Impressive high ISO performance

salukfan111

How bout posting the original shot (fox in the dark) ? Better yet, a RAW file would be nice, to see just exactly how much NR was needed to achieve the final image. BTW, I have both FX and DX, and not at all hung up on any so called Kool Aid train. I have been waiting for a DX camera to outperform the D750 in high ISO quality. I am still however not convinced.
send me your email and I'll send the raws on at a time (they are big). The lens exif shows a 145mm at f4 but that is how my camera reads a tc16a and a 800mm f5.6 @ f/5.6.

J-see

Maybe the D500 *can* match the high-ISO performance of, say, the D750; I hope it can, all I'm saying is I'm not convinced it actually DOES just yet.

It only does when you don't know how a sensor works. I've shot close to 25K ISO equivalents with the D750 and got good results too. It isn't hard to get good high ISO shots when there's plenty of light.

Shoot both at 100 ISO while starving the sensor and you eliminate ISO noise reduction and arbitrary curving. Then you'll see the low light performance of the one vs the other.

Last edited:

Blacktop

It only does when you don't know how a sensor works. I've shot close to 25K ISO equivalents with the D750 and got good results too. It isn't hard to get good high ISO shots when there's plenty of light.

Why would you need 25K ISO shots when there is plenty of light?:indecisiveness: The whole point is to get the best (ISO) quality with the light that you have available.

J-see

Why would you need 25K ISO shots when there is plenty of light?:indecisiveness: The whole point is to get the best (ISO) quality with the light that you have available.

If I shoot my D810, or D7200 for that matter, out in the open I can easily pump up the ISO (or starve the sensor) and get good shots but the moment I take it, as an example, into the woods, where there is limited light and the whole range suffers low light, the differences immediately show.

Kevin H

If I shoot my D810, or D7200 for that matter, out in the open I can easily pump up the ISO (or starve the sensor) and get good shots but the moment I take it, as an example, into the woods, where there is limited light and the whole range suffers low light, the differences immediately show.

Thought you only shot is ISO 100

you said it a bunch of times

Vincent

I have been waiting for a DX camera to outperform the D750 in high ISO quality. I am still however not convinced.

I believe the examples of Salukfan are better references then you find most of the time, it is in situations where you would use high ISO, the examples show the D500 does a great job. Since canuk257 has D7200 experience, the way he describes it shows the D500 is better in low light.

I'm not convinced that technical analysis will show the D500 outperforms the D750 in noise at high ISO, we will have to see. However many seems to say that the D500 sensor with the EXPEED 5 processor gives easy to correct noise (which is difficult to test).

All that to come to a conclusion: the D500 with DX format new sensor, the new focus system and EXPEED 5 processor is a powerful package also at high ISO, maybe the D750 or D810 or D5 suits some styles of shooting better, there are certainly people who will do incredible shots with the D500 in low light.

salukfan111

I've got some accidental high iso shots of a fledgeling peregrine chasing a kingfisher. I was shooting stills of the young bird on a tree in full sun and it took off. I remembered to crank up the shutter speed but forgot to reduce the f/stop back down to maximum. They are 20 to 30k and I applied some noise reductions and no sharpening (other than export sharpening). It was a dark cover under a bluff. I was really excited until I imported them and saw what I did.

DSC_7836.jpgDSC_7837.jpgDSC_7860.jpgDSC_7996.jpgDSC_7997.jpgDSC_7998.jpgDSC_7999.jpgDSC_8000.jpg

Vincent

... the D500 with DX format new sensor, the new focus system and EXPEED 5 processor is a powerful package also at high ISO, maybe the D750 or D810 or D5 suits some styles of shooting better, there are certainly people who will do incredible shots with the D500 in low light.

I just read on another forum: If you need the reach, the D500 is the way to go. Since if you have to put a 1.4 teleconverter on the FX bodies, they loose almost all of the ISO advantage they have compared to the D500.

Any thoughts?

Blacktop

I just read on another forum: If you need the reach, the D500 is the way to go. Since if you have to put a 1.4 teleconverter on the FX bodies, they loose almost all of the ISO advantage they have compared to the D500.

Any thoughts?

What does a TC have to do with ISO? Not a thing.

salukfan111

It decreases aperture. A D500 with a 300mm f/2.8 at 2.8 vs a FF with a 1.4x TC III at f/2.8. Which is using lower iso to get the shot?

It's a long established fact that a D7100 is the most cost effective 1.5x tc out there. The D500 is better though. Most D500 shooters aren't shooting at 20 feet away from their subjects.

Blacktop

It decreases aperture. A D500 with a 300mm f/2.8 at 2.8 vs a FF with a 1.4x TC III at f/2.8. Which is using lower iso to get the shot?

It's a long established fact that a D7100 is the most cost effective 1.5x tc out there. The D500 is better though. Most D500 shooters aren't shooting at 20 feet away from their subjects.

If I'm shooting something with my D750 at F/8 and then slap a TC on the same lens and still shoot it at f/8, how is that degrading the ISO?

salukfan111

If I'm shooting something with my D750 at F/8 and then slap a TC on the same lens and still shoot it at f/8, how is that degrading the ISO?
The "real" aperture is decreased by the power of the tc. The TC costs you a full stop of light which has to be made up with iso.

Blacktop

The "real" aperture is decreased by the power of the tc. The TC costs you a full stop of light which has to be made up with iso.
What are you talking about, "real" aperture? F/8 is still f/8 with or without a TC
It's only costing me light, if I shoot at f/5.6 and then put a TC on so now I can only shoot at f/8 maximum.

Going from f/8 without a TC to f/8 with a TC is not costing me anything.

Vincent

We are talking that you shoot at the limit of what you can.

So imagine you have a 600mm f4 and you have to choose a camera for a far away subject:
- D500 + 600mm f4: gives a 900mm FOV @ f4
- D5 + TC2 + 600mm f4: gives a 840mm @ f5.6
(you might work with something further even)

I would probably shoot at 1/500, in a limit situation (not moving subject).
To have the same exposure I would need one stop extra on the D5 in ISO (e.g. D500 @ 6400; D5 @ 12800 ISO), which would give similar results in noise as the D500 according to the person making the argument.

The difference could be Dynamic Range, the kind of noise, etc... the person is making the argument that the issues introduced by the TC are pushing the Image Quality advantage to the D500.

Leif

The TC spreads out the light more, reducing the intensity ber pixel, since the amount going in the front is fixed. Alternatively, F4 goes to F5.6 and so on for a 1.4X TC. So yes the other poster is correct.

I used to use a D600 in DX mode, but I find it annoying, I prefer a true DX camera.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
A D500 with a 300mm f/2.8 at 2.8 vs a FF with a 1.4x TC III at f/2.8. Which is using lower iso to get the shot?

Umm, no. There is no f/2.8 when using that lens with a teleconverter because the largest aperture is now f/4. If you were aware of that, you should have stated FF with a 1.4x TC III at f/4.