Good deal on Refurbished D7100 from Adorama

dickelfan

I might have to pull the trigger on this....I've got a d7000, and might just sell it on craigslist and pay the difference for the 7100

RON_RIP

Well there is the problem Don. Tell her "hell no, you can' t have my 7100". That will motivate to take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blacktop

Well,with all the fine talk I have heard on this forum, I had to jump on the Adorama deal on the D7100. I sure hope you guys were not just whistling Dixie. Expect my D7100 here by Monday. Is there any must do's that I should address when it comes?
Big mistake!..Horrible, horrible camera. I don't know who was whistling Dixie , but they should have their whistling privileges revoked.:loyal:

(Just kidding of course. You did fine buying that cam. You'll be happy I'm sure. )

Wolfeye

Hmmm, I could "upgrade" my D300 and double the resolution. And halve the build quality. :)

I sold my D7100 a while ago. This almost tempts me to buy it again.

Bigdw58

I'm in, ordered mine last night shipping out today. Was planning on getting a new D7200 in several weeks but the price difference was too much to ignore. Should have it by the 25th. Counting the days already.

Blacktop

Hmmm, I could "upgrade" my D300 and double the resolution. And halve the build quality. :)

I sold my D7100 a while ago. This almost tempts me to buy it again.

You would also be just about doubling ISO performance. The D7100 be a great choice for an upgrade. Also, I don't know where you're getting "and halve the build quality" from
Yes the D300 is a sturdier camera, but not by much and certainly not by double.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I really wasn't in the market for a new camera (money wise), but this deal is really calling my name. Ha! I feel it would be a great addition to the D5300. I even put it in the cart on Adorama's site, but did not checkout yet. Wife says, after I get a couple of porches poured, to go for it. I will not be able to get the porch concrete for a couple of weeks at the earliest. Ha! One question is: Has anyone bought or utilized the GreenLeaf? warranty plan on Adorama? I think it is about $40 for 3 year warranty including spills and drops. Refurbished (I have read all of the great experiences you all have posted) makes me want a little more security in the purchase, I guess. Ha!

RON_RIP

Originally Posted by cwgrizz
I really wasn't in the market for a new camera (money wise), but this deal is really calling my name. Ha! I feel it would be a great addition to the D5300. I even put it in the cart on Adorama's site, but did not checkout yet. Wife says, after I get a couple of porches poured, to go for it. I will not be able to get the porch concrete for a couple of weeks at the earliest. Ha! One question is: Has anyone bought or utilized the GreenLeaf? warranty plan on Adorama? I think it is about $40 for 3 year warranty including spills and drops. Refurbished (I have read all of the great experiences you all have posted) makes me want a little more security in the purchase, I guess. Ha!
Welt looks like a lot of us are jumping on this bargain and why not? Mine arrive today and I will be putting it through it's paces this coming week. I too would like any info anyone has about the Adorama 3 year warranty. That would be good info to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have bought all my refurbished gear from Camata and they give a full year warranty on all their gear. I have yet to have to use any of the warranties so.....

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have bought all my refurbished gear from Camata and they give a full year warranty on all their gear. I have yet to have to use any of the warranties so.....
Thanks Don for the response. I usually don't buy extended warranties at all, but I usually have bought new. I don't feel that a little over a $1/month is too much if the company is good and takes care of the camera. I don't want to buy the warranty if it is a hassle to get the coverage when needed. Ha!

Now back to the cameras.. The D5300 vs the D7100. I have been looking at comparison reviews and see that in some area the D5300 comes out on top and in others the D7100 comes out on top. It is kind of a tough (for me) decision if I can justify $500 for another camera. @RocketCowboy you have both. What are your thoughts?

