Insects with non macro lenses

mikew_RIP

Sigma 120-400 must count as none macro :D

DSC_2312.jpg

Elliot87

Here's a few I managed to get today. I was mostly using my 55-200 and then cropped the images to get something like a macro feel.

DSC_0081.jpg
Hover fly having a drink

DSC_0051.jpg
Fly looking like he's ready to pounce.

DSC_0054.jpg
Another fly on a leaf.

DSC_0123.jpg
I think this was a male hover fly trying to entice the female on the flower. It was hovering perfectly still above it for quite a while. Not long enough for me to get a shot in focus though unfortunately.

Elliot87

I've been impressed with it, especially how close it will focus. Mine isn't the latest VRII version which I imagine is marginally better. It will certainly do until I've saved up for a macro lens, which will problem come after I've bought a 70-300 and a 50 1.8, which I've just noticed would give me a very similar set up to you Aroy!

aroy

My 70-300 is pretty bad at 300, and its major utility is the 100-200 range.

Avoid 70-300 in all its iterations. The IQ at 300 is just not upto it. Get a shorter zoom, max 200, and then save for the 300 prime.

STM

I guess this qualifies. I shot this image with a 50mm f/1.4 AI Nikkor reversed. I used my BR-6 and attached a ring flash to the front of it. This hornet barely moved, in fact I had to prod it to move to the top of the nest so I could photograph it. The next day, my wife saw this nest above our front door and took it down with a broom. They never rebuilt it and have not returned this year.

STM

I had to look that song up to see what it was, but it made me laugh out loud when I heard it!

You must be a young'n. Many people covered that song but the most successful one was the McCoys in 1965 when I was 8. I used to listen to that song all the time on my AM transistor radio!