10+Likes
1 with 8 likes
3 with 7 likes
2 with 6 likes

I counted the 8 and the 7's several times to make sure the 8 wasn't a 7 and none of the 7's were an 8.

If the 8 had been a 7, there would have been 6 finalists, so 1 Like can make a big difference.

The like system really doesn't work well as a judging system. It's OK for the weekly challenge first round, because we can usually count the entries in a few minutes.

Hmmmm.. I have an idea!!

JPar

What if you do top 10 with the most "likes" and that becomes the "finalist" for the monthly challenge?

Shorten the entry time to 3 weeks. The final week is to judge the final 10. Top 5 get featured.

Winner gets a pat on the back.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
The like system really doesn't work well as a judging system. It's OK for the weekly challenge first round, because we can usually count the entries in a few minutes.

Hmmmm.. I have an idea!!

I agree with this. On the weekly challenge, I have seen on some of the challenges where the winner by voting was on the bottom of the finalists by the like system. I have also noticed that on many of the weekly challenges the first entries usually receive more likes than the entries at the end of the challenge. This is normal for the setup. The first entries are (I'm guessing) are seen by more and thus are liked by more. I do feel that the first entries deserve slightly more merit because they took the step first. Ha! Not complaining about any of this, just observing.

gephotography

Because of time constraints with the way I work, sometime I find the weekly contest hard to get out, take the shot and get it entered during the brief time frame. However, I do find the monthly challenge better suited for the time I have to shoot and get something posted. Its also very nice to have the motivation to get out and shoot when I may not normally do so. With all that said, I hope a solution can be reached and the monthly challenge can continue.

Wolfeye

Let's be honest. Contests like these monthly ones are both photography contests as well as popularity contests. Piss off one, or two of the moderators, and even a well-deserved photographic masterpiece will get nowhere in the judging.

wornish

Let's be honest. Contests like these monthly ones are both photography contests as well as popularity contests. Piss off one, or two of the moderators, and even a well-deserved photographic masterpiece will get nowhere in the judging.

Not seen many of your entries in the last year.
No one forces you to enter , if you don't like the thread idea don't enter . Simple!
this site is not like many others please don't pre judge.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The way the Assignment's pictures are selected is based on the "likes" system. So they are counted and from there the five pics with most "likes" get in the pool of selection. From there, mods vote on which ones to keep as the top five. So you could piss off any mod and still be a winner.

Whiskeyman

Maybe somewhat true, but angering or annoying a lot of the members would be more likely to cause a problem. I don't get too wrapped around the axle about much on here, but I do exercise the ignore button when I feel like doing so. If a lot of folks are ignoring your posts, then they aren't liking your image, and you are less likely to even get to the moderators...

The best way to win is to enter really good photos.

WM

mikew_RIP

What ever floats your boat,if you dont like it ignore it.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry for January Monthly Assignment break, but I wanted to let you know that the February Monthly Assignment has been posted just today. I hope you will all participate.