DX Wide angle zooms

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
How will you use the lens? If it is for landscape, odds are you'll be stopping the aperture down. If so, speed isn't as much of an issue and you may be able to save on cost. Since I primarily use my Sigma 10-20 for landscape, I was okay with the aperture of f/4-5.6. If I was shooting indoors (e.g. architecture) I would go with the Tokina 11-16/2.8.

§am

I'm going to be keeping this thread bookmarked somewhere - I've been creating a wishlist of lenses and their potential uses when I'm rich and money grows on trees :)

The UW category is an interesting on, and certainly the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 seems to be getting all the rave reviews at the moment

Allen

Actually, I am a bit surprised at the general preference for the Tokina 11-16; That being said, it poses one additional question: given the greater reach of the Nikkor 10-24 would that lens perhaps replace to some extent an additional midrange or perhaps a super zoom? .... especially since its performance is at least on par with the Tokina with much less range....

BackdoorArts

But Rick - they don't make an UW G series :p
This could mess up your signature: 14/2.8... 28/1.8g... 50/1.8g... 85/1.8g... 105/2.8g

Actually it bookends it nicely with the 2.8's on the outside of the 1.8's. LOL

Allen, I can't be sure, but I would guess that the bang for the buck ($300 savings) and wider aperture (fixed f2.8 vs. f3.5-4.5) performance the of the Tokina is what makes it so popular.

stmv

some people love wideangle,, and others shy away.. you can really move in on a subject, and for non landscapes, sometimes it becomes a bit too much camera in face,, hence the use as mostly a landscape lens, let me see if I can dig out a shot using a wideangle...

example wide angle.jpg

Here it was handy,,, at 15mm because limited space to work in, but when I was looking thru my portfolio, really a low % for me is at this range,

Ironicallly, Lately, instead of using my wide angle,

I just photo merge a 3 row double high shot, I just findi it easier,,, than carrying the wide angle. These type of shots, I have a lot off.

city2-_DSC2335-Panorama-3.jpg

wide angle effect, but shot at 35 mm and photo mergred

Last edited:

Allen

"some people love wideangle,, and others shy away.. you can really move in on a subject, and for non landscapes, sometimes it becomes a bit too much camera in face,, hence the use as mostly a landscape lens, let me see if I can dig out a shot using a wideangle.."

You raise interesting factors...that being said, at present the only way for me to get 'wide angle' is with my 18-200 superzoom, which isn't so super at either end, so I do need a solution, which is why I mentioned the nikkor perhaps doing some double duty....

stmv

are you staying DX for a while,, or have any plans to moving to FX,, like say a used D700? or a D600 as their prices continue to fall (I predict sales in 6 months of around 1700 dollars!)..

If staying DX for a while,, then any of the lens will do that get you to the wide angle, Hence why I bought the 10-20 almost 10 years ago, more choices now. Any professional stores around that you can look at in person? It might just be the feel of the lens that makes the decision for you.

As far as quality, the Nikkor consumer lens are not that much different anymore from Sigma or Tokina, so, my vote would be for whichever lens has the highest optical quality. Whichever lens you buy at this price point, needs to be treated gently.

If you do go FX,, then even a 20 mm prime gives a nice wide angle.
I will say that dollar for dollar, at 14-15 mm, cheaper to go DX. ultra wide on FX cameras are not cheap.

ryanwphotography

That is true. I will be using it for landscapes mostly. I'M gonna look at the price difference and build quality. And see how they stack up!

And why do do some people complain about a wide angle distorting? Ummm.. It's a wide angle! lol and most of the time it can be corrected.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

There's "good" distortion and "bad" distortion, and each possible use of a wide angle will dictate into which category some of those distortion types fit. For instance, curved lines on the edges may be acceptable, but "really curved" may not. How much barrel distortion you get may impact your ability to use the lens for certain things. The wider you get the more variety you can find within the same focal length. That's why renting/borrowing can be so important because you have no way of knowing whether specific distortion types have been adjusted in post-processing (i.e. Lightroom provides lens profiling for each of these that will allow you to correct each of these aspects).

ryanwphotography

There's "good" distortion and "bad" distortion, and each possible use of a wide angle will dictate into which category some of those distortion types fit. For instance, curved lines on the edges may be acceptable, but "really curved" may not. How much barrel distortion you get may impact your ability to use the lens for certain things. The wider you get the more variety you can find within the same focal length. That's why renting/borrowing can be so important because you have no way of knowing whether specific distortion types have been adjusted in post-processing (i.e. Lightroom provides lens profiling for each of these that will allow you to correct each of these aspects).

Ya is supposed eh, (Yes I'm Canadian) If it's too much distortion then your bordering fisheye. And some people hate fisheye.

stmv

I think I would word this as correctable distortion and non correctable,, don't think there are too many cases where I would cause distortion good...there are some casese where one uses distortion as part of the intent... like this shot with my 8mm Fisheye.field of yellow.jpg

Last edited:

ryanwphotography

Ya, I've never used a really wide angle before. The widest I've used is 18mm. On my DX. So I was just expecting lots of distortion. But I will have to look at all the options and compare I guess. I'm gonna post a photo I took in British Columbia Canada using my 18-105. Once I get to my laptop!

Allen

I will most probably be DX for quite a while, unless Nikon does something dramatic to affect the future of it. I do need to try and get to a shop that carries at least some of the candidates...yes.

§am

Allen - surely in the US the biggest two would carry all the lenses mentioned here.
Adorama and B&H :)

Though nice if you can send some sales to your local dealer :)

Allen

Well, to move the conversation out a bit....my longer term strategy lens-wise (hinted in a previous post) is to use the 10-24 as a wide angle as well as 'almost normal' lens, then perhaps get a fast 35 or 50, eventually getting a longer reach telephoto to round out the system. Oh, I should mention I did (with this forums help) obtain a 105 micro....make any sense?

BackdoorArts

I think I would word this as correctable distortion and non correctable,, don't think there are too many cases where I would cause distortion good...

Good & Bad, as I quoted them, were meant to be taken as variable and highly subjective terms. Perhaps the better synonyms would be "Wanted/Unwanted" or even "Usable/Unusable"? Uncorrectable distortion may be precisely what I love about a particular lens, and it may be precisely what keeps you from it. Or it could even be that that the distortion I love about using a lens in one instance may be what drives me crazy about it in another. Sometimes - even most times - you want to see the reality found in your image. But there are those times when "correcting" it removes its charm, and the art.