How To Not let COVID-19 Ruin My Life Or Others

Peter7100

So how does everyone feel several months down the line? What are conditions like where you live?
Here in Scotland we are in what could be described as a 50% lockdown with people advised not to travel too far unless essential. As a result I find I have been spending much more time exploring my local area for things to photograph. I do miss travelling to some of Scotland's ionic locations like Glencoe and the Trossachs but I would rather stick to the guidelines if it can help slow the spread of the virus.
The general feeling seems to be that things will not return to normal until such time there is a vaccine available. That of course raises another issue where opinions seem to be about a 50/50 regarding people taking any vaccine that may become available. Certainly cases and deaths are on the increase again in Scotland and it does not bode well for the coming winter months. In the meantime I will continue my local search with camera in hand as often as possible.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
So how does everyone feel several months down the line? What are conditions like where you live?
Here in Scotland we are in what could be described as a 50% lockdown with people advised not to travel too far unless essential. As a result I find I have been spending much more time exploring my local area for things to photograph. I do miss travelling to some of Scotland's ionic locations like Glencoe and the Trossachs but I would rather stick to the guidelines if it can help slow the spread of the virus.
The general feeling seems to be that things will not return to normal until such time there is a vaccine available. That of course raises another issue where opinions seem to be about a 50/50 regarding people taking any vaccine that may become available. Certainly cases and deaths are on the increase again in Scotland and it does not bode well for the coming winter months. In the meantime I will continue my local search with camera in hand as often as possible.

We are in our fall season. Local school is online with back-to-school being scheduled for February. That said, the number of COVID cases is increasing in our area. So far no additional restrictions have been implemented other than wearing masks and keeping the number of people in stores/businesses in check.

Some other school districts have opened but are encountering an increase in the number of COVID cases. Honestly I don't expect things to get better until an established vaccine is in place.

Patrick M

Like the flu, this virus will always be around. So we’ll never go “back to normal”. The new normal will be similar to where we are I’m afraid. We need to learn to socially distance, and wash our hands regularly as a matter of course. Wearing masks too where people gather.
This virus doesn’t have any age barrier either...so young and old, we can all catch it. The thing is highly contagious and we all know one can pass it along without showing symptoms, asymptotic.
More worrying is “long Covid”. That’s where having contracted the virus, it start attacking other organs. The heart, liver, anywhere is potentially vulnerable, and the virus is so new that nobody knows what else....we’ve seen patients taking months to recover.
I look forward to a vaccine. I do worry that rushing into a quick vaccine might actually mislead us all into relaxing our guard and that might lead to an even worse situation. God help us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter7100

Like the flu, this virus will always be around. So we’ll never go “back to normal”. The new normal will be similar to where we are I’m afraid. We need to learn to socially distance, and wash our hands regularly as a matter of course. Wearing masks too where people gather.
This virus doesn’t have any age barrier either...so young and old, we can all catch it. The thing is highly contagious and we all know one can pass it along without showing symptoms, asymptotic.
More worrying is “long Covid”. That’s where having contracted the virus, it start attacking other organs. The heart, liver, anywhere is potentially vulnerable, and the virus is so new that nobody knows what else....we’ve seen patients taking months to recover.
I look forward to a vaccine. I do worry that rushing into a quick vaccine might actually mislead us all into relaxing our guard and that might lead to an even worse situation. God help us.

I agree with most of what you have said, however I think we must believe that medical science will find a cure or reliable vaccine at some stage in the next couple of years. I know this virus comes from corona family of viruses that produce the common cold and flu's but the main difference this time is that the medical people are working flat out to find a solution. There is currently over 100 different places working on a vaccine. Even if the first round of vaccines are not sufficient I am sure the race will go on as the world can't afford to live with continual lockdowns and hospitals being overrun.
As for washing hands all the time, that is a good thing and hopefully those that leave the bathroom without doing so will change that disgusting habit.

Patrick M

I agree with most of what you have said, however I think we must believe that medical science will find a cure or reliable vaccine at some stage in the next couple of years. I know this virus comes from corona family of viruses that produce the common cold and flu's but the main difference this time is that the medical people are working flat out to find a solution. There is currently over 100 different places working on a vaccine. Even if the first round of vaccines are not sufficient I am sure the race will go on as the world can't afford to live with continual lockdowns and hospitals being overrun.
As for washing hands all the time, that is a good thing and hopefully those that leave the bathroom without doing so will change that disgusting habit.

A couple of years, yes, I’d certainly hope so! They’re talking weeks, not years though, and as always when they push too hard, it can backfire badly. Fingers crossed they do find an anti virus and that the after effects aren’t too bad.

pnomanikon

I was doing OK until this summer when I lost a lifelong friend indirectly due to the pandemic. He was only 59 but had health problems related to diabetes. He had a rough couple of weeks and called his doctor for an appointment. The doctor was only seeing a limited number of patients face to face, so there was a 2-week wait to be seen at the hospital. He died the day before his appointment, collapsing behind the wheel of his car at a stop light. By the time the EMS got there and broke out the window, he was gone.

