Help: Confused...to keep or sell my D7000?

dragion

Joking matter or not, you have already answered your original question in the first post.
You said that you always reach for the Sony.
You are also worried about the resale value of your 7000 dropping, which tells me that you already made up your mind that at some point you want to sell the 7000.
I don't see what all the drama is about.

I wouldn't want you to leave Nikonites just because you no longer have a Nikon camera, and you shouldn't have to.
Sell the 7000 enjoy your Sony and stick around to share your wonderful images.

If the answer was already stated, then why am I still confused? :confused:

You have to look at the bigger picture here...isn't it mostly true that when new gear is purchased, it is used the most in the beginning and the older gear is placed aside.

Example:
You buy a new car with all the latest technology with great horsepower...say a BMW.
The older one still runs great, but it is showing it sign of age and the engine & technology is no longer up to date...just say it is made by Mercedes-Benz.

Both brands are excellent cars, but which one will you take out for a night on the town?
Knowing that either car will take you from point A to point B.

Do you really "need" both cars?
Should you sell the Mercedes while the value is still good?

Probably not the best example, but I hope you get what I mean.

Just to confirm...I don't own either a BMW or Mercedes! ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
[QUOTE
Just to confirm...I don't own either a BMW or Mercedes! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah... they all say that. :distracted:
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be upset if you'd stick around and post in the non Nikon forum occasionally. But you couldn't participate to our assignment (monthly of weekly).
I just hope that you've used the A6000 enough and that you won't regret your final choice. And, who says it has to be final. You could always come back to a DSLR if you ever wish so.

For me, as much as I'd like the A6000, I don't think I could live with the Electronic Viewfinder as they are now.

dragion

Yeah... they all say that. :distracted:
As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be upset if you'd stick around and post in the non Nikon forum occasionally. But you couldn't participate to our assignment (monthly of weekly).
I just hope that you've used the A6000 enough and that you won't regret your final choice. And, who says it has to be final. You could always come back to a DSLR if you ever wish so.

For me, as much as I'd like the A6000, I don't think I could live with the Electronic Viewfinder as they are now.

Thanks Marcel for your kind words.

Since I'm only a hobbyist and don't rely on my gear for a profession, the EVF on the A6000 does a pretty good job.
Decision is still not final...D7000 still is not sold yet. ;)

Michael J.

I get the point you explained BMW & Benz.

I have the D80 and just used a little the more of two years I own the D5100. First I thought my daughter uses it but it is to heavy for her. After that I thought I use it as well but no way. I like the D5100. No it i sin a box waiting for what? Selling? No, I don't sell it either cos about my experience few years ago when my daughter drooped my cam, I didn't have a backup cam. So, no the D80 is my backup cam. Sometimes, I take one photo with it so it doesn't get that much dusty. But it is for me now great knowing if something happens to my D5100 I can always take the D80 out.

If I am getting one time a new cam the D5100 will be the backup. The D80 will still be in my property as well.

dragion

I get the point you explained BMW & Benz.

I have the D80 and just used a little the more of two years I own the D5100. First I thought my daughter uses it but it is to heavy for her. After that I thought I use it as well but no way. I like the D5100. No it i sin a box waiting for what? Selling? No, I don't sell it either cos about my experience few years ago when my daughter drooped my cam, I didn't have a backup cam. So, no the D80 is my backup cam. Sometimes, I take one photo with it so it doesn't get that much dusty. But it is for me now great knowing if something happens to my D5100 I can always take the D80 out.

If I am getting one time a new cam the D5100 will be the backup. The D80 will still be in my property as well.

Thank you for sharing and understanding my point.

I had the D3100 as my back up to my D7000, but I ended up selling it once I purchased the Sony A6000.
The A6000 was supposed to be the replacement for my back up, but now it seems to be a worthy replacement for the D7000 as my main camera.

I have thought of keeping and using the D7000 as second camera and/or when I'm needing something that is weather sealed during the bad weather days.
There are still advantages on keeping the D7000, that is why I'm in this situation.

Do I just keep it for times that I "might" need it or should I sell it while it's still worth selling? :confused:

mikew_RIP

Selling it is the only way you will be certain as to if you will miss it,every thing else would be guess work,have you used it since starting these questions.

Michael J.

If you only think about the money you can get now - sell it. But if you think that a new back-up camera will cost maybe more, keep it.

I think that the cam is next year not dropping the price that much. Maybe you see after what you need/want. It doesn't eat a hole in your pocket when you keep it.

