Don's Old Daily Dabblings

Re: Don's Daily Dabblings

To pretty to stay in. Figured out how to shoot without to much pain.

D5100_00656.jpg

D5100_00657.jpg
D5100_00692.jpg
D5100_00699.jpg
D5100_00775.jpg

Last edited:

eurotrash

I can't see the EXIF data on some of those shots. What lens did you use for the bald eagle? Was that a 55-200? Great shots at the zoo!

I can't see the EXIF data on some of those shots. What lens did you use for the bald eagle? Was that a 55-200? Great shots at the zoo!

55-200

[Image]
Make = NIKON CORPORATION
Model = NIKON D5100
Date Time = 2013-02-21 11:44:45

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/180"
F Number = F5.3
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Date Time Original = 2013-02-21 11:44:45
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F5.46
Metering Mode = CenterWeightedAverage
Focal Length = 175mm
User Comment = (C) Don Kuykendall
Exif Image Width = 4928
Exif Image Height = 3264
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio = 1x
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 262mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Gain Control = Low gain up
Contrast = Normal
Saturation = Normal
Sharpness = Hard
Subject Distance Range = unknown
Gamma = 2.2
ISO Speed Used = 400
Quality = FINE
White Balance = AUTO
Focus Mode = AF-S

ISO Speed Requested = 500

Did not shoot today with doctor visit and a nasty shot in the shoulder joint. Did find some time to clean up my files a bit and ran across these shots.

In 2011 a storm ripped through six states killing 200 people, with the rate expect to rise. Hardest hit was Alabama with 131, 32 in Mississippi, 15 in Tennessee, 13 in Georgia, eight in Virginia and one in Kentucky. In Tuscaloosa, a mile-wide tornado killed 15 people and injured hundreds, tossing boats from a store into an apartment complex, ripping holes in rooftops, and destroying a swath of retail establishments along a busy street.
Hundreds of buildings and homes were leveled by the tornado, and Wednesday night there were fears more victims could be buried beneath the rubble.

I am from Tuscaloosa and my Mom, Sister and Son all live there. My son had just gotten out of the Army and had started at the University of Alabama. He was on the phone with us telling us that he could see the tornado heading in his direction. It did turn before it got to him. He headed toward the affected area with his Army med kit and found and gave first aid to a number of wounded and found several that he was to late to help.

I went a few days later and shot from a moving car. Here are a couple of the shots

Tuscaloosa flag.jpg

tuscaloosa.jpg

Blame The Backdoor Hippie for this. Had to try Color Efex Pro 4.

Here is a photo I posted a few days ago and then my first attempt at using Color Efex Pro 4 to make it a little better. Lots of work to go to learn how to get the most out of it.

D5100_00656.jpg

D5100_00656efex.jpg
Added negative control points to the face. Lets see if this is better.
D5100_00656-2.jpg

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor

I like the person on the first photo and I like the background on the enhanced photo.

BackdoorArts

Don't blame me!! There are some phenomenal tutorials on the Nik site. The key to these tools are not just what it adds but the way in which you can add and subtract the filters. Control Points are the key to using this powerful piece of software. While I like what it does in adding definition to a lot of areas, it negatively impacts the person's face. Stick a negative control point on there, size it for her face and back the effect off. Hit ctrl-D (command-D on a Mac) and drag it over to her hands and resize to cover them. Done!!

One other caveat, I love how I can link in the Nik tools as Smart Objects in Photoshop so I can go back the next morning and pick up right where I left off when I wake up and ask myself, "What were you thinking with that edit?!" That said, the resulting TIFF or PSD file is about 3-4x the size of the TIFF file the software gives you if you invoke it directly from Lightroom. Couple that with the fact that I went from a D7000 to the larger files of a D600 in November and a D800 this month and it's easy to see why I discovered 500GB drive on my Mac was suddenly 85% full.

Last edited:

I like the person on the first photo and I like the background on the enhanced photo.

I agree totally. I couldn't sleep so I got up and was playing on the computer again. The face is a problem. I will have to go through and learn the program in depth. This was about 10 minutes after installing the program. I did a faceless shot and I was blown away with how good it looked. Thanks.

I have learned something today and it is only 7am..I can quit now.

TedG954

Same wife or different?

Not the same one, that's for sure. Thankfully, the Lemon Law was in effect. :nightmare:

Besides, isn't that the definition of insane......... doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result? I ain't that crazy. :distant:

Last edited:

Not the same one, that's for sure. Thankfully, the Lemon Law was in effect. :nightmare:

Besides, isn't that the definition of insane......... doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result? I ain't that crazy. :distant:

My second wife also. Got it right the second time.

The way I figure it..... I'll get married two more times.

Since I double the tenure with each marriage, the next will last 20 years, and I'll die with the 4th one.

Don't you just love science! :p

So I guess your "Besides, isn't that the definition of insane......... doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result? I ain't that crazy" Is not going to be in affect anymore?