I cannot believe how little people participate in this forum

WhiteLight

I have a suggestion-
Make it mandatory for every post in this section to have at least 2 or 3 mods/super mods offer their critique.
This way, the content posted can be monitored & only posts adhering to rules will be looked into.
The feedback provided by senior members specially mods are invaluable to people posting here.
Plus other members too can learn the way the 12 point system & may eventually be able to offer their critique effectively as well.

I understand the way the critique forum has formed with the rating system is quite over powering, but you guys are cutting yourselves short!
I've heard lot of very talented people whose advice is often valued saying they don't think they at a 'level' which allows them to post.
Not true!

BackdoorArts

Honestly, I try to give feedback when I feel I'm qualified to give it. As was mentioned, when it's just a photo with not a whole lot else other than , "What do you think?", I often don't know how to respond.

Personally, I don't use it as I'm not necessarily looking for that type of critical feedback (I have other qualified sources). I post more photos than I should in a 365 thread and am more than open to critique, criticism and/or feedback that might be offered there.

I get the whole 12 point system, but I am by no means schooled in it enough to use it. Personally, I understand why the moderators implement the rules the way they do, but I think it keeps a lot of folks from using it, and scares a few off after the wrist slap they get for using the forum incorrectly.

Jonathan

This is an outlet where I, as an enthusiastic amateur, can post my oeuvre to share with similarly interested people. I otherwise have no other outlet (other than Flickr) and I want people to see and like my work, offer improvements as they see fit (although I don't ask for them I'd appreciate them) and for me to get ideas and suggestions from other online photo-philes. I admit I haven't read the rules, for which my apologies but as long as I don't slag people off or denigrate other's efforts I reckon I'm safe and welcome. Too many rules and I'll bugger off. I know I need to join a local club but I can't find any that look suitable for me so until that happens you're all stuck with me. And I'm happy to be here.

Brian

That is why we have to separate sections. You want the Feedback section.

The OP posted a thread about participation in this forum. I believe that most members prefer a less formal forum -like the feedback forum- than this one, which is very formal. My attempt to explain low participation.

Mike D90

And in my complaining, that no one was using this forum, I read the rules again and I see that my critiques of others photos have all been done incorrectly.

This is an outlet where I, as an enthusiastic amateur, can post my oeuvre to share with similarly interested people. I otherwise have no other outlet (other than Flickr) and I want people to see and like my work, offer improvements as they see fit (although I don't ask for them I'd appreciate them) and for me to get ideas and suggestions from other online photo-philes. I admit I haven't read the rules, for which my apologies but as long as I don't slag people off or denigrate other's efforts I reckon I'm safe and welcome. Too many rules and I'll bugger off. I know I need to join a local club but I can't find any that look suitable for me so until that happens you're all stuck with me. And I'm happy to be here.

We like to think we have a place for almost everyone. For the most part we are pretty forgiving. Generally we just move the thread to where it fits best and leave it at that. Some people like the detailed Critique so that is why we have it there but I do agree that it is not the best place for most people. We added the feedback section a few months back to fill the need for those people who wanted a less formal place to get opinions on their photos.

The main RULE we have is to be nice and courteous to everyone. As long as you are nice (and you have been) you are very welcome here.

Last edited:

wud

I like the choice! I have posted a few images in this section and think I got some points I could use. Although I must admit, the points came from the written word and not the 12 point system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Murray

I agree that alot of photos aren't being critiqued and honestly if I had the knowledge and know how and then the ability to put it into words then I would critique. As far as I am concerned I am a hobbyist and should not be critiquing anything, but I also know what I like but the issue there is others may not like my perspective or point of view. I do not really care if someone gets offended if I offer an opinion but I like to be able to offer an educated one. I feel that the ones that have posted a photo with no "intent' stated then that is open slather and we can pick that to death, as what I am thinking is they have shot a photo and its turned out good and looks good, why? or how? they probably do not know so critique is not always about the bad things in the photo but also the positives. I guess we need to be more open in critiquing and know that the people that place a photo in that section EXPECT to be torn to shreds. So no playing nice guy, say it how it is and be done with it. I am personally going to try and be pro-active and critique anyones photo regardless of skill level as i may see something that others do not.

