How to use the Oil Paint filter

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: Oil Paint filter

I've undeleted a thread and merged all "post your Oil paint filter" in the same thread. Hope this is useful.

tea2085

Thought I had oil paint last night but today seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes I am able to apply the oil paint settings and next time the adjustments have no effect. Don't get it! Paul

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Thought I had oil paint last night but today seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes I am able to apply the oil paint settings and next time the adjustments have no effect. Don't get it! Paul
Are you certain that you are applying it to the right layer? And that that layer is above any other that would counteract it.

tea2085

I'm not using any layers as I am applying oil paint ti pics I'm just using to learn the filter. Will it not work without a layer? I subscribed to creative cloud about 3-4 monthes ago and mainly have been editing photos in LR. Photoshop is not nearly as user friendly but I have been plugging away because I realize the strength of this program. Paul ;BTW THANKS Marcel

Carroll

A simple mistake I make ALL the time is to try to apply a filter, after I have several layers open, and it does not work.

I then flatten the image (merge all layers together) by selecting "Layer", and then selecting "flatten layer", at the bottom of the pop out menu. However, this will allow whatever filter you choose to affect the entire image, rather than any particular part of the image you want to work on.

Normally, I can choose the layer I want to work on, and go from there.

Not sure if this is really the way to do it, however, it has been working for me.

Hope this is relevant to your situation.

RockyNH_RIP

i did the update, oil paint grayed out. ?? I need a very basic ps cc book, any recommendations. Videos i have looked at r no help for this beginner. Is there a way to
make the text bigger in ps cc?

I found this to be the best short video to walk you through a fix. They say 2 possibliities, need to update the driver on the video card or and/or a setting change within PS...

Good luck and let us know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNhthq-MZQ

Pat in GA

Carroll

Will Oil Paint not work w/o a layer? Paul

PHOTOSHOP LAYERS: (lots of Free PS info)

Adobe Photoshop Layers explained:

Adobe Photoshop Layers explained

An Internet search will bring up more about PS than you can shake a stick at.
aussie.png

Warning! I am only a PS hack. Others on here are truly experts at it...don't give up trying to learn it...your time will be well spent. Have FUN!

Last edited:

nikonpup

i had done a update on drivers and found a adobe tutorial on settings, still greyed out. I have a geforce gt 420 graphics card, just maybe to old. (note) after i had changed the setting, all the chooses under filters where grayed out - :) you need a photo open to select filters. Duh!.

tea2085

Wow, Thanks guys -tried a lot of your diections and finally I have "OIL PAINT" What a resource members of this forum are. Thank YOU. Paul

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

The Oil paint filter works with my iMac but won't with my MacBook Air. I tried the Open GL route but this was greyed out. So I suspect my MB Air is too weak to process the filter. But I haven't tried to modify to 8 bits... To be continued.
Well, after a bit of poking around, I found out that my version of MacBook Air had the Intel HD 3000 graphic card. And this specific card, of all the other cards supplied with different versions of MB Air, does NOT support the open CL... So I will have to forget using the oil filter with my notebook. Good thing I also have the iMac that has the whole thing working.

tea2085

Update
My oil paint filter is intermittent now. Sometimes it's available, sometimes not. Right now it;s greyed out and unavailable to me. Did the display driver upgrade and all the other stuff recommended. I probably need to upgrade my video card? What do you think? Paul

Carroll

If you have a CC subscription, you can download previous versions of Photoshop with your subscription. I have run Photoshop CS6 Extended (which is what you get when you download "Photoshop CS6"), along with Photoshop CC (2015) for quite some time. I usually just run one at a time, not both together, although I have had both open now and then.

Just click on "Previous Versions" in the CC app, to see what versions you can download...there are several.

With Photoshop CS6 Extended, the Oil Paint Filter has always run for me, even when the Photoshop CC (2015) Oil Paint Filter did not work, even though it does work now in both versions.

With Photoshop CS6 Extended, you can invoke the CS6 Bridge program from the File menu. Photoshop CC (2015) has it's own Bridge program, that is more up to day, probably...FYI.

CS6 has some features that the CC version does not have, that is why I have both. The latest, sometimes, is not the greatest...IMO. LOL I did have to manually install the latest ACR for CS6, which is available from Adobe. (Version 9.1.1 is the newest it will take)

Link for Adobe Camera Raw 9.1.1 for CS6
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

The Oil Paint Program is different in both Photoshop versions, I believe. It might be my imagination, but the CS6 version of Oil Paint Filter runs smoother on my machine...and I do not think it has all the features of the CC version. (I have not researched this...might be wrong.) I do know the CS6 version Oil Paint Filter comes up faster on my machine.

The downside to CS6, for me, is that my CC app keeps telling me there is an up date for CS6, but will not update it. I spent LOTS of time trying to figure this out, to no avail. Also, I get a popup that wants me to register it with Adobe...which for me is impossible. LOL CS6 works fine in all other regards, however. I use CC 2015 the most. The ACR update is probably why the CC app wants to update CS6...however, it does not recognize that it has the newest ACR installed....LOL

I hope this is not too confusing, and hope that perhaps this info might be of some help to someone.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I find that the CS6 version also runs for me even on my MacBook Air. But I find the newest version on CC 2015 does a better job to my eyes at least. But at least the CS6 can bail me out if needed. Although I have to stay on my guards in order to use it OCCASIONALLY only, otherwise it gets a bit boring and you forget the basic composition and light study character of photography.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Update
My oil paint filter is intermittent now. Sometimes it's available, sometimes not. Right now it;s greyed out and unavailable to me. Did the display driver upgrade and all the other stuff recommended. I probably need to upgrade my video card? What do you think? Paul
Check out to see if it only works when the mode is set to 8 bits. I remember a while ago when the filter gallery was not completely usable when my image was in 16 bits mode.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Another example of the use of the filter applied on a copy layer and reduced opacity and masked in some parts only.

MXmas copy.jpg