Firmware Update To Increase The Maximum Number Of Brackets On A D610?

PhotoBob

Is it possible to get, or that one could get at some time in the near future, a firmware update to increase the number of brackets on the D610.

I didn't realise it was limited to 3. Could do with at least 5 for decent HDR work.

Manual modification will inevitably introduce some movement unless I have a tripod made out of a 1 tonne block of concrete... won't it?

Or is there a way around this?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon won't upgrade the firmware for this based on past experience. What you can do is increase the bracket to 2 full stops which will give you very good results for HDR. (Not sure if the D610 allows for this so you'll need to check.)

I frequently hand hold HDR but you really need to pay attention to your settings (shutter speed, etc.), breathing and bracing. Tripod is best.

PhotoBob

Thanks for that. I checked and I can choose any value between 0.3 and 3.0 brackets each side of middle.Found a guy online talking about some alternative firmware you can install - but he claimed he preferred to do the whole thing manually. I guess with auto alignment + tripod the very small motion from manually changing exposure, things would be fine.I'll stick with 3 exposures for now and see how I get on I think.Don't fancy installing someone else's firmware. Nikon won't like that I imagine!

FastGlass

You don't really need the bracket option in camera. Just adjust your exposure to under or over expose the scene how much and how many time you want. This will of course require a tripod.

PhotoBob

Yep aware that's possible but as I said in the OP it's going to move the camera some. I have a remote control to avoid this problem but if I have to return to the camera to adjust it for each shot, obviously the benefit of the remote is somewhat reduced.

aroy

Actually with a DR of 14EV, a +-3EV will give you a DR of 20EV. That takes care of most of the scenes. It was in days when DR was 10EV or so that a lot of bracketing shots were required for HDR.

Blacktop

You can install DSLR Dashboard from the Google playstore if you have an Android phone or tablet, and go crazy with bracketing without having to touch the camera.

PhotoBob

Actually with a DR of 14EV, a +-3EV will give you a DR of 20EV. That takes care of most of the scenes. It was in days when DR was 10EV or so that a lot of bracketing shots were required for HDR.

Ah that makes sense. Excellent, thank you. Saves space and time with hopefully the same result.

I did read that taking lots of exposures meant one particular one might be particularly good for one part of the image though, and careful selection of 3 out of 9 gave better results. But I'm sure for my needs, given your good point (assuming you're correct - I'll trust you :)), I'll be fine.

Blacktop, I have an iPad but don't understand how it can interface to a device with no wifi or bluetooth... or do you mean I'd need the app and the Nikon Wifi gizmo?

TY

hrphotography

When I asked Olympus the same question about my dslr few years ago they told me it can't be done as camera buffer is limited and that's why they have made E5. Thats why Nikon has made D800 or D4 :)
Now someone with a custom firmware may be able to enable that but I don't think Nikon ever will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

With the D800 and D600 I can do 5 and even 7 exposure HDR's from a single frame and not flinch. And guess what? No image ghosting!! :)

If you don't want to stretch the limitations of dynamic range then set the bracket to the widest range (+/-3?) and then squeeze the +/-2 from the outside edges and +/-1 from the 0 exposure. You'll probably need to override the exposure in your software.

PhotoBob

Honestly 1 RAW file can be plenty HDR all on its own.

Well yes it can, of course, but quite often it can't. I'm using a Nikon 14-24f/2.8 which sees a whole lot of things in one shot. It seems more often than not that something's under and something's over exposed in the same shot. The lens is giving excellent detail corner to corner - seems a shame not to make that all visible in the finished print.

Well yes it can, of course, but quite often it can't. I'm using a Nikon 14-24f/2.8 which sees a whole lot of things in one shot. It seems more often than not that something's under and something's over exposed in the same shot. The lens is giving excellent detail corner to corner - seems a shame not to make that all visible in the finished print.

RAW is great in 95% of shots but the 5% can really benefit from multiple shots. My D7000 only did 2 shots and I thought that was pretty good but the D7100 can go up to 5 shots and that can make a big difference in HDR. I do 5 shot brackets all the time hand held and PhotoShop and NIK do a great job of putting them together.

We have to remember that HDR is just for those scenes that have such a great range that 1 shot just can't handle the contrast

Englischdude

look for another option without considering a future update. I have the same issue with my D7K and have been advised it is Nikon's firmware update policy to iron out bugs only and not to offer new features.

BackdoorArts

My D7000 only did 2 shots and I thought that was pretty good...

D7000 did 3. You may have been turning the control wheel in the wrong direction. Turn the back wheel on way you get 2 shots with either a plus or minus exposure compensation. Turn it the other way and you get 3 with a +/-. Always thought that was weird.

I've never heard Nikon to upgrade specs like that via firmware. Once they're on paper, if you want more it's the next model. There are firmware hacks that become available over time, but if the specs aren't enough when I go to buy it, I don't buy it.

D7000 did 3. You may have been turning the control wheel in the wrong direction. Turn the back wheel on way you get 2 shots with either a plus or minus exposure compensation. Turn it the other way and you get 3 with a +/-. Always thought that was weird.

I've never heard Nikon to upgrade specs like that via firmware. Once they're on paper, if you want more it's the next model. There are firmware hacks that become available over time, but if the specs aren't enough when I go to buy it, I don't buy it.

I mis-typed, I knew it was 3. I used it a lot when I was learning HDR