Get the NEW Perfect Effects 8 Premium Edition for FREE

singlerosa_RIP

For free, it's awesome! After playing with it as a plug-in on LR4 and Win7 for 5 minutes, I like it. At a minimum, I can now add borders. Thanks again for the heads up.

Jonathan

While I can't blame you, like I said before, FREE is the perfect price, and there's some things in there that I wish Nik did a little better.

True, but I don't want to divert my limited time, and even more limited intelligence, away from learning something I used my hard-earned cash to buy. Sometimes free ain't all it's dressed up to be!

(And I can add borders with Snapseed.)

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

True, but I don't want to divert my limited time, and even more limited intelligence, away from learning something I used my hard-earned cash to buy. Sometimes free ain't all it's dressed up to be!
I know what you mean... I thought about installing this but then I thought to myself I don't really need any additional tools at the moment, I need to better learn the tools I already have. Between Photoshop and NIKTools, my plate is full!

RockyNH_RIP

Not just Layers, Pat, but Layer Masks. The great part of the Nik Collection is the ease in which control points allow you to add and/or subtract the effect of an adjustment to part of the photo. As with Photoshop & Elements, it's an all or nothing adjustment unless you make it to a separate layer and then mask in/out the parts you want. I used to hate masks, but the more I use them the more I am able to control the effect of the adjustment using various opacity values in the mask. I still find Control Points to be infinitely easier, but you gotta work with what they give you. And when you start combining layers, masks and blending methods it gets really interesting.

Just starting to dabble in Control points now in NIK... and yes, layer masks, I agree.. (something else I am learning in Elements!!) :)

Pat in NH

Krs_2007

I want add also that they have a great suite of tools. If you have NiK then no worries. I have both and find that both suits fill gaps that the other doesn't, if that makes since.

i bought the OnOne suite first and then later added NiK. As a company, they have great support, I get emails about training and they do a lot of videos on various topics.

If I had to pick only one, I couldn't do it. I will say that a great part of their suite is a product called perfect resize, it is a great tool. The rest of the package is great as well but the resize is why I bought the suite.

BackdoorArts

I'm with Kevin, though I went in the other direction. I saw it demonstrated over a lunch break during the Kelby Training I attended last April and while I was underwhelmed with some of the basic tools, I found that the Perfect Mask and Perfect Portrait tools to be nice additions to what I had with Nik, and the promise of Perfect Resize being able to up-size better than any other tool, should you ever need it, held a lot of promise. Perfect B&W and Perfect Enhance are shadows of the Nik counterparts (Silver Efex Pro 2 and Viveza), but Perfect Effects and Color Efex Pro 4 both have their place.

I understand that there's always stuff to learn that you haven't learned yet, but I don't quite get turning down free when all it's costing you is disc space.

singlerosa_RIP

So here's what it did for me in LR4 on a shot I did last year. Main thing I like is the variety of borders. AND, it gives you layers in Lightroom which is kinda cool.

Studio Rose-2.jpg

BackdoorArts

So here's what it did for me in LR4 on a shot I did last year. Main thing I like is the variety of borders. AND, it gives you layers in Lightroom which is kinda cool.

Now by this do you mean that you store it as a TIFF/PSD and then can re-access the file in Perfect Effects or PS/PSE?

MoabLady

I understand it is supposed to be a plug-in for Photoshop, Lightroom, etc... I don't see where it shows up in Photoshop as a plug-in. Those that have used it; is it a stand alone? I have a desktop icon I can open and it seems to be a standalone.