Insects with non macro lenses

Fortkentdad

The three bee pics I just posted in post your insects were shot with my old F60 Kit lens - an AF 28-80 using my D610.

I think this link will get you there: http://nikonites.com/learning-photography/607-post-your-insect-shots-152.html#axzz34kxjfixb

95482d1402877460-post-your-insect-shots-bee-lilac_dsc0220.jpg

wev

Contributor
I guess I need a ruling -- my new Tam 16-300 is a telephoto, but with a focus point of only 5", its a pretty nice 1:2.9 macro

Bee.jpg

Bee1.jpg

Last edited:

wev

Contributor
So far, very much. I have not had time to give it a workout and am just getting a feel for its mojo. Off to a park this morning, so if the June gloom lifts, should give it a good testing.

Tom Grove

This was shot with my 18-55mm kit lens. I ran it through Photomatix and then cropped it... I chose to feature the whole rose bud instead of just the ladybug or the ant (the ant was a bonus).

DSC_1792_tonemapped.jpg

Last edited:

wev

Contributor
This was shot with my 18-55mm kit lens. I ran it through Photomatix and then cropped it... I chose to feature the whole rose bud instead of just the ladybug or the ant (the ant was a bonus).

To say nothing of the myriad aphids -- no wonder the ladybug is looking so happy -- nice shot

STM

This one may qualify or maybe not. This image was taken with a 50mm f/1.4 AI Nikkor reversed and mounted on a PB-6 bellows, shown below on my F4S and with my auxiliary rail for lateral movement as well . I photographed this red-legged grasshopper (about 1" long) in my homemade light tent. This really is a very good combination! I have to add my PK-13 to the F4S because it will not fit the bellows due to the motor drive. I do not have that problem with the D700 because I can simply remove the battery pack.

Last edited:

aroy

This is one small spider, romping on my external wall. Initial shots with 18-55 at 55mm and then with 35mm. These are 100% crops.

DSC_7283.jpg

DSC_7286.jpg

DSC_7293.jpg

DSC_7294.jpg

DSC_7300.jpg

DSC_7302.jpg

STM

This is one small spider, romping on my external wall. Initial shots with 18-55 at 55mm and then with 35mm. These are 100% crops.

Jumping spiView attachment 97820

View attachment 97821

View attachment 97822

View attachment 97823

View attachment 97824

View attachment 97825

Jumping spiders are really cool little buggers. I think the two huge eyes and the odd colors they can be really set them apart from other spiders. They also see very well for insects. Most spiders do not see well at all which I find truly amazing given how beautiful and intricate their webs can be.