Help me Decide D5300 vs D5500

Bikerbrent

One other very big item to consider with the D7100 is the camera has the builtin autofocus motors which allows you to use older, but excellent lenses like the 80-200mm non-afs model in AF mode. This can potentionally be a real money saver if you want to use older, used, lower cost lenses.

wcharon

Perfectly explained and that is my point and what is getting me on the long road. I don't want a Porsche if I can only run it at 55mph.
So, the other data point so that you have my whole experience.

I initially bought the D5300 over the D7100 because of two features that I thought were deal killers: wifi and GPS. In practical use, however, neither performed as I anticipated and became non-features. The GPS typically did not lock location often enough to effectively geo-tag images, and the wifi functionality was less than ideal. I believe they've done away with the GPS functionality in the D5500, and for that matter, the wifi functionality has been changed/improved as well.

I started building a list of features that I needed that the D5300 could not provide, and made the change to the D7100 about a year later. Now, I was getting more serious with my photography, and that's why those features became important, but the D5300 is no slouch either.

Hope that helps.

One other feature that I considered when I went from the D5100 to the D7100 was the weather sealing. I don't worry near as much if I get caught out in the rain. It is not water proof so you can dunk it under water but getting caught out in the rain is not as much a problem.

Ironwood

D5300, D5500, and D7100, all will give you similar image quality, I dont think you would be able to tell the difference. So it will come down to what features appeal to you, and price. For me the D7100 is the winner, because of the better controls, control wheels and buttons beat menu driven controls.

wcharon

Thanks. I thin you guys have convinced me for the D7100. How I said, I will go tomorrow and see how it feels and if I get it I will have 10 days to return it.

Let's see and will keep you guys posted.

RocketCowboy

Thanks. I thin you guys have convinced me for the D7100. How I said, I will go tomorrow and see how it feels and if I get it I will have 10 days to return it.

I don't thing you will be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobV

I started out with a D5200, and I now have a D5300. As said before, I was intrigued by the GPS, but it is not all I had hoped for.

I recently bought a D300, which is a precursor to the D7nnn series. It has the larger, heavier body, with dual control wheels, built-in autofocus motor for my old "D" lens, and it has the much larger and brighter pentaprism viewfinder as opposed to the pentamirror system on the D5nnn.

The D300 is an old camera, but I am really enjoying it. There are features that I miss that are commonplace on current cameras, like video (I think the D300 has it, but I have not found it yet), and when I think of my D300 combined with my D5300, I see a nice D7100.

Bikerbrent

The D300 is an old camera, but I am really enjoying it. There are features that I miss that are commonplace on current cameras, like video (I think the D300 has it, but I have not found it yet), and when I think of my D300 combined with my D5300, I see a nice D7100.

If you have the D300, it does NOT have video. Video was added to the D300s.

Finally, if you shoot much action, the D7200 has a much larger buffer which lets you shoot a lot more pictures before the camera slows down.

robbins.photo

Always go with the Porsche; there is no substitute. :)

But I agree on the Corvette analogy. ;)

Ridiculous. Of course you can substitute a corvette for a Porsche.

Well, you know, as likely long as you only drive in straight lines.

Oh, and if you don't mind replacing the engine once or twice a year.

But other than that, almost no real difference between the two...

Lol

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

RobV

Finally, if you shoot much action, the D7200 has a much larger buffer which lets you shoot a lot more pictures before the camera slows down.
For sure, the D7200 is the best D7nnn camera to get, but it sounds like the OP is working with a budget. Hopefully he can find a refurbished D7100 on the island.

wcharon

Thanks to all for the feedback..

I am still struggling with the decision. Budget is not a concern as I don't want to buy twice and want to be comfortable with the purchase.

At this moment this is what I have and all options are from Best Buy:

1. Nikon D5300 with 2 lenses 18-55 / 70-300 with new AF-P lenses ($599.00)
2. Nikon D5500 with lenses 15-55 VRII ($699.00)
3. Nikon D7200 with lenses 18-140 AF-S ($1,299.00)

For sure, the D7200 is the best D7nnn camera to get, but it sounds like the OP is working with a budget. Hopefully he can find a refurbished D7100 on the island.

RobV

I am still struggling with the decision. Budget is not a concern as I don't want to buy twice and want to be comfortable with the purchase.

At this moment this is what I have and all options are from Best Buy:

1. Nikon D5300 with 2 lenses 18-55 / 70-300 with new AF-P lenses ($599.00)
2. Nikon D5500 with lenses 15-55 VRII ($699.00)
3. Nikon D7200 with lenses 18-140 AF-S ($1,299.00)
Well then, if $1300 is within your reach, I would say the decision is made, provided you like the way the D7200 feels in your hands.