Jonathan

I agree that alot of photos aren't being critiqued and honestly if I had the knowledge and know how and then the ability to put it into words then I would critique. As far as I am concerned I am a hobbyist and should not be critiquing anything, but I also know what I like but the issue there is others may not like my perspective or point of view. I do not really care if someone gets offended if I offer an opinion but I like to be able to offer an educated one. I feel that the ones that have posted a photo with no "intent' stated then that is open slather and we can pick that to death, as what I am thinking is they have shot a photo and its turned out good and looks good, why? or how? they probably do not know so critique is not always about the bad things in the photo but also the positives. I guess we need to be more open in critiquing and know that the people that place a photo in that section EXPECT to be torn to shreds. So no playing nice guy, say it how it is and be done with it. I am personally going to try and be pro-active and critique anyones photo regardless of skill level as i may see something that others do not.

And I'm now stalking you on Flickr! You may consider yourself a hobbyist but in my opinion the quality of your macro work is absolutely bloody magical, mate.

Browncoat

The biggest problems with the critique and feedback forum are:

1) As already stated, most of the thread creators don't read the rules when posting their photo. You're supposed to offer up the EXIF data and a brief description. Most people just upload a photo of their cat and wonder why no one responds.

2) Generally, most who are offering up a photo for feedback and critique are actually looking for affirmation. They're looking for "good job", "looks great", and "I like that" and not any meaningful tips on how to improve. This puts everyone at odds. You don't know if you should offer up an honest opinion and risk hurting someone's feelings.

3) The 12 point...what? That system certainly has it's place, but this community is by and large hobbyists and amateurs. There's really no value in the 12 point system here.

Scott Murray

The biggest problems with the critique and feedback forum are:

1) As already stated, most of the thread creators don't read the rules when posting their photo. You're supposed to offer up the EXIF data and a brief description. Most people just upload a photo of their cat and wonder why no one responds.

2) Generally, most who are offering up a photo for feedback and critique are actually looking for affirmation. They're looking for "good job", "looks great", and "I like that" and not any meaningful tips on how to improve. This puts everyone at odds. You don't know if you should offer up an honest opinion and risk hurting someone's feelings.

3) The 12 point...what? That system certainly has it's place, but this community is by and large hobbyists and amateurs. There's really no value in the 12 point system here.

Unless we sue the Critique section as the 12pt section which it is and people understand this, 2nd'ly is we get the pro's to weigh in on the Critique.

The feedback section actually has no rules or regulations so we should and could make it our own. But we are dead in the water and either need sea rescue (qualified) or life savers like 'Bay Watch' To come rescue you. Regardless is that we all are failing in anything that we wish to learn as we are not putting in any effort. at all.

Browncoat

The feedback section actually has no rules or regulations so we should and could make it our own. But we are dead in the water and either need sea rescue (qualified) or life savers like 'Bay Watch' To come rescue you. Regardless is that we all are failing in anything that we wish to learn as we are not putting in any effort. at all.

It does have rules. I'm the one who wrote them (jdeg revised and reposted).

http://nikonites.com/photo-critique/6083-new-photo-critique-forum-rules-%2Aread-before-posting%2A.html#axzz2mMnqWBR9

This section of the forum is actually the most valuable one to the community. However, it's difficult to moderate and must be member-driven. The human ego is a fragile thing, and frankly, some people just aren't prepared for an honest opinion of their work. On the flip side, most hobbyists aren't experienced enough to cover the technical aspects of photography. They can generally say that they like or dislike something, but can't provide details as to why.

There aren't enough pros on the boards to field a range of critiques, and most don't want to be known as "The Critique Guy" who critiques everything that comes across his path either.

​So yes, this section will continue to struggle.

Rick M

There is a newer "feedback" sub-forum, under "Evaluation", I believe that is what Scott was referring to. The "critique" sub-forum under Evaluation has the rules attached to it. The "feedback" sub was created to help with this dilemma and give us a spot to move those posts not conforming to the "critique" sub-forum.

Mike D90

Lots of responses to this post of mine.

So, in a perfect forum, what exactly would/should happen in the Photo Critique forum if someone actually posted correctly?

Are their specific members who would post up the critique or, if I understood correctly, are there not enough pro photographers here with enough experience/knowledge to promptly offer the critique?

dramtastic

Lots of responses to this post of mine.

So, in a perfect forum, what exactly would/should happen in the Photo Critique forum if someone actually posted correctly?

Are their specific members who would post up the critique or, if I understood correctly, are there not enough pro photographers here with enough experience/knowledge to promptly offer the critique?

Already got this one listed in your profile hey Mike!
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm VR ED
:cool: