Eclipse for some of us

Skwaz

I've taped a No 13 welders lens on my lens hood it's perfect
just had a practice on the evening sun great colour exposure was just 1/10 at 5.6
Problem is focus can't seem to get a sharp image with sigma 70-300 even with it on tripod

jay_dean

I've taped a No 13 welders lens on my lens hood it's perfect
just had a practice on the evening sun great colour exposure was just 1/10 at 5.6
Problem is focus can't seem to get a sharp image with sigma 70-300 even with it on tripod
Are you using manual focus?

Skwaz

Yep jaydean manual focus in live view , tripod , wireless trigger not a lot else I can do
Not used this lens much , always seem to have a prob with it , maybe needs calibrating but I've heard zooms are
a bit of a pain to do

J-see

The last time there was an eclipse here, I took the day off and had a wonderful time watching a clouded sky.Something was happening beyond those clouds but I had to watch the news to see it.

Skwaz

Thanx scott
the low shutter speed was because it was early evening weak sun and prob a little haze so yes would
hope to get a much higher speed on the day weather permitting , what would be the advantage of auto focus
then switching to manual ?
Thanx Jaydean the cheap end Sigma 70-300 doesn't have any vr so that's not an issue

Skwaz

Oh and just a thought , although it's widely offered as an option welders lenses are not exactly optical glass
am I going down the wrong path with that

Scott Murray

Thanx scott
the low shutter speed was because it was early evening weak sun and prob a little haze so yes would
hope to get a much higher speed on the day weather permitting , what would be the advantage of auto focus
then switching to manual ?
Thanx Jaydean the cheap end Sigma 70-300 doesn't have any vr so that's not an issue

The advantage is getting accurate focus on the sun and then when you switch it to manual it will stay focused on the sun so long as you do not bump the focus ring.

Oh and just a thought , although it's widely offered as an option welders lenses are not exactly optical glass
am I going down the wrong path with that

If you do not have Solar film then a welders lens is the only safe option.

J-see

If tomorrow is like today I won't even bother getting the cam out.

When I got up it was misty and when I go to sleep it probably still is. I didn't even see clouds today.

Lee532

The sun is out! First time we have seen it here in North Lincolnshire for a week. Fingers crossed it stays this way and I'll be trying to capture the eclipse later. I am on a training course at work but we have all told the instructor she can forget doing anything around 9.30 :)