Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

Bill16

All I can say having never been a D800 owner, is that if I had the money for a D700, I'd be on it like a bobcat on a bunny! Lol :D
After owning the D90, I have no issues with older models when they are designed and made so well! From all I've heard, the D700 is a great camera, and well worth getting! :D

Of course this is coming from a guy who has never had a FX Nikon, and is dying to get one himself! Lol :D

Pretzel

I don't have everyday insurance though and is something that maybe I should really look into, I had travel insurance for when I was in Africa. And I even was hesitant about getting it then. I am glad I did though. Lets hope your camera is repairable and at a reasonable cost.

Just on a side note... I checked with the agency that carries my homeowner's and car insurance, and here in the central U.S., at least, it's only about an extra $10 a month for no deductible covers everything including accidental drop insurance. They have a minimum amount of equipment required to cover, but I'm rapidly approaching that limit due to uncontrollable NAS. :)

ShootRaw

I say get another 800E..Sounds like it spoiled you and you have become familiar with its capabilities..To go backwards might leave you with buyers remorse...You got use to eating steak and to go back to peanut butter sandwiches might not sit well..(not knocking the 700)

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't think a D700 will make you nearly as happy as your D800E did. If I were in your place, I'd buy another D800 and be sure to put an adendium on your homeowners insurance to cover any issues 100% and that covers *everything* that can happen to your camera.

Billy Y.

The 600-610 both have a very nice sensor - I used one for 2 weeks last summer, I was shooting a horse event that the tight center cluster worked great for that but, i can see other applications where you would be doing a lot of focus recomposing. That is really my only complaint, and it isn't quite as rugged. I will say that during the event I shoot both the 600 and 700, going back through the photos my favorite of the event came from the D700. It really is a very capable camera.
DSC_9623.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The 600-610 both have a very nice sensor - I used one for 2 weeks last summer, I was shooting a horse event that the tight center cluster worked great for that but, i can see other applications where you would be doing a lot of focus recomposing. That is really my only complaint, and it isn't quite as rugged. I will say that during the event I shoot both the 600 and 700, going back through the photos my favorite of the event came from the D700. It really is a very capable camera.
View attachment 62121

Yes, D700 is still a WONDERFUL camera. It's up to each to decide how much resolution we really need. How large do you print on a regular basis, how much computing power will you use to eventually downscale pictures so you print them 16x20?

So far, I haven't met someone that has not been happy with a D700 and the files it can produce.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't think a D700 will make you nearly as happy as your D800E did. If I were in your place, I'd buy another D800 and be sure to put an adendium on your homeowners insurance to cover any issues 100% and that covers *everything* that can happen to your camera.

Thanks Dave. If I can wait a little longer, I expect prices to go down by February for the newer models. There has been a surge of used FX cameras lately since most wants to try the new Df.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I say get another 800E..Sounds like it spoiled you and you have become familiar with its capabilities..To go backwards might leave you with buyers remorse...You got use to eating steak and to go back to peanut butter sandwiches might not sit well..(not knocking the 700)

I wouldn't compare the cameras to that extreme. Any FX will do for me it's just that when I was in the market for my D700 replacement, the only available models at the time were the D800/E, D3s and D4. I am ok if I choose the D600 or D610 since that is more like the middle ground. I just can't stand not having a FX camera, I don't know the real reason why but it is mostly the wider field of view.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Glenn, I'm with @Dave_W on this one. It sounds like you are settling for something less than what you really want although everything I've read about the D700 has been terrific. Do you have any gear that you can sell, or perhaps you can pick up some paying photography gigs to supplement your camera fund? I hope your camera can get fixed, but if not maybe it can be sold for parts?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn, I'm with @Dave_W on this one. It sounds like you are settling for something less than what you really want although everything I've read about the D700 has been terrific. Do you have any gear that you can sell, or perhaps you can pick up some paying photography gigs to supplement your camera fund? I hope your camera can get fixed, but if not maybe it can be sold for parts?

Thanks Hark. The money is not an issue with me. It's how much I am willing to spend since we are all quickly realizing how much lower we can buy the new cameras if we just wait within 12 months just like what happened to the D800 and D600. If my D800E does not get fixed, then, I'll go from there. Not an easy decision to make.

BTW, how do you like your D610? To be specific, is it hand-holdable? The D800 is more of a tripod camera if you like pixel peeping.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
<<Snip>>...Not an easy decision to make.
BTW, how do you like your D610? To be specific, is it hand-holdable? The D800 is more of a tripod camera if you like pixel peeping.

I think you did realize that even if the 800E was the sharpest camera on the market, it also had some drawbacks (hand held). I think it'll be up to you to be very honest about your needs and what the camera will be used for. I think that you probably would love the Df for it's sensor, but not sure you'd like the handling and grip as much as you like the 800 and 7000. Plus, the Df doesn't do video... The D610 does.

