Greetings from the UK (Sheffield/Peak District)

Clovishound

It depends on what you plan on taking pictures of. The 24-70 you have will do nicely for landscape and general all around picture taking. If you want to be able to take close ups of things like architectural details and things, critters or people from a distance, then something that gets you out to 200mm or so would be a must. Unfortunately, Nikon doesn't really offer anything very affordable in that range.

I have used the 70-300 F4.5=5.6E with the FTZ on my Z5 with good results. It runs about $350 here in the States used in excellent condition.

I would respectfully disagree with Twisted Throttle on getting the 50mm prime at this point. You already have have that focal length covered with a very good lens, albeit slower aperture, lens. If you really need the extra speed of a 50mm prime, then fine.

As to my screen name, I used to be a very dedicated river diver in the area. I was a bit obsessed with finding Clovis era stone tools. They are arguably the oldest tools found here in North America, and rather a rare find. I managed to find 3 (4 if you count the Suwanee) during my time. That may not sound like much, but at the time there had been a little over 400 known finds in the state's history.

Bonky

Thanks again Clovishound; much appreciated. The 40mm prime may suit my needs for low-light conditions -even though the Z5 would not appear to have great AF capabilities in such conditions.

I do have a Nikon external flash btw. (SB600)

Best wishes,

R

TwistedThrottle

I think you'll find that mirrorless has a much better time focusing in low light than DSLR's ever did. Even at f4, most shots will easily find focus. I use my 50 for the effect on out of focus items more than just for low light and I'd personally get rid of my 24-70 f4 before getting rid of my 50 f1.8S. FYI, if you are going to be using the FTZ adapter anyways, the F mount 50 f1.8 af-s is almost as good for a bunch cheaper, if you don't mind the noise it makes as it focuses. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Bonky

Ok, another stupid question...

.. With my D5500 I have a 35mm prime, a 18-300 and 55-200 zoom(s).

I also have a FTZ11 adaptor for
the Z5, and have the Z 24-70 zoom on the Z5.

What do I do?
Opt1. Sell the D500 and 3 lenses.
2. Sell the D5500 and keep all/most of the Dx lenses? (If so, which ones)? (I'm tempted by the 35mm prime (and FTZ) -if only because it's faster, but the crop factor puts me off a little - and I add this 'cos of my 'research' rather than my real-world testing).

I've read good things about the Z40mm (but would the DX35mm + FTZ be almost as good?). On the other hand, I've also read good reviews re the Nikon Nikkor Z DX 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR..

I'm off, again, to India soon and although I've been to the same places 9 years ago (mostly 'shots'), I fancy taking more 'artistic' pictures this time.

The weight penalty (of the Z5 system) is something I'm aware of.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Clovishound

Keep in mind any DX (including the Z DX 50-250) lens you put on your Z5 will give you something like a 12 MP image. This is a significant degradation of image quality. Try it with the DX 35mm lens you have and see for yourself, but I'm confident you won't be happy with the results. If you are happy with the results, then use it.

As I talked about before, I wouldn't spend money on a prime lens that is within the coverage you already have with the 24-70, unless you really NEED the extra speed it affords, especially when you only have one Z lens right now. Remember the Z5 will likely have better low light performance than the 5500, and a couple stops of extra ISO is relatively easy to correct post processing anyway. If you need a narrower depth of field, just zoom to 70mm and backup. If you still want a fast prime in the normal range down the line when you have filled out the lens range/type you will have use for, then go for it then. Duplicating focal ranges early on is probably not the best way to go IMO.

Bonky

Yes, thank you. I think you have articulated what I already thought. I know this is, yet again, a silly question, but what should be my next acquisition, making the assumption that I could raise some cash from the sale of my D550 stuff?

I can't say I have a special 'genre' as I like landscapes, close-ups, "nature' ( I'm a 75 yr -old Biology lecturer), portraiture etc (probably in that order).

Perhaps a cheapish zoom (Nikon Nikkor Z DX 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR)??

Apologies if this oversteps my mark for asking so many subjective questions.

I also know I need to get to grips with Lightroom - or similar - so far distant from my Darkroom/B&W/Contax days!)

Clovishound

Well, looking at your interest list, it looks like you already have landscape covered with the 24-70. You could temporarily cover close up with the 24-70 by adding a set of extension tubes. Long term you will likely want something like the Z 105 micro, but that can probably wait until you see if you are willing to spend that much money. The extension tubes will set you back less than $50 US and yield good results. Here is a thread I started about my experience with extension tubes and the 24-70: Extension Tubes I started with them and my 24-70 prior to getting the 105. The 105 micro lens would also make a great portrait lens, although the 24-70 will do for a while. That brings us to a telephoto for nature work. This is tricky as you can get a 3rd party for relatively cheap, the z 180-600 for a good bit more, or go crazy with a long prime at $6K and up. If I had to do it again, right now, I would go for the new 180-600. Having a native mount is preferred in my book, and it gets great reviews. There is a thread here about it, and several members own one.

Again, I wouldn't recommend the 50-250. It is a DX lens and will throttle your image to around 12 MP resolution.

