How To Not let COVID-19 Ruin My Life Or Others

mikew_RIP

Hope your all keeping well, its coming upto 4 weeks now since i have been further than the front gate,the government are saying it will be a lot longer for my group.

barandur

I believe the panic is everywhere. In India too from March 13th lockdown is announced and govt not allowing to step out from home. Don't know how long it will be there. Almost 500 death already here. Life seems to be not same in future.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Vixen

Unfortunately, here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, if we dare leave our house for other than medical reasons, to get food, or some other approved purpose, we can be slapped with a $1000 fine and/or 6 months in jail. Not only is photography an unapproved purpose, but we can't even go to the beach to watch the sunset.

Same here in NSW Australia. As life has worked out, I've really basically only left home for shopping and a couple of day trip since Christmas. My choice to start, but when this virus arrived here I made it my way of life. No way do I want to risk getting it if possible. When I started doing this years 365 I thought it would be great to be able to get out and about to all the local beaches etc, but no.... almosr all the so far 100 days have been shot at home. We are getting on top of it though, so I am happy to do it

pnomanikon

I believe the panic is everywhere. In India too from March 13th lockdown is announced and govt not allowing to step out from home. Don't know how long it will be there. Almost 500 death already here. Life seems to be not same in future.

Sorry to hear your situation. We can only hope and pray to whichever deity we choose to worship to help us in this hour of need.

That and helping others who need help more than us.

Texas

Before this novel virus, average death count in the U.S. in the month of March was 200,000+++.

2,800,000 per year.

Easy to look up on CDC web. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/provisional-tables.htm

NYC just made a correction to their count, added +3,700 to one days' count. Figuring they were 'probably' the virus.

What I've learned so far comparing the whole state of CA to NYC is that subways are dangerous.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Our county closed the county parks with our township following suit closing the township parks. Thankfully the township reopened township parks but are still trying to stress the importance of social distancing. This was from yesterday.

_NIK1952 low res.jpg

Danno

We are still fine here. Our Church has live stream services on Sunday as if we were there with music and the sermon. That is great. Our preacher even live stream a Wednesday Service. But I am like Mike... not getting out too far. My faith is my foundation for this stuff.

Our Governor is going to start opening up the state a bit in the next couple weeks. That will be nice. I look forward to that. Until that it will be me and Jersey Girl goofing around in the yard on the cold days and wondering a bit on the warmer days.

Patrick M

I’m in the uk. There’s no panic, and I don’t think there really was apart from March when people seemed to go for toilet paper. That was not just the uk either...remember the videos of supermarket shoppers in Australia fighting over the toilet rolled?

Now, it’s very political with the non government parties criticising the government over lack of foresight and not having an exit strategy.

What we forget is that in the uk, the government relies upon its scientific and medical advisors.....and irrespective of which party is in power, the advice would be the same. As for an exit strategy, again, people forget, this virus is a killer and it won’t just be blown away. Our national strategy, as with many other countries, is to slow the spread of the disease so as not to overwhelm our health service, so that those contracting the virus can be properly cared for and hopefully cured. An early exit of any lockdown strategy must proceed with great caution as we don’t want a sudden surge in patients, defeating the purpose of the lockdown in the first place.

We must be cautious, and continue all efforts to find a vaccine. Without one, we have to consider social distancing and staying home as our normal way of life.

Stay safe, stay home, protect the health service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I’m in the uk. There’s no panic, and I don’t think there really was apart from March when people seemed to go for toilet paper. That was not just the uk either...remember the videos of supermarket shoppers in Australia fighting over the toilet rolled?

Are your stores limiting the number of people allowed inside? Many of our stores make customers wait in a line outside. Initially they allow maybe 25 customers into the store at one time. Then when one shopper leaves, another one is allowed to go inside. One of our grocery stores allows everyone to go inside, but when you go to checkout, they make everyone form one line. When a register is available, the next customer gets to check out. The line can become so long that it wraps around a couple of inside walls.

pnomanikon

My wife and I continue to follow the advice of the medical community and have been staying at home except for our weekly grocery run (for us and 4 elderly neighbors/friends) and me going to the church once every other week, when the church is empty, to record hymns on the organ for our weekly live-stream.