As far as hand held shots, have a look at my Vietnam album in my gallery. All shots were done with the D600 hand held with the 28 2.8 D and my $125 Tamron 28-200 that does not have VR. Take your time and I'm sure you'll get exactly what you'll need.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Hark. The money is not an issue with me. It's how much I am willing to spend since we are all quickly realizing how much lower we can buy the new cameras if we just wait within 12 months just like what happened to the D800 and D600. If my D800E does not get fixed, then, I'll go from there. Not an easy decision to make.

I use a tripod more frequently than most people because I have tendonitis in both forearms; however, there are times when I've handheld the D610 (and my previous D600) and used my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR--pixel peeping wasn't a problem at all. For me, the key is using the VR in Active instead of Normal. I was still getting a little blur using the Normal VR so I experimented with the Active mode while hand holding the camera. Nikon says Active is for gross movement, and with my tendonitis, it has made a world of difference. If you were to see me hand holding my camera, you wouldn't notice the slight shakiness from my tendonitis--so I wouldn't classify my shakiness as gross motor movement. However, I've found the Active VR corrects the little bit of blur that I was getting while using Normal VR. Too bad you don't have your D800 to see how the Active VR would compare to the Normal. I know Active VR is supposed to be used when you are on a moving object (boat, car, dock, etc), but if pixel peeping is an issue with that camera, I wish people would give it a try especially if they are using a slower shutter speed than what they'd use for Normal VR. An extra photo here and there as a comparison will only cost people a few extra seconds of their time.

As for the weight of the camera, it is slightly heavier than my D90--so it isn't bad in that respect. Since you have a D7000, it wouldn't be that much heavier at all. I think the difference in weight is just a few ounces between the D7000 and the D610.

Scott Murray

I would have to dis-agree with this as I have found that my images are sharp whether they are handheld or not especially if I use correct settings and technique. My D800E is hardly ever on a tripod unless I am doing long exposures or low light landscape (sunset/sunrise) etc. But maybe that's just my perspective and I am not as fussy as some ;).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think you did realize that even if the 800E was the sharpest camera on the market, it also had some drawbacks (hand held). I think it'll be up to you to be very honest about your needs and what the camera will be used for. I think that you probably would love the Df for it's sensor, but not sure you'd like the handling and grip as much as you like the 800 and 7000. Plus, the Df doesn't do video... The D610 does.

As far as hand held shots, have a look at my Vietnam album in my gallery. All shots were done with the D600 hand held with the 28 2.8 D and my $125 Tamron 28-200 that does not have VR. Take your time and I'm sure you'll get exactly what you'll need.

You certainly have some valid arguments there Marcel. Looking at the features that the D610 doesn't have and "might" have some slight annoyance is the lack of curtain for the viewfinder and the smaller cluster of AF in the center (compared to the 51 pt AF). Other than that, based on my occasional event photography, most shots are for my leisure use due to my love of photography.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I use a tripod more frequently than most people because I have tendonitis in both forearms; however, there are times when I've handheld the D610 (and my previous D600) and used my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR--pixel peeping wasn't a problem at all. For me, the key is using the VR in Active instead of Normal. I was still getting a little blur using the Normal VR so I experimented with the Active mode while hand holding the camera. Nikon says Active is for gross movement, and with my tendonitis, it has made a world of difference.

As for the weight of the camera, it is slightly heavier than my D90--so it isn't bad in that respect. Since you have a D7000, it wouldn't be that much heavier at all. I think the difference in weight is just a few ounces between the D7000 and the D610.

Thanks for your feedback Hark. I really appreciate it and I'm sorry to hear about your tendonitis. I also have a similar condition which involves my nerve on my C6 disc on my right collar area. This pinched nerve affects my right index finger and thumb. Typing and using the mouse makes it very uncomfortable and in most cases, painful. It led to my carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome (just google for more info). So, I do know the convenience of using a tripod presents especially with the heavier lenses that I frequently use. Weight doesn't bother me as much since once my camera and lens are on the tripod, it becomes more manageable. The final images are more satisfying since the images are much sharper especially at lower shutter speeds.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I would have to dis-agree with this as I have found that my images are sharp whether they are handheld or not especially if I use correct settings and technique. My D800E is hardly ever on a tripod unless I am doing long exposures or low light landscape (sunset/sunrise) etc. But maybe that's just my perspective and I am not as fussy as some ;).

Scott -sorry if my statement made it sound like the D800 is limited to using a tripod but in my case, it is my preference whenever I can to use a tripod due to the condition that I posted above in response to Hark's statement. I understand that higher shutter speeds and use of flash can result to a much sharper images and can stop motion in most cases.

Since I do most of my photography indoors, I try to use slower shutter speeds and use flash to lower ISO level. With these reasons, it makes it more important to bring my tripod in order to compensate with my shooting environment. I do not mind using my tripod since it is pretty light and sturdy.

With that said, the limited 1/4000 shutter of the D600/D610 is not a big deal for me. I do not shoot f1.4 on a bright sunny day. What I really like with Nikon now are the various FX offerings that they've come up with. I can't say about the DX since there are some who are still waiting for the D300s replacement. I'm sure it will come out in due time.