I cannot believe how little people participate in this forum

wud

Lots of responses to this post of mine.

So, in a perfect forum, what exactly would/should happen in the Photo Critique forum if someone actually posted correctly?

Are their specific members who would post up the critique or, if I understood correctly, are there not enough pro photographers here with enough experience/knowledge to promptly offer the critique?

Maybe a catchy title would help, to lure in whomever knows some about the subject? I mean, there is a huge difference between all the different categories - I would do my best to critique a dog pic, but probably not landscape as I really don't know much about that category. I dont think we should expect the pro photographers to have the time doing it on every image, they have a job too - the beauty would be if everybody took a little time offering just 1 or 2 ideas, maybe you dont know enough about xxx but you know about the golden ratio (or something else).

Horoscope Fish

Lots of responses to this post of mine.

So, in a perfect forum, what exactly would/should happen in the Photo Critique forum if someone actually posted correctly?

Are their specific members who would post up the critique or, if I understood correctly, are there not enough pro photographers here with enough experience/knowledge to promptly offer the critique?
Well, personally... I think in a "Perfect World" scenario there would be a handful of professionally trained, highly experienced and congenial photographers who were willing to give up some of their time doing things like running their business and actually making money to critique the photos of mere mortals such as myself.

While I don't mind giving some general feedback on another posters photo from time to time, I don't feel I have the credentials to be considered any kind of actual authority on photography. That being the case I tend to hang out in the more relaxed "Feedback" threads. What has worked for me on those occasions I want a really in-depth critique of a particular photo of my own, is PM'ing someone here on the forums whose opinion I particularly respect asking them specifically to give their input. This has lead to some very good dialogues that have helped me immensely and I might suggest you try this approach. Taking the conversation to PM keeps it out of the public eye which can only be beneficial in my opinion.

So, in short, I think the answer to your questions lie in the fact that most of us around here simply don't feel qualified to give in-depth, professional-level critiques, *especially* using the required format. I could be wrong of course, but I feel pretty sure that's pretty much the the long and short of it.

Mike D90

Well, personally... I think in a "Perfect World" scenario there would be a handful of professionally trained, highly experienced and congenial photographers who were willing to give up some of their time doing things like running their business and actually making money to critique the photos of mere mortals such as myself.

While I don't mind giving some general feedback on another posters photo from time to time, I don't feel I have the credentials to be considered any kind of actual authority on photography. That being the case I tend to hang out in the more relaxed "Feedback" threads. What has worked for me on those occasions I want a really in-depth critique of a particular photo of my own, is PM'ing someone here on the forums whose opinion I particularly respect asking them specifically to give their input. This has lead to some very good dialogues that have helped me immensely and I might suggest you try this approach. Taking the conversation to PM keeps it out of the public eye which can only be beneficial in my opinion.

So, in short, I think the answer to your questions lie in the fact that most of us around here simply don't feel qualified to give in-depth, professional-level critiques, *especially* using the required format. I could be wrong of course, but I feel pretty sure that's pretty much the the long and short of it.

Perfect answer and I thank you. I also like the idea you gave me to PM someone for a critique. I actually never even thought about that.

Back to the main thought. I surely never intended to try to imply that anyone should be obligated to spend time critiquing a photo for anyone else. I just figured since that section, this section I guess, exists it would actually be used. I just found it odd that it had so little activity. Now I understand why.

WhiteLight

Though I agree to a great extent to what you've said here, I think I want to disagree in respect to this forum.
If the moderators and the pros and really senior folk feel they are not 'qualified' enough to give a proper critique in this section, then wouldn't it make this this section moot..?

I know Helene @ohkphoto gives a detailed critique to everyone who posts here... She's been missing in action off late looks like..
I have had a few critiques from her and a couple others when I started shooting a year back and I can't shout loud enough to say how much it's helped. If my photography has improved at all, I owe a great deal to the honest critiques I received.
When I posted my images for critique, I was unsure of many things about photography. Now when I get the feedback from someone and that benefits me would I care if the person is qualified or if he's a pro?
Not really cos in terms of my shooting level probably every other member here would've been more than qualified.

People need direction and just the nudge to make sure they are doing right or wrong.
Feedback can be given in the regular feedback section, but it's not a critique. You don't really get in depth ideas. Just a 'good shot, nice, great, I love it..' can probably boost the ego but will not help the person be a better photographer.

As a community we are relatively new, so we need to make the best of what we have.. And believe me or not, we have some really good photographers here with a lot of common sense that will help new folks for sure..
You have to be honest in a critique section.
If someone doesn't like it, don't post. Leave a sticky or something stating the same.
The way I see it, the 12 point system is overwhelming and is a task which takes time and that's more a reason than any qualifications.

Sorry for the long post but we've had these discussions so many times it's not funny.
It was only after one such major discussion that the critique section was split into feedback and critique.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: