Error with aperture

Bikerbrent

It is exactly what I would expect. Please view page 76 of the user manual for the D70 for a complete explanation (I tried to copy the page for you from the download page, but it did not work).

mikew_RIP

You did well for 1/10th of a second and they came up well.

DSC_0920.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

floa

It is exactly what I would expect. Please view page 76 of the user manual for the D70 for a complete explanation (I tried to copy the page for you from the download page, but it did not work).

I'm confused. I'm reading the manual (I have the spanish version, but I assume the pages are the same; it's the one about CPU lenses) and I get that a D lens has to be set to smallest aperture and the body will set the aperture. All I can think of is there's either something wrong with the body or the lens.

480sparky

Once again: When you look through the viewfinder and adjust the aperture ring (NOT using the camera's control.... the actual ring on then lens!!!!!!), does the brightness of the viewfinder change?

floa

Well... you were supposed to take real pictures.... not the inside of a lens cap...;)

It is an actual picture. That's exactly the reason why I'm asking here. There's almost no light in indoor photos, and even outdoors it's hard to get good lighting. No matter how big the aperture is set, everything is almost pitch dark unless I turn speed way down.

nickt

Does the lens behave like I described above? Post 18. If the lens does behave like I describe and it is a D lens, I'd vote towards the camera being bad.
The lens at f22 should be stopped down in your hand. As you mount it, it should open up and stay open even when you turn the ring. Viewfinder should be bright. At that point, it should not stop down until the shutter trips and aperture tab on the camera body allows the lens to stop down during the shutter cycle. Your viewfinder should never be dark unless you were using a non cpu lens.