i got pulled up again

Dawg Pics

I have never heard of not being able to use a passport for ID. It is the ultimate ID.
So, if you are from another country, you can't check into a hotel in Ca? That is just weird.
Calling a camera a weapon is weird as well. "Drop the camera"?????

Anyway, this thread has gotten way to serious for me. I come to Nikonites to get away from all of that. I am going to look at pretty images now. :)

BTW, I think part of the reason I don't do street photography is because I don't care for confrontation, and it is bound to happen.

Last edited:

csgaraglino

Years ago I used to get harassed when in public places with more than anything other than a point-n-shoot. I picked up a few T-Shirts with PHOTO on the back and that worked well, but I did at always have one on. A couple of years ago I bought a Yellow Construction Vest on Amazon and took it to a local T-Shirt shop and had PHOTO and my Company Name put on the back, cost me $8 bucks! I keep it in my truck at all times, and I have not been harassed since. The only bad thing about it is every Jerry with a camera wants to ask you for tips about why his Wal-mart kit won’t take sharp photos... oh well!
9e9a70262876b38e004903a2ba7e07a3.jpg
e688d262a9d2d4b1eb8f000551f5ba8f.jpg

Chris Sgaraglino
Widow Creek Photography
Freelance Photographer Tampa Florida

Last edited:
Years ago I used to get harassed when in public places with more than anything other than a point-n-shoot. I picked up a few T-Shirts with PHOTO on the back and that worked well, but I did at always have one on. A couple of years ago I bought a Yellow Construction Vest on Amazon and took it to a local T-Shirt shop and had PHOTO and my Company Name put on the back, cost me $8 bucks! I keep it in my truck at all times, and I have not been harassed since. The only bad thing about it is every Jerry with a camera wants to ask you for tips about why his Wal-mart kit won’t take sharp photos... oh well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell them you have one on one photo classes for $200 an hour. Ask them when they want their first lesson.

RocketCowboy

Chris Sgaraglino
Widow Creek Photography

That’s an excellent idea!

It’s a shame it’s come to that, but it also adds to the ‘professional’ nature of what you’re doing, and advertises for your company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy1961

Contributor

Chris Sgaraglino
Widow Creek Photography

it would look well with Nikonites Photography on it?

480sparky

Several years ago, I bought a new-to-me lens. I spent a few minutes with it the next afternoon taking photos of the local courthouse since I've grown up around it and have photographed it many times. As I was about done, I was walking to my truck and turned around to take one last photo when I guy asked me why I was taking photos.

I said, "Because I just got a new lens and wanted to try it out." He said, "But you can't do that!!!" I told him it was my lens and I could do with it as I pleased.

He proceeded to tell me it was illegal to take photos of the courthouse. I reminded him that I was on public property and I could take all the photos I wanted.

He then told me 'they' passed laws prohibiting taking photos of government buildings. Tired of his ignorance, I inquired who 'they' was..... city? County? State? Federal?

He replied he knows it's against the law. So I finally called his bluff. "Oh, since you've obviously looked up this 'law', then perhaps you could enlighten me exactly where you went to look it up. Tell me where this law is written down so I can go look at it myself and be as educated as you are."

He then went off on a tangent, responding with "Look, I spent 14 years in the Marines......." I cut him off and said, "Well, I certainly and sincerely thank you for your service. Just remember, you served, in part, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. Do you remember taking an oath to that effect? I'm just exercising the rights you swore to protect."

He just turned and walked away. I'm sure his wife/girlfriend, who was standing by their car, was on her phone..... I'm sure she was calling 911.

Texas

I had a tire blow out many years ago on a curve and my car left the road, just barely off the shoulder, before I got stopped. Changed the tire and as I was putting stuff back in the trunk a guy pulls up to me and says "you can't leave" "leaving the scene of an accident is illegal".

The world is full of officious people and a crazy law or two. There's a book called "Three felonies a day".

People who interject themselves into a stranger's space are asking for trouble and I do hope they get some.

Last edited:

C. Hand

Nothing like that, but one day I Was leaving work and I could see an AWACs plane (not the one I shot for this weeks challenge) from the 4th floor of work, I knew that meant touch and goes, so I hurried to the car and drove to the road near the end of the runway. Now i was on a public road and you could not see the Air Force base for the trees, but had a clear shot of them coming up over the trees very low. I was there 5 minutes and one go-round of the plane and a Oklahoma City police car drove up. They asked me what I was doing, I told them I was photographing the airplanes taking off, I was told I could take pictures towards the Air Force base. I pointed out that I was standing on a public street and the base was not able to bee seen because of the trees, about that time a second officer got out of the car. I have full respect for our military and their security and safety, so when I was asked to delete the pictures, I reluctantly did. If it was any other situation I would have fought for my rights.

The pictures I have taken since then have been on a road about a two miles further away.

csgaraglino

Again, get a vest! Not a single incident since and I have shot everything from personal to commercial. I also have a scanner in my truck, and if available, I’ll shoot car accidents, fires, special events, etc. I always make sure that I am never in the way of anything going, but I have yet to be asked “what are you doing”. Just saying, when you look official and look like your working, most busy-bodies leave you alone.

Chris Sgaraglino
Widow Creek Photography

480sparky

..........so when I was asked to delete the pictures, I reluctantly did. If it was any other situation I would have fought for my rights.................

Funny how the cops tell you it's illegal....... then demand you destroy the evidence. I've never understood that logic.

Either way, if I ever delete images, I just wait until they're gone, replace the card, then do a file recovery on the images when I get home to the computer.

Another tactic: If your camera has dual memory cards, keep in mind when you delete an image it only deletes it on one card. So if your second card is set to back-up, you still have the image(s) there.