Settling for some extension tubes.

Clovishound

Well, those who may have followed my posts about the Nikon 105 micro lens of my daughter's that went NonFunctinal while I was using it, know that I am currently without macro capability. And since I had to lay out a fair amount of money for a replacement for her, my dreams of a Z mount 105 micro have been dashed, or at least postponed. To salve my macro hankerings for the mean time, I ordered a cheap set of extension tubes to be used with my 24-70 F4 and mounted on my Z5. They came in today and I quickly mounted the 11mm and the 18mm, stacked, on my lens and headed out to the yard in the hunt for small monsters.

This is what I got.

I started off with maximum magnification at 70mm. This guy was munching on my azalea bush in the front yard. It wasn't quite 1:1, but I was happy with the magnification, and the results.

_DAB2977.jpg

Oh, wait! Maximum magnification is actually achieved with shorter focal lengths. Duh!!!!!! 24mm wouldn't focus at minimum, so I moved it up to 28mm, where it focused, but was too close to the lens. I finally settled on 35mm, and that was a little more comfortable. I still don't think it was 1:1, but close enough. Not entirely happy with the working distance between the front element and subject, but I guess I can live with it. Sharpness seems good at first glance, and light loss is acceptable. This will help me scratch the itch until I can justify the $$$ on the 105 Z lens. FYI, this one was cropped, but not severely.

_DAB3019-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

These were just a few quick shots to test things out, not great shots, but give a sense of what this combo will do. I will try it out more thoroughly and post a few more shots, and impressions. For info, these tubes have full electrical contacts and are supposed to give full compatibility. AF works, although manual focus is almost a must, aperture control is much more important, and seems to work fine as well.

BF Hammer

I have some aftermarket AF-enabled F-mount extension tubes I have used over the years. They get the job done, but I don't trust the plastic lens mounts like you would a metal mount. Handle with care.

Saw in the used list at my local camera shop that they had some used Z-mount extension tubes for pretty cheap. But then I caught Covid and I have not acted on that. Wonder if they are still there?

Clovishound

These look like they are plastic tubes, but the bayonets are metal. Only way to tell for sure if the barrels are metal is to scratch them, which I would rather not do. They are rather short, and with metal bayonets, I think they are robust enough for my 24-70. They run $40 on Amazon for the set of 11mm and 18mm. The F mount tubes are crazy cheap.

Clovishound

Here you go Fred.

_DAB3031-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Focus point was on the ant tending her herd. I had the zoom set to 50mm to get some working distance as the lens was shading the subject from the flash. I should have gone back inside and gotten another tripod and the wireless flash controller to position the flash at a different angle. This means I didn't get as much magnification as I would have liked and had to crop more than I would have liked.

This is the first time I have used focus peaking. Sounds like something you could get arrested for. :rolleyes: I will have to use this in the future and see if it works well for me. I think it will. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's one using one of the small background cards the Pup got. It's a set of 5 - 5"x7" cards with different diffuse color backgrounds. I didn't get a good position on the ant, but it shows what you can do if the background is poor, if you have enough hands.

_DAB3042-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Clovishound

These look like the ones. You could also just take some out of focus shots and print them, although the stiff cards are probably more convenient. They also come with a little third hand, which might come in handy.

Amazon. where else?

Clovishound

Well, had a chance to shoot something similar to an image I shot with the Nikon 105 micro. I edited it and then zoomed in to over 100% in the viewer, and it still had good sharpness without running it through Topaz. This was shot at 60mm. I need to do the same with controlled conditions at other focal lengths, but at least 60mm is sharp, and working distance isn't too bad, even if magnification isn't as good as the dedicated macro, or shorter focal lengths with the extension tubes.

_DAB3104-SharpenAI-Focus-2.jpg

Clovishound

Went on my first outing with the tubes to Cypress Gardens Swamp park. Had a good time, despite the excessive humidity. Lots of nice tourists to talk to who were interested in either what I was doing, or the critters. Yes, I really enjoy talking to folks about things I'm interested in. Anyway, had a few cooperative critters, and was excited to see a preying mantis. I just wish he hadn't been in the middle of a flower bed. I had to stand on the edge and extend my hand with the camera all the way out and squint at the screen on the camera from 2 1/2 feet to compose and focus.

Here's a couple.

_DAB3269-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

I was taking a picture of a bee, and saw this guy. I snapped two quick pics just because it looked somewhat interesting, and forgot about it, until I looked at the images when I got home.

_DAB3281.jpg

_DAB3349.jpg

Clovishound

That was another one I had to just push my camera into the bushes, and try and compose and focus using the back screen. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it after I got home.

I went back to where the preying mantis was several times to see if he moved closer to the edge of the flower bed, but no such luck. Very few were focused on the eye, of course there eyes stick out the side of their head a good bit, and I was pretty much guessing on focus from a couple feet away.

_DAB3302-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

_DAB3299.jpg

Clovishound

Well, another outing to the swamp this morning. I don't know if there were more critters, or I am getting better at stalking them. I am learning how to creep up on them without scaring them off as often.

I like the contrast in colors in this one. I kind of wish I had backed off and gotten more of the dragonfly in the picture, but I took two or three shots and he took off before I could do anything else. I also like the dew on the flowers.

_DAB3494-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Had a tough time getting to this little guy. Too much foliage in the way, and with extension tubes, working distance is very tight.

_DAB3465-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Lunch time!

_DAB3513-SharpenAI-Focus-2.jpg

I remember these bugs from my childhood. Step on them and you will understand why they call them stink bugs. I trod carefully today.

_DAB3478-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Clovishound

Meike z mount. They seems to work quite well. I'm sure I'd get sharper results with a good prime lens vs the zoom I'm using. I've taken to running most of these through Topaz Sharpen, although the better images don't particularly need it.

Here's the link for the tubes:

Amazon

While I've got you on the line, Fred, I have a question about the Laowa manual focus macro lens I believe you have. Does it have automatic diaphram? Manual focus is fine for me, but having to manually open it up to focus, then stop it down to shoot would be a real pain for shooting critters.

Fred Kingston

I don't have the Laowa...I bought the Ttartisan 50mm f2... But they are all the same... There is no mechanical activation of the shutter like the older Nikon lenses... all these less expensive lenses have traditional click stopped aperture rings... There's no electrical aperture... you just dial in the aperture and go... Shot a bunch with yesterday... old school shooting... Dial in an aperture, f8 and set the ISO to auto...huperfocal distance works a treat...

Fred Kingston

Yes... In fact, using focus peaking, you can dial in depth-of-field by turning the aperture ring as a process and see the DOF change right in your viewfinder... on your DSLR, you had to press the preview button to stop down the aperture to see what it was going to be... on the Z, you see it change live...

Clovishound

Today I printed an 11x17 of the dragonfly on the orange flowers.

I love it. The fine detail is excellent. I'm tempted to get some 13 x 19 paper. That's the largest my printer will handle. I need to dig out the mat cutting equipment. A well chosen mat can make a big difference in the look of a photo.

BF Hammer

Meike z mount. They seems to work quite well. I'm sure I'd get sharper results with a good prime lens vs the zoom I'm using. I've taken to running most of these through Topaz Sharpen, although the better images don't particularly need it.

Here's the link for the tubes:

Amazon
If I can make time while working in the neighborhood, my camera shop has that set of extension tubes listed on their used equipment for sale. $29 instead of $39 new. I don't think I'll make a dedicated trip to save $10 though.

Edit: 3 days later, a slow day at work, and a side trip to the camera shop. I now have the Meike Z extension tubes also.

Last edited: