How to use the Oil Paint filter

RON_RIP

Re: Oil Paint filter

For those of us who do not have Oil Paint filter in pp, what would be the equivalent hard filter, pastel?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I still can't access the oil paint filter. I switched to 8-bits/channel, and it is still the only stylized filter that is greyed out.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I still can't access the oil paint filter. I switched to 8-bits/channel, and it is still the only stylized filter that is greyed out.
Which computer system are you using? Mac or Windows?
In both cases, you have to go under the Photoshop menu<preferences<performance and then check the box to use the graphic card and activate Open LC under the advanced menu of the graphic card options.
Hope this helps.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Which computer system are you using? Mac or Windows?
In both cases, you have to go under the Photoshop menu<preferences<performance and then check the box to use the graphic card and activate Open LC under the advanced menu of the graphic card options.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for this info, Marcel. I had the box checked for the graphic card but didn't have the last part done. That seems to have enabled it. :cool:

tea2085

Carroll; I downloaded the raw camera plug in and downloaed 9.1.1 but now I don't know what to do with it. It is not showing up as an option in creative cloud. Paul

Pretzel

Well, after a bit of poking around, I found out that my version of MacBook Air had the Intel HD 3000 graphic card. And this specific card, of all the other cards supplied with different versions of MB Air, does NOT support the open CL... So I will have to forget using the oil filter with my notebook. Good thing I also have the iMac that has the whole thing working.

My Late 2012 iMac has the GeForce GTX 660M gpu, but apparently won't allow the oil paint filter to work either. What the MESS?

Just looked it up online, and it supports OpenGL and OpenCL, so might mess with it again when I get home, try to sort something out.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

My Late 2012 iMac has the GeForce GTX 660M gpu, but apparently won't allow the oil paint filter to work either. What the MESS?

Just looked it up online, and it supports OpenGL and OpenCL, so might mess with it again when I get home, try to sort something out.
You have to check the allow Open GL in the advanced performance PS preference menu.

Carroll

Carroll; I downloaded the raw camera plug in and downloaed 9.1.1 but now I don't know what to do with it. It is not showing up as an option in creative cloud. Paul
@tea2085
When I downloaded the 9.1.1 ACR update, it went to my "downloads" folder. This is where I have chosen for all downloads to my Computer to be saved.

I then opened my downloads folder, and clicked on the CameraRaw_9_1_1.zip update file. The file was then unzipped, and created a CameraRaw_9_1_1.exe file. I then clicked on that file, and the update was installed into CS6.

It will not be in the CC app, unless, you have chosen that as a destination, which would probably not be a good idea.

The 9.1.1 ACR update will all be done without the assistance of the CC app.

This may not be the Bill Gates way, it is just how I did it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Install it then once finished, open a NEF or DNG with PCC. Below is an unedited DNG opened in PCC. The upper left will display which version of Camera Raw is being used.

camera raw.jpg

Horoscope Fish

Adobe Camera RAW works as part of Photoshop, it's not an application you can launch directly. Associate the .NEF file type with Photoshop and then, when you double-click a .NEF file, Adobe Camera RAW will launch.

To associate .NEF files with Photoshop, right-click on a .NEF file and in the context menu click on "Open with". You will see an option to choose from a list of applications to open this file type. Check the little box that says "Always use this application to open this file type" (or words to that effect) and the select Photoshop. Repeat this process with a JPG file if you want to associate them with PS by default, or just use Photoshop from the initial context menu.