First Camera

stmv

I guess the D600 is a beginners camera, for it has scene modes.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Creative support - Nikon D600

laughs,, quite the beginner's camera, I wonder how many people even use scen modes? People that are non skilled, typically set in Auto and forget,

and those that want to grow further, quickly go beyound any canned built in camera biased programmng mode.

But,, pretty harmless to leave them in. A really good exercise, is to read the manual, and study what bias is for each scene mode, one can learn then to apply the same bias in their own manual control, and the tune further to tune the scene.

BackdoorArts

laughs,, quite the beginner's camera, I wonder how many people even use scen modes? People that are non skilled, typically set in Auto and forget,

and those that want to grow further, quickly go beyound any canned built in camera biased programmng mode.

But,, pretty harmless to leave them in. A really good exercise, is to read the manual, and study what bias is for each scene mode, one can learn then to apply the same bias in their own manual control, and the tune further to tune the scene.

Well, I suppose my brother's 25 years making a living at pointing and shooting have gone for naught as he will still use scene modes for some things. The camera is a tool, and learning how to use it as effectively as possible is the photographer's job. If you've never played with the scene modes then you're not exactly fully versed on your tool kit, are you? Not that you couldn't DIY, but if you know that the quick twist of a dial will get you nearly exactly what you want under certain conditions wouldn't that be something you'd like to have in your back pocket?

Relying on scene modes because you know no better makes you a beginner. Using them because you know how and when makes you everything but. Why hammer 4 nails when 1 screw will do?

AC016

Well, I suppose my brother's 25 years making a living at pointing and shooting have gone for naught as he will still use scene modes for some things. The camera is a tool, and learning how to use it as effectively as possible is the photographer's job. If you've never played with the scene modes then you're not exactly fully versed on your tool kit, are you? Not that you couldn't DIY, but if you know that the quick twist of a dial will get you nearly exactly what you want under certain conditions wouldn't that be something you'd like to have in your back pocket?

Relying on scene modes because you know no better makes you a beginner. Using them because you know how and when makes you everything but. Why hammer 4 nails when 1 screw will do?

Well said. I certainly played around with the scene modes on all my cameras, but i certainly don't rely on them. At the moment, i shoot in M mode all the time. I feel that there seems to be a bit of snobbery when it comes to entry-level cameras. It's as if people are trying to say they are far to good to have scene modes on a camera and what an insult would it be to them to have the modes there. Get over yourselves people! Just as with the video feature in a DSLR, the scene modes are there as an extra. If you don't want to use them, don't. But don't pooh pooh a camera just because it has a feature that you think is beneath you.

stmv

did not mean it as a pooh pooh, just saying that I suspect that not a whole lot of use eventually, sure,, in a rush, select the scene mode, but not convinced it saves a whole of time. and worse, without knowing the bias that the computer program is doing, the outcome might not be what one is expecting, and too late, once you get home, but to say, one has to learn the scene modes,, for those moments seems to be overstating.

I confess, I prefer to keep it simple, and find the simple easier, yes, I can use action mode, or back lit, etc, or can know to have the shutter speed fast, or pop my flash for when the light is behind the subject. My hat off to those that learn every nuance and program mode of their cameras.

Last edited:

JackLee

thanx dude for sharing such useful information...bt ido nt think as a beginer u start with D3x00. its upto your creativity.or an iseo how you utilise your intelligence.

BackdoorArts

thanx dude for sharing such useful information...bt ido nt think as a beginer u start with D3x00. its upto your creativity.or an iseo how you utilise your intelligence.

I think the formula is Nikon's for branding and not necessarily a categorization of the user. Digital photography, for some, is an intimidating thing to be waded into with baby steps lest you get over your head before you know it. For others it's a grand new world to dive into and explore completely. That attitude dictates which end of the pool a new photographer might consider jumping in. The rest is, more than likely, dictated by budget.

CyHawk

I just got it today. It's in great condition.

Nikon D90.jpg

CyHawk

I'd thought I would share a few of my first photos. Still on auto learning the basics. This is my 8 month old son Alex.
DSC_0023.jpgDSC_0060.jpgDSC_0063.jpg