Did I make a mistake??

carguy

Great responses here, ignore her 'professional' advice.

$$ says if you showed her a set of images she could not tell what camera took them ;)

Steve B

Tell her to do some research on John Isaac. He shot with a 4/3 sensor (2x crop) for much of his career. I am sure he is more of a pro than she can ever hope to be.

Moab Man

[MENTION=2332]Patrick Molloy[/MENTION] You nailed it on the head, why would a student have pro equipment? For me, it really brings into question the knowledge of the "pro." As a pro, I would expect them to demonstrate the fact it's not the equipment but the person behind the camera.

Again, kudos to pointing out the obvious that everyone kind of missed.

RON_RIP

You become a pro when you can regularly sell your images. The camera you have means nothing at that point. You need to get out there and start shooting.

Ron Carlson

Scientifically speaking, a full frame camera allows more light in, hence a better quality picture. But after you throw in higher megapixels, better glass, and proper camera settings, good lighting, just about any camera gives you a good pic. I'm no expert mind you but they do have an advantage in low light situations. It has been my experience, the larger the sensor, the less grain. Again, throw in post production, noise reduction, active D lighting, etc, etc, the rules of the game change again. A great photographer can take a lousy picture and a lousy photographer can get lucky and take a great picture. Bottom line is, knowledge of principles of photography and your equipment make the difference in getting lousy or great pics!!!

kevy73

Just turn around and tell her she isn't a pro unless she has a D4....

Some people are just camera snobs. I don't own a D4 because it means I can gloat, I own a D4 because that is the camera that performs for me how I need it to. Same with your D7100, it is an awesome camera, and I would actually suggest it is just as 'pro' as her FX entry level camera.

Go out and shoot with your camera, learn how it works and you will see it doesn't matter what gear you have, it is how you use it.

No. You didn't make a mistake.

aroy

Well that makes me a pro too. For ten years I sold pictures taken with my Cell Phone! (Well not the images per say, but voluminous site and status reports with the images). I have taken more than 100,000 images for my reports.

As the saying goes, the camera is but a tool. A sharp tool cuts the effortlessly, a blunt tool can hurt you. Use what ever you have and sharpen your skills. If the images are good, they will sell even if they are from the cell phone. If they are bad, the best and most expensive cameras will not help you.

There is a school of thought that beginners should start in manual mode, so that they can understand light and how it impacts the photographs. Though I do not deny the utility of this thought, a lot of it is automated by the camera, so as long as you understand the basics, you can get along. As in every profession, getting along and shining are two different things. Better camera can increase the chances of technically better images, but a camera can never replace your insight and point of view. That is why most of great images are unique, they are the result of individual thought.

Sishac

A good photographer doesn't need a fancy camera....put a pro with a D100 against a novice with a D800 and I bet the pro comes out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sishac

I agree, but people need to realize that you don't need the best of everything to start...develop an eye and a style and go from there. It's not like the OP bought a point and shoot and was setting out to shoot sports or a wedding. A good photograph is mostly due to the photographer behind the lens, not the camera.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I agree, but people need to realize that you don't need the best of everything to start...develop an eye and a style and go from there. It's not like the OP bought a point and shoot and was setting out to shoot sports or a wedding. A good photograph is mostly due to the photographer behind the lens, not the camera.

and....the one invariable.....you have to be in the right place at the right time! Critical on that....that one is hard to teach....

Sishac

Very true....but the bottom line is that the OP didn't make a mistake buying DX instead of FX...it's a choice....in fact both the d610 and the D7100 will be old news in a few years and people will have moved on to the next best thing....if they have learned their craft well, the camera simply isn't the most important decision they have to make.