Here are some of my thoughts on the issue (only posting to see them in writing. Ha). I like the articulating screen on the D5300, even though I don't use it much, it comes in handy at times. I like the idea of the focus motor in the D7100 which will support older lenses (I don't have any, but I assume it would be less expensive to purchase a comparable lens). I have two lenses, the 18-55 VR II and the 70-300 VR II. With both cameras I think I would keep the 70-300 on the D7100 ((Fine tune focus availability) and the 18-55 on the D5300 (I usually get good results with that combo). I like the idea of the sealed body on the D7100 ( I do live in a sandy, dusty desert environment). For me the faster FPS for the D7100 is not an issue for me, because I haven't seen any problem with the D5300. The better HD video capability of the D5300 is not an issue either, as I have only tried it one time to see if it worked. Ha! The dual memory card slots and the presets on the D7100, might be an options that I would learn to appreciate. The higher shutter speed of the D7100 is a nice to have option, but I have not used the 1/4000 of the D5300 to date, so not sure how often I would use the 1/8000 of the D7100.

Anyone who know the two cameras, feel free to share how they would compliment each other. Ha!

Here are some of my thoughts on the issue (only posting to see them in writing. Ha). I like the articulating screen on the D5300, even though I don't use it much, it comes in handy at times. I like the idea of the focus motor in the D7100 which will support older lenses (I don't have any, but I assume it would be less expensive to purchase a comparable lens). I have two lenses, the 18-55 VR II and the 70-300 VR II. With both cameras I think I would keep the 70-300 on the D7100 ((Fine tune focus availability) and the 18-55 on the D5300 (I usually get good results with that combo). I like the idea of the sealed body on the D7100 ( I do live in a sandy, dusty desert environment). For me the faster FPS for the D7100 is not an issue for me, because I haven't seen any problem with the D5300. The better HD video capability of the D5300 is not an issue either, as I have only tried it one time to see if it worked. Ha! The dual memory card slots and the presets on the D7100, might be an options that I would learn to appreciate. The higher shutter speed of the D7100 is a nice to have option, but I have not used the 1/4000 of the D5300 to date, so not sure how often I would use the 1/8000 of the D7100.

Anyone who know the two cameras, feel free to share how they would compliment each other. Ha!

one of the reason I first updated from the D5100 to the D7000 was the weather sealing of the D7000. Was nice to know if I got caught out in the rain I did not worry that he camera would be ruined. the things I really like about the D7?00 over the D5?00 are the additional controls. It does take a little while to get used to using all of them over the menu system but once you do then it is a lot faster and therefore you tend to use more of the controls more often. The User presets are nice also. Not sure if you D5300 has those or not but the D5100 did not as far as I remember. The duel slots are great since you can use one as backup or overflow and put RAW on one and JPEG on the other. you can also do Bracketing a lot better on the D7100 than the 5000 series, that is a feature I use often,

And finally, I do miss the articulated screen of the D5100. Why they did not put it on the 7000 series is beyond me. I want the D750 since it does have that feature,

RocketCowboy

Now back to the cameras.. The D5300 vs the D7100. I have been looking at comparison reviews and see that in some area the D5300 comes out on top and in others the D7100 comes out on top. It is kind of a tough (for me) decision if I can justify $500 for another camera. @RocketCowboy you have both. What are your thoughts?

I bought the D5300 initially based on built in wifi and GPS. (I'm a wifi guy by day, so that seemed logical to me). I was disappointed with both. Doesn't affect the image IQ of the D5300, but with neither of those not adding much value, and the controls harder to get to than with my film Nikon 35mm, I opted for the D7100.

For me, I like the easier access to controls without having to go through the menus, the topside LCD panel (which is something I like on the D7100 over the D750 even), and the ability to use older lenses. The D7100 has allowed me to use some of my older 35mm film camera lenses, or buy lenses that I can use with the film camera when I feel like experimenting. I *feel* like IQ improved on the D7100, but I also think I've been doing more manual controls since it's easier on that body, and that probably has allowed me to capture closer to what I saw in my mind's eye.

I don't think you can go wrong going from the D5300 to the D7100, and the D5300 still makes a great backup camera when you want something smaller/more compact.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Good thing I already have a D7200 so I'm not tempted. I bought two cars in the last three weeks. (Yes, TWO. I know, I'm nuts.) One of these days I'll find a good used macro lens, but for now I had better work on replenishing my savings account. :)