That took all the wind out of my sails. He was an only child, and his father passed away 2 weeks after my mother passed in 2017. I've been trying to help his mother clean out his house.

My piano recital is on hold. In additional to the loss of my friend, my arthritis has flared up to where I've lost the partial use of two fingers. I've hardly touched the piano since August.

Not one of the happier times in my life right now, but at least I had one MAJOR piece of good news. On Oct 1st, I became a grandfather. Yay! Too bad they are 5 hours away, so we've only had 1 short visit.

Owen 04Oct2020 (4cr).jpg

Scott Murray

In our area (remote) our state borders are still closed until 14th November, and from what I read yesterday Australia has 0 community transmissions. That's the first time for all of this Pandemic.
But in saying that, work has just purchased a PCR machine which will allow us to directly sample any persons that show the signs and symptoms of COVID-19 instead of sending swabs away to be tested by a Path Lab.
We have some restrictions but in all honesty everything is kinda back to normal until the next outbreak.

Scott Murray

I was doing OK until this summer when I lost a lifelong friend indirectly due to the pandemic. He was only 59 but had health problems related to diabetes. He had a rough couple of weeks and called his doctor for an appointment. The doctor was only seeing a limited number of patients face to face, so there was a 2-week wait to be seen at the hospital. He died the day before his appointment, collapsing behind the wheel of his car at a stop light. By the time the EMS got there and broke out the window, he was gone.

That took all the wind out of my sails. He was an only child, and his father passed away 2 weeks after my mother passed in 2017. I've been trying to help his mother clean out his house.

My piano recital is on hold. In additional to the loss of my friend, my arthritis has flared up to where I've lost the partial use of two fingers. I've hardly touched the piano since August.

Not one of the happier times in my life right now, but at least I had one MAJOR piece of good news. On Oct 1st, I became a grandfather. Yay! Too bad they are 5 hours away, so we've only had 1 short visit.

View attachment 347766

My condolences to you and your family, but congratulations on the grandchild.

Texas

There's good news all around in my town.

Things are back to normal road traffic wise here in San Antonio, TX (heavy traffic especially at rush hours).

Everyone wears a mask, I use the 10 cent ones that allows easy breathing. Even our local politicians who make the mask a legal requirement personally favor the bandana type mask.

At the store the other day a lady in front of me pulled down her mask and let out a big sneeze. Her friend said 'what are you doing?' Sneezer said 'Im not sneezing into my mask' . I took off in the other direction.

Death rates locally are down 20:1 off the peak six months ago. That's the best news ever, even though 'cases' are crazy high. Whatever that means.

We are nearing year-end where accurate numbers of national annual deaths due to all causes will be available for comparison to previous years. Looks like the downward trend of the past few years will continue.

The election panic has cause a T.P. shortage, everything else seems to be available on store shelves. Then again the violence is on hold for a while.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Things are back to normal road traffic wise here in San Antonio, TX (heavy traffic especially at rush hours).

Everyone wears a mask, I use the 10 cent ones that allows easy breathing. Even our local politicians who make the mask a legal requirement personally favor the bandana type mask.

At the store the other day a lady in front of me pulled down her mask and let out a big sneeze. Her friend said 'what are you doing?' Sneezer said 'Im not sneezing into my mask' . I took off in the other direction.

Death rates locally are down 20:1 off the peak six months ago. That's the best news ever, even though 'cases' are crazy high. Whatever that means.

We are nearing year-end where accurate numbers of national annual deaths due to all causes will be available for comparison to previous years. Looks like the downward trend of the past few years will continue.

The election panic has cause a T.P. shortage, everything else seems to be available on store shelves. Then again the violence is on hold for a while.

You are fortunate! Rates are starting to increase here and so has limiting purchases of certain items (paper products). I tend to only shop at 2 different grocery stores. One recently implemented one-way walking down the aisles again. At least you are in a warmer climate - that helps when people can spend more time outside.

bluzman

Up here in Collin County, there doesn't seem to be any panicky reaction to the doom and and gloom being promulgated by the MSM.

herpawearo

I think all depends on immunity! If you have a good and strong immunity system you will be able to fight COVID-19! For example start with using vitamin C that is very good for improving immunity system. Moreover, I also use kratom. I order online. This is a traditional herb that’s native to Southeast Asia. It’s one of the most famous herbs that experts recommend for a variety of ailments, thanks to its immense medicinal properties. It helps in stress and pain relief, helping in having a positive state of mind and also improves immunity! What can be better? Hope it will be useful for you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gew

I'm trying hard not to let it get to me, but it's hard, especially since I suffer from weak lungs and are afraid I'll die if I catch it!