Don't be put off by the vast weight difference between the 5000 and the 7000 series. You will get used to it. My D5300 feels like a toy compared to my D300.

Ask the sales person at the store to show you which button you will have your thumb on should you decide to use Back Button Focus. [AE-L/AF-L] It is a very neat way of focusing the camera, and you will probably want to compare how that feels to you, as well.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

I started with that D5300 with 18-55 and 55-300 kit. You might find yourself changing lenses a lot. My suggestion, if money is no object, is to go with the 18-140 and either the D7200 or D7100.

wcharon

Well then, if $1300 is within your reach, I would say the decision is made, provided you like the way the D7200 feels in your hands.

Don't be put off by the vast weight difference between the 5000 and the 7000 series. You will get used to it. My D5300 feels like a toy compared to my D300.

Ask the sales person at the store to show you which button you will have your thumb on should you decide to use Back Button Focus. [AE

Thanks for the advice. I will do that tomorrow. As you said my concern is the weight. If I could exchange the lenses at the store that will give me a better idea of the true weight of the D7200 with the 18-55.

RobV

Actually, doing a little research, the D7200 is much lighter than my D300!

D5500 420 grams
D5300 480 grams
D7200 675 grams
D300 925 grams

(snapsort weights)

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

I'll point out one thing in the D5x00's favor, over the D7x00, though I don't know if it will ever be a factor for you.

If you have, or are likely to ever acquire, any really old lenses, 1977 or earlier—non-AI lenses—you cannot use them on the D7x00. In fact, you risk damaging the camera if you try.

Nikon claims that you cannot use them on any DSLR other than the DF, but in fact, you can use them just fine on a D3x00 or a D5x00, albeit with some rather obvious and expected limitations. I have three non-AI lenses that I use all the time on my D3200.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

I'll point out one think in the D5x00's favor, over the D7x00, though I don't know if it will ever be a factor for you.

If you have, or are likely to ever acquire, any really old lenses, 1977 or earlier—non-AI lenses—you cannot use them on the D7x00. In fact, you risk damaging the camera if you try.

Nikon claims that you cannot use them on any DSLR other than the DF, but in fact, you can use them just fine on a D3x00 or a D5x00, albeit with some rather obvious and expected limitations. I have three non-AI lenses that I use all the time on my D3200.

Interesting ... so the non-AI lenses would be manual focus on the D5xxx, but there's no risk of damage on the D5xxx unlike on the D7xxx? I'm guessing this is do to the body's AF servo that's part of the D7xxx but not in the D5xxx/D3xxx?

Bob Blaylock

Interesting ... so the non-AI lenses would be manual focus on the D5xxx, but there's no risk of damage on the D5xxx unlike on the D7xxx? I'm guessing this is do to the body's AF servo that's part of the D7xxx but not in the D5xxx/D3xxx?

Non-AI lenses were made long before there was any such thing as autofocus.

The damage issue has to do with the AI coupling itself. In 1978, Nikon changed the way in which the lens communicated to the camera what aperture it was set to. The old (non-AI) way used that slotted tab that you see on old lenses, which engaged a pin on the camera. The new AI way involves a notch in the aperture ring, that engages a tab on the camera. Early AI cameras had that tab made so that you could fold it up out of the way to mount a non-AI lens; otherwise, mounting a non-AI lens, which doesn't have a notch to accommodate that tab, can damage the tab.

The D3x00 and D5x00 cameras don't have an AI tab. They will only communicate with a lens electronically, and thus, cannot meter with lenses that don't contain the necessary electronics. Higher models have an AI tab, and are thus able to meter with older non-electronic AI lenses, but at the expense of being vulnerable to damage if you try to mount a non-AI lens on them.

robbins.photo

Ok, so I might be the odd guy out here.. but believe it or not, I would seriously be considering this option:

Nikon D5300 with 2 lenses 18-55 / 70-300 with new AF-P lenses

I know.. sounds odd. I loved my D7100 - thought it was well worth the upgrade from the D5xxx series. The built in autofocus motor, the two command dials.. fell in love with that camera on day one.

So why would this be tempting as all get out? Go and check the MTF charts for these new AF-P lenses. I did just recently because as it so happens I was looking at the possibility of adding an inexpensive APS-C to my bag. Holy smokes, these things are unbelievably sharp for consumer grade lenses, both the 18-55 and the 70-300mm AF-P rival professional grade lenses in sharpness.

Just something to consider.

Last edited: