Impressive high ISO performance

salukfan111

DSC_0636.jpgDSC_0636.jpgNot a real sexy shot but here is a processed (mild) and noise reduction processed (kind of crushed) at 65000 iso.

Vincent

at 65000 iso.

This seems quite incredible for a DX, but still in EV situation of 25 (calculated here EV - Exposure Value, chart, calculator, and definition). Which is not when I would use it.
Examples of EV 10 or less would be more appropriate, since it will show low light high ISO.

========
P.S. the EV25 is not correct (see later post), still the issue with the definition of EV as combination between Aperture and Shutter speed versus EV as the light available in the scene.

Last edited:

salukfan111

This seems quite incredible for a DX, but still in EV situation of 25 (calculated here EV - Exposure Value, chart, calculator, and definition). Which is not when I would use it.
Examples of EV 10 or less would be more appropriate, since it will show low light high ISO.
I only took the picture because it was dark and I was trying to get BIF and got tired of waiting for the falcon to roust the pigeons. I can't even imagine what that photo would have looked like with my D7100. I had taken off work to get a picture of the birds (falcons not pigeons) and shot what I could.

Vincent

I only took the picture because it was dark and I was trying to get BIF and got tired of waiting for the falcon to roust the pigeons....

I figured as much. But I got the calculation completely wrong.
f4 @1/2500s is an EV of 15 @ISO100
Now since you took this at about ISO64000 you must be more then 9 stops under that, so the light in the picture is about EV 6.
Indeed the high ISO performance is very good in this situation.

salukfan111

I figured as much. But I got the calculation completely wrong.
f4 @1/2500s is an EV of 15 @ISO100
Now since you took this at about ISO64000 you must be more then 9 stops under that, so the light in the picture is about EV 6.
Indeed the high ISO performance is very good in this situation.
The pigeons weren't going anywhere so I should have varied the shutter speed. I can't believe Law Enforcement and the military aren't sucking up every released D500.

Vincent

..so I should have varied the shutter speed...

I believe when you are waiting it is important to do test shots, even if the settings are not on the subject you are taking, but the subject you are waiting for. Especially to check if the ISO/shutter speed is in the range you would see acceptable.

================================

A test of the D500, with a "more reasonable" ISO comparison to the D750? Also some examples at high ISO of the D500.
Review By Richard | Nikon D500 Review (found via google on FredMiranda)