hark 2022

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Oh! They sell Bimbo bread by me! It's pretty common in Hispanic areas, and can also be found in some of the larger supermarket chains around here. The packaging looks almost exactly like Wonder Bread, which probably accounts for their rise in sales when Wonder stopped producing a couple of years ago. It's less expensive than other brands. So...it's a cheap Bimbo :angel:

Some interesting information on the Bimbo name and History of the word.

Example
"Originally an insult directed at men, “bimbo” has been used almost exclusively as a gendered insult for an attractive, but dim-witted woman since the early 1900s."

https://www.ilovelanguages.com/what-does-the-spanish-word-bimbo-mean-in-english/

After reading Needa's comment, I did a search for Bimbo Bread and am quite surprised by what I found. Not only is it located in the greater Philadelphia region (although I haven't been there myself), it is a parent company to a vast number of well-known names such as Thomas' English Muffins, Sara Lee, Entenmann's, The Cheesecake Factory, and more. :eek: Wikipedia also states, It is also a top advertising sponsor for many major soccer teams around the globe.

Here is the list of Bimbo's brands:

https://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/our-brands

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I had no idea!!

At some point, I will see if I can find the Bimbo bread at one of my stores. Now I'm intrigued to see if it is good! Since they also make Stroehmann bread, hopefully the Bimbo bread will be decent - that is if I can find it. ;)

Peter7100

I'm laughing at the bread connection because if it was a company in the UK, someone by now would have demanded they changed their name as our country has gone nuts in recent years changing words that apparently offend some people.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
This is one of the photos I considered for the Low Perspective or Mode of Transportation monthly challenge but ultimately decided on a different image.

_10K6227 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I narrowed down choices for this week's challenge to two (Summer/Winter). This is the one I didn't submit. Ultimately I chose the other image because people were out on the lake.

_10K6148 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Bowman's Hill Tower taken from the parking lot of Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve, New Hope, PA.

_10K6507 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I went to a waterfront where people can dock boats and took a variety of images of boats, ski jets, and kayakers going by. This guy was really flying. Even though I've seen ski jets from time to time, I don't ever recall seeing one jump so high out of the water.

_5DX2613 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
September my high school class held a reunion - delayed 2 years due to Covid. This was our first time at this venue. And it was quite nice. Throughout the evening, I took photos of everyone to share with those who weren't able to attend. At the end of the night, one of the guys asked for my camera so I'd be included in the group of images. This is cropped as there were two classmates included in the image. It's rare for me to even be in pics because that is simply my preference.

During most of the evening, I used a MagSphere on my SB-700 bounced off the ceiling. As the night wore on, my batteries started to die so I ripped off the MagSphere and simply bounced. In hindsight, it wasn't the right move. I should have replaced the batteries or at least put on the OEM diffuser. The light wound up being too harsh on all of the images that lacked the MagSphere and made everyone look sweaty, myself included. :beguiled: Live and learn. ;)

_10K6654 crop low res.jpg

And today is my Australian Shepherd's 12th birthday. Since I wasn't able to take her photo outdoors during daylight, I opted to use flash indoors. This time I chose my 70-200mm f/4 because it is sharper than my 24-120mm f/4. Once again paired with my SB-700 bounced off the ceiling with the OEM diffuser.

I seemed to have lost my 2022 watermark brush. I don't even have the PSD file on my PC. :confused: So I'll have to create another at some point.

_DSC6734 low res.jpg

Dangerspouse

You are very photogenic, I don't see why you would balk at being included in pictures! And of course, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CUTE DOGGY WITH NO NAME!! Lol, what a cutie :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
You are very photogenic, I don't see why you would balk at being included in pictures! And of course, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CUTE DOGGY WITH NO NAME!! Lol, what a cutie :)

Her name is Keilah (pronounced Kayla). It was a compromise with my mom. I liked Keilah (Key-lah), she liked Kayla. So my spelling and her pronunciation! Lol. I sang Happy Birthday to Keilah before bedtime. She has a very distinct 'happy face' she makes when she's genuinely happy, and she was in her full glory listening. :)

Needa

Challenge Team
During most of the evening, I used a MagSphere on my SB-700 bounced off the ceiling. As the night wore on, my batteries started to die so I ripped off the MagSphere and simply bounced. In hindsight, it wasn't the right move. I should have replaced the batteries or at least put on the OEM diffuser. The light wound up being too harsh on all of the images that lacked the MagSphere and made everyone look sweaty, myself included. :beguiled: Live and learn. ;)

When using bounce flash I don't us a defuser but usually bounce off the ceiling behind me and some times behind and to the right or left. Notice the flash reflection in the glasses did you have it pointed strait up? guess should give the defuser a try.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
When using bounce flash I don't us a defuser but usually bounce off the ceiling behind me and some times behind and to the right or left. Notice the flash reflection in the glasses did you have it pointed strait up? guess should give the defuser a try.

It was angled - not quite straight up. I should have added the OEM diffuser which is what I usually do but forgot to put it on. The ceiling wasn't white although it was light-colored so I didn't want a complete color cast from it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
It's been a while since I've posted any photos. Today I went in search of a Great Egret that sometimes frequents this park only to come across this Great Blue Heron instead. It's sitting on the railing of the park's fishing pier. There was a man at the end of the pier who walked around a little, but that didn't faze this bird.

Nikon D500, 300mm f/4 PF coupled with Nikon 1.4x TC (effective focal length 420mm), f/9, 1/1250", ISO 720

_5DX3999 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Welcome back to posting photos (it has been 2 months) Cindy. Nice shot of a Great Blue Heron.
Thanks, Brent! :) I have a few more. I sized them a little larger than the last one so I'm not sure if the forum will accept them or not.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Well ... that was short-lived. At 2000 px on the long side, they are too big. Gonna have to back and resize them.