Honestly, if you don't have any use for it only think to keep for a back up, etc., I think selling it is a better choice and buy some great equipment with the money you for your Sony and post your photos taken with it here in the Non-Nikon Section.

dragion

If you only think about the money you can get now - sell it. But if you think that a new back-up camera will cost maybe more, keep it.

I think that the cam is next year not dropping the price that much. Maybe you see after what you need/want. It doesn't eat a hole in your pocket when you keep it.

Honestly, if you don't have any use for it only think to keep for a back up, etc., I think selling it is a better choice and buy some great equipment with the money you for your Sony and post your photos taken with it here in the Non-Nikon Section.

Thanks siamthai1 :)

I have been contributing to the "other brands" thread...
http://nikonites.com/non-nikon-cameras/21386-other-brands-5.html#axzz37hg1pmFL

You will find a few of my photos on this page.

A little background info...
All the photos were taken in JPG with very little post processing done.
Any PP is from iPhotos basic software.

I prefer to be behind the camera, then to be in front of a computer.
I do enough of it already when I'm not involved with photography.

aroy

My take is that, holding on to some equipment that may be useful in future is what all of us rationalize for retaining old seldom used equipment. I am also in this camp. In contrast my wife keeps selling off what ever has not been used in last couple of years. (In India we are fortunate that every thing has a market - old news papers, broken electronics, broken furniture . . . .).

I now realise that excepting hand tools and a few pieces of equipment which neither deteriorates nor gets phased out; selling off every thing that is surplus; especially rapidly depreciating assets like DSLR bodies); is a financially correct decision, as every day you procrastinate, its value drops. As you keep debating, the resale of either your Sony or Nikon is plummeting. By the time you decide, the value of $1000+ kit today, may realise only $500, so you have lost. If you need a backup/replacement at a later date; unless you are profession photographer; you can always save the money from this sale and use it to acquire newer equipment as and when you need it. I waited for the price to be just right when I sold my film cameras and lenses. Then again waited till there was a new DSLR - D3300 and its price plummeted in India.

Last edited:

dragion

My take is that, holding on to some equipment that may be useful in future is what all of us rationalize for retaining old seldom used equipment. I am also in this camp. In contrast my wife keeps selling off what ever has not been used in last couple of years. (In India we are fortunate that every thing has a market - old news papers, broken electronics, broken furniture . . . .).

I now realise that excepting hand tools and a few pieces of equipment which neither deteriorates nor gets phased out; selling off every thing that is surplus; especially rapidly depreciating assets like DSLR bodies); is a financially correct decision, as every day you procrastinate, its value drops. As you keep debating, the resale of either your Sony or Nikon is plummeting. By the time you decide, the value of $1000+ kit today, may realise only $500, so you have lost. If you need a backup/replacement at a later date; unless you are profession photographer; you can always save the money from this sale and use it to acquire newer equipment as and when you need it. I waited for the price to be just right when I sold my film cameras and lenses. Then again waited till there was a new DSLR - D3300 and its price plummeted in India.

Well said...thank you! :)

This is the fear I have regarding the value of the D7000.
It is already going on 4 years since it has been released and soon there will be another model replacement, which will further decrease the value. :(

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Fuji x100s. I'm debating on trading in all of my Nikon gear and jumping ship.

Ah, the list of wants never ends. Have you played around with it a bit? I got a little X10 that I liked until the lens got stuck. I should get it back soon hopefully and will see from there. Technology has sure changed since 40 years ago. And it's not about to stop either. So I'm not hurrying in getting what seems to be fashionable too quickly. Good luck with your decision.

Browncoat

Oh yes, I've got one in my hands right now actually. A friend of mine wanted to borrow my kit for a few days, and left this little beauty with me in exchange. Truth is, I haven't had this much fun taking pictures for a long, long time.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh yes, I've got one in my hands right now actually. A friend of mine wanted to borrow my kit for a few days, and left this little beauty with me in exchange. Truth is, I haven't had this much fun taking pictures for a long, long time.

It does feel like a Leica doesn't it? Plus, no mirror noise or vibes.

Browncoat

It does feel like a Leica doesn't it? Plus, no mirror noise or vibes.

It does! I handled a Leica a couple years ago on a photowalk, and aside from the weight, the x100s is similar. This camera has seriously made me question my current kit, how I shoot, everything. I will probably end up buying one today and letting the chips fall where they may. If I find myself reaching for the Fuji over my Nikon more often, then I guess I have a decision to make.