A lot depends on your budget, and direction of your interest. Based on your stated preferences, I would think the Z105 micro at around $1000 US would be a good candidate. You will probably want to invest in a flash for macro as well. They can be had fairly inexpensively and are almost a must for macro work IMO.

The other route would be to get a set of extension tubes, and then pick up either something like a Sigma 150-600, which would require an FTZ adapter, or the Nikon Z 180-600 which would be my preference. This setup would give you landscape, closeup, nature and portrait. It would cost you more than the micro lens, but would give more flexibility. The down side is more money, and less capability in closeup and portrait work.

Be aware, this is my opinion based on my experience. I initially got interested in nature photography and bought the 200-500 and an FTZ adapter (the Z 180-600 was not released then). Still, it's a sharp lens and works well with the FTZ and I have had a lot of fun shooting images of mostly birds. I later got the bug for close up work and started out with extension tubes. They performed well, but I didn't like the short working distance. I also couldn't switch to taking pictures at any distance without removing the tubes. I discovered I was interested enough in macro to pick up the Nikon Z 105 micro. It never ceases to impress me with image quality. I also picked up a Godox 685 flash. I don't always use flash for closeup work, but I wouldn't want to be without it.

No need to apologize for asking questions. That's what the forum is for. Besides, we like helping other people spend their money.;)

Bonky

Wow Clovishound, that's a very long and helpful reply and I feel quite embarrassed at the length of time it must have taken for you to think and compose your reply!

I had never thought about extension tubes...I used those 30-40 years ago but for some reason I didn't think you could get them for Z cameras - I can't explain why.

In the UK the Meike tubes are £45 from Amazon or £26 from China. Well worth a punt I think.. At present the Nikon Z 180-600 is beyond my (financial) reach - but who knows?

The Sigma 150-600mm is a bit more affordable (about £870 new or £550-£650 2nd-hand here in the UK).

I have a Nikon SB-600 flash.

Thanks again ---much appreciated.

R

Clovishound

The Meike tubes are what I have. They work fine. Again, I found the short working distance a little frustrating, but not a deal killer. You will want a diffuser for the SB-600. This is the style I have. They are cheap, work well, and store very easily.

amazon

Keep in mind that if you decide on the Sigma, you will have to purchase an FTZ adapter as they are only available (currently) in F mount.

No need to be embarrassed at the time I spent. I am retired and my wife is currently recovering from a broken hip. I have lots of time around the house on my hands right now. I just hope it will be of help to you, and not just a regurgitation of my own decisions on what to get. I seems that your photographic interests coincide a lot with mine, so I hoped my experience would be of help.

Bonky

Thanks for the hint re the speedlight diffuser. One is now on order!

I already have the FTZ (2) adaptor.

Very many thanks.

R

Last edited:

Clovishound

I should probably leave that to someone who has the Sigma and is using it with a Z camera. There are lots of reviews out there on the Sigma 150-600, the Tamron 150-600, and the Nikon Z 180-600. Keep in mind that there are two different Sigma 150-600 lenses. A contemporary and a sports model. The sports model is supposed to be a better lens and is priced accordingly, just be aware of which review you are reading.

Since you have an FTZ already, a used nikon 200-500 F5.6 might be an option as well, if you can get the right deal on it. It is a very well reviewed lens. Ken Rockwell says that if you already have the 200-500, he wouldn't recommend stepping up to the z180-600, although if buying new, he would recommend spending the extra and getting the Z lens. Looking at MPB, the Nikon 200-500 and the Sigma 150-600 are roughly the same price, used, with the Nikon being a little cheaper and lots more of them in stock to choose from.

I use an FTZ with my Nikon 200-500. It works well, but I much prefer my native mount lenses. It's a bit of apples to oranges, however, because the z lenses I own are much shorter focal lengths and will naturally focus quicker. Sharpness, with the 200-500, is quite good IMO.

I would also recommend to take the long view on lens purchases. While it may make sense to purchase an inexpensive stopgap solution, like the extension tubes for macro, quality lenses will serve you longer than most camera bodies. It also makes little sense to pair a great camera with a mediocre lens. I do understand the desire to outfit your new camera with all the lenses you want RIGHT NOW! Been there. The temptation to jump on a lens or two is strong, and often the wallet won't support what you really want. I had to strongly resist the temptation to pull the trigger on the Z7ii last month when they knocked $700 off normal price, and family was offering a couple hundred dollars of Christmas money to help. I had the money, but couldn't justify spending $2300 on something I just wanted.

Since you are looking at possibly getting rid of the D5500 and lenses, you might look at a trade situation with either a local store, or one of the online used equipment dealers. Sometimes you can get a discount versus an outright buy. Of course, you can probably get more for your old system by selling direct to an individual vs a dealer.

You'll get there, be patient and choose wisely.

Peter7100

No idea about using the Sigma 150-600 with an FTZ, but I love my Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens and can highly recommend it. I got my second hand on eBay UK for £520 and it is in mint condition.

Bonky

Thanks again for such a full and detailed answer. Doing the 'research is part of the fun isn't it? I'm torn between the Sigma and Nikon nikor 200-500 F5.6. My nearest 'real' camera shop is: http://harrisoncameras.co.uk A bit more expensive than most but knowledgable and one can try before buying. I'm going to give you a well-earned rest!