Help! Travelcam to compliment my DSLR.

Englischdude

Was just coming here to post this. The addition of the silent motor and touch screen make this a killer camera. My brother was just showing me the Canon EOS M3 and it was a damn impressive camera, and had some stuff I wish the a6000 had, but it's missing an electronic viewfinder. The a6100 specs look great, but what I'm not sure about is the 36MP APS-C. I know Canon has gone over 50MP's full frame on the 5DS (pretty impressive - I shot with it over Christmas) so 36MP on is comparable, if a little more densely packed.

The only other thing I would want is a fully articulating back screen, either up, down or to the side, so that you can see it from in front of the camera.
the specs do indeed sound impressive, but 36mp implies to me that this is really moving into the semi pro realm. The shear file size would be an issue for me simply from the transfer and processing point of view. I also eliminated the EOS M3 due to the missing EVF. in any case, I have got the a6000 and X-E2 on their way, will see which one gets sent back. Im excited!

Englischdude

sooooooo......

the decision was not all that difficult after all! I managed to compare not only the 6000 with the fuji x-e2, but a colleague of mine was here this afternoon and brought his A7. We fired off a few shots to make a comparison of the low light performance. All shot in RAW at ISO6400 and processed in Darktable in exactly the same way.

Sony A6000

dsc00012.jpg

i was surprised at how noisy the image was, what I also noticed was the auto WB had problems. it is not so noticeable on the forum post but in darktable was clearly visible.

Fuji X-E2

dscf6016.jpg

even though there is noise it is well within limits and noticeably better than the A6000. The A6000 AF was maybe a tad faster in low light.

And finally the A7. I was surprised at how much noise was present from a FF sensor, my colleague also was surprised when we compared the images from the fuji to the A7 and saw no great difference!

a73.jpg

I have decided for the Fuji as the low light performance is an important factor for me and the price is well within my limits. the operation is going to take some getting used to though! Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I look forward to posting in the fuji thread which Eduard started a while back!

Kind regards
Martin

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
According to Fujirumors, a new firmware will be out for the X-E2 on 15 January. (Link) It is supposed to add similar capabilities as was added to the X-T1 (zone and wide modes for moving subjects). Take a look at this site for a possible preview.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
According to Fujirumors, a new firmware will be out for the X-E2 on 15 January.

The firmware release date was pushed to include support for the new XF 100-400mm lens. An update for the X-T1, X-T10 and X-Pro1 are also scheduled for that day. I really wish Nikon was as open and willing to add features and capabilities to older bodies. X-E2 details below and explanations from Fuji here:

[ Firmware version ]
FUJIFILM X-E2 : Version 4.00

[ Scheduled release date ]
4th February 2016

[ Improvements and function enhancements with this firmware update ]

1. 1.New AF System
    (1) New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects
    (2) Improvement of AF accuracy
    (3) Eye Detection AF
    (4) Auto Macro mode
    (5) AF improvement in the Movie mode
  2. 2.Function enhancements
    (6) High-speed electronic shutter with a maximum speed of 1/32000sec.*
    (7) White Balance Bracketing
    (8) Enhanced ISO Auto Setting to AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3
    (9) Exposure Compensation control in Manual.
    (10) Natural Live View function is just like the naked eye.
    (11) EVF / LCD Color Control
    (12) New Video Frame rates (50P / 25P / 24P)
    (13) Manual Shooting in Video mode
    (14) Phase detection AF support for Instant AF
    (15) Expansion of shutter speed in Program Shift mode
  3. 3.Operability improvements
    (16) The new user interface
    (17) Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation
    (18) Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion
    (19) Direct selection of AF area
    (20) Unlocked AE-L / AF-L Buttons
    (21) Variable Focus Area during MF
    (22) Q. Menu customization
    (23) Interlocking of Metering and Focus areas
    (24) Movie Recording
  4. 4.Other changes with the update
    (25) Supports focus limiter function for XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
    (26) “BACKGROUND COLOR” menu
    (27) The maximum number of images taken in the continuous shooting mode

Englischdude

The firmware release date was pushed to include support for the new XF 100-400mm lens. An update for the X-T1, X-T10 and X-Pro1 are also scheduled for that day. I really wish Nikon was as open and willing to add features and capabilities to older bodies. X-E2 details below and explanations from Fuji here:

[ Firmware version ]
FUJIFILM X-E2 : Version 4.00

[ Scheduled release date ]
4th February 2016

[ Improvements and function enhancements with this firmware update ]

1. 1.New AF System
    (1) New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects
    (2) Improvement of AF accuracy
    (3) Eye Detection AF
    (4) Auto Macro mode
    (5) AF improvement in the Movie mode
  2. 2.Function enhancements
    (6) High-speed electronic shutter with a maximum speed of 1/32000sec.*
    (7) White Balance Bracketing
    (8) Enhanced ISO Auto Setting to AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3
    (9) Exposure Compensation control in Manual.
    (10) Natural Live View function is just like the naked eye.
    (11) EVF / LCD Color Control
    (12) New Video Frame rates (50P / 25P / 24P)
    (13) Manual Shooting in Video mode
    (14) Phase detection AF support for Instant AF
    (15) Expansion of shutter speed in Program Shift mode
  3. 3.Operability improvements
    (16) The new user interface
    (17) Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation
    (18) Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion
    (19) Direct selection of AF area
    (20) Unlocked AE-L / AF-L Buttons
    (21) Variable Focus Area during MF
    (22) Q. Menu customization
    (23) Interlocking of Metering and Focus areas
    (24) Movie Recording
  4. 4.Other changes with the update
    (25) Supports focus limiter function for XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
    (26) “BACKGROUND COLOR” menu
    (27) The maximum number of images taken in the continuous shooting mode

that is fantastic news! my Xe2 arrived a couple of days ago. had not had time to get out and about with it yet. Thanks for the info Eduard