My wife has kept busy with her garden - both flowers and veggies. We have lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, potatoes, radishes, onions, strawberries, and even blueberries starting to bud and poke through. Come June and July, we may be able to skip grocery runs occasionally and just eat out of the garden. She has also been very adventurous making meals out of the odd assortment of "stuff" I bring home from the grocery store occasionally. This week's treat was Quasi Chicken Cordon Bleu. LINK: http://www.michaelelyard.com/ChickenCB.htm

I have been working on my piano recital and feel like I am on schedule comfortably. The two big pieces are ones I played 35-40 years ago and am reviving. Here are links to recordings of me performing one, Estampes by Claude Debussy. The first movement is Pagodes (a picture postcard of the orient). The second movement is La Soiree dans Grenade (impressions of a town in Spain). The third movement is Jardins Sous la Pluie (Gardens in the Rain). (Please note these were mis-labeled somewhere along the way and may show the wrong titles on playback). I recorded these three back in 1981 at my Graduate Solo Recital for my Master of Music Degree at WVU.

I also watched all of the Nikon School free videos in April and learned some interesting (and hopefully helpful) information. Too bad all the State Parks, National Parks, and most scenic destinations are closed. Oh well, they'll be there when this is all over.

I encourage everyone to check in on elderly and home-bound friends with either a call or a letter (remember those?) once a week. We have about 8 people we regularly contact, and they seem to appreciate even a short call so they don't feel forgotten and isolated. In fact, why don't we wrap this post up and let you go call someone right now. Bye!

Patrick M

Are your stores limiting the number of people allowed inside? Many of our stores make customers wait in a line outside. Initially they allow maybe 25 customers into the store at one time. Then when one shopper leaves, another one is allowed to go inside. One of our grocery stores allows everyone to go inside, but when you go to checkout, they make everyone form one line. When a register is available, the next customer gets to check out. The line can become so long that it wraps around a couple of inside walls.

Certainly our supermarkets are restricting the numbers entering, and have outside queuing arranged...even marking lines 2m apart.
Some were limiting items....no more than 2 or 3 initially while people bought up toilet rolls and fresh food....but there’s never really been much in shortage. Checkouts now have protective screens, and with some, we can use an app to scan and pay on line. Some petrol stations have that too...Esso for example.

We’re still encouraged to stay home, and exercise locally....ie not to drive to a park or such. Some of these rules may be lifted ...or lightened, shortly. Not sure how though.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Some were limiting items....no more than 2 or 3 initially while people bought up toilet rolls and fresh food....but there’s never really been much in shortage.

We still haven't recovered from the horders. Toilet paper, paper towels, lysol and cleaning products, hand sanitizer, meats, frozen dinners, even prepackaged boxed meals like Mac & Cheese can be hard to find. Yet in Philly and in New Jersey, people say those stores are pretty well stocked. It's crazy. I'll be glad when it levels out and things are plentiful again! :)

Patrick M

We still haven't recovered from the horders. Toilet paper, paper towels, lysol and cleaning products, hand sanitizer, meats, frozen dinners, even prepackaged boxed meals like Mac & Cheese can be hard to find. Yet in Philly and in New Jersey, people say those stores are pretty well stocked. It's crazy. I'll be glad when it levels out and things are plentiful again! :)

Hopefully it won’t be too long for you.

With us it’s more a timing thing. Sometimes the supermarket has things like eggs, flour, bread, but sometimes not...it’s a bit weird really. But generally where we live there’s no real hardship. But we do have those that necessarily live more hand-to-mouth, and those definitely have problems. We have great community spirit here, and most people are being taken care of sympathetically

pnomanikon

I Bought a piano and on-line lessons :)

That is wonderful! I started just a little before the pandemic hit (around 1962). I went on to get my Bachelor and Master of Music Degrees in piano performance and was a pianist in the US Air Force Bands for 20 years. Now I'm semi-retired and a church organist/pianist. I've also enjoyed teaching around 50 students along the way. PM me if you have any piano questions.

(BTW - my screen name is a blend of piano man and Nikon)

MikePiano5yrs.jpg
Circa 1962.

IMG_6198sm.jpg
2013 - at the church organ.

Last edited:

Hobbit

i wake up , go to work - in the dining room , key worker for a utility company , when work is done , go for a walk , not always with the camera and occasionally ill social distance with a push bike ride or out on the motorbike, TV stays off until news night otherwise the media would be driving me insane with the constant repeat questions and stupidity

Patrick M

PM me if you have any piano questions.

(BTW - my screen name is a blend of piano man and Nikon)

View attachment 339537
Circa 1962.

View attachment 339538
2013 - at the church organ.

I envy you! I had zero music when I was at school. I took guitar lessons about 10 years ago and reading tab was my first time looking at music....I wish I’d taken the time years ago, but you know, life doesn’t lend itself to one’s wishes. Thanks for the offer!