Dawg Pics' New Adventures of the D500 (and maybe the D300)

Dawg Pics

when you do set up some nice perches about 2-3' away take your pics on there they will usually land on them before going to the feeder :D

Thanks for that advice. I noticed they tend to go in the tree first. I am about to start looking for some better looking perches and such. The feeders I have don't exactly make for pretty images. :shame:

Dawg Pics

Larger crop of same image.

Cardinal2 N500_3156.jpg

Kevin H

Thanks for that advice. I noticed they tend to go in the tree first. I am about to start looking for some better looking perches and such. The feeders I have don't exactly make for pretty images. :shame:

Just use something natural :D broken branches work awesome

Dawg Pics

Overcoming fears of increasing ISO.

Crooked bird bath kinda looks like a see-saw.

#5 Blue Jays
BlueJays N500_3082.jpg

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
When yo do put some branches out for perches, consider where the light will be the best, and where you can best place yourself to shoot. I get more songbird pictures in 15 minutes than a four hour hike most other places. Limited species, but still a lot of fun.

Dawg Pics

When yo do put some branches out for perches, consider where the light will be the best, and where you can best place yourself to shoot. I get more songbird pictures in 15 minutes than a four hour hike most other places. Limited species, but still a lot of fun.

Thanks for the advice.
I need to put a feeder or 2 elsewhere in the yard as well, maybe even in the front yard. The shooting conditions like it is now aren't even close to ideal.
I love the backyard birds. Thrilled to find 2 new ones (Warbler and Downy Woodpecker) are starting to frequent the feeders. The Red-Bellied Woodpecker is starting to become a regular as well.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

She had some really good light just in the eye area, but by the time I got the camera, it went away. Go figure.

Tallulah N500_3211.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

Difficult to tell, but I think this is an American Crow. I try to pay attention to the noises they make when flying off.

#6 American Crows
American Crow N500_3348.jpg

#7 Dark Eyed Junco

Dark Eyed Junco N500_3315.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

Practice with flash. If I don't use it now and then I will lose it.
Remembered to pull out the white card. Thanks [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] for that information last year.

Payton N500_3418.jpg

Dawg Pics

Mocking bird in black and white. NIK Silver Efex Pro 2
Birdie was in the shade.

#8 Mocking Bird
Mockingbird N500_3458.jpg

Wet Blue Jay
BlueJay N500_3119.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

#9 Mourning Dove (I think)

Why high ISO? I don't remember.

I kinda like this image even though it has lots of noise. I find it difficult to capture the colors on these doves, and this image shows some of the nice color.
Keeping track of the birds in the yard, so this counts for one of the doves that drop in.
My unofficial list of birds that I have seen in my neighborhood has 26 species, which includes a Mississippi Kite and a small Barred Owl that I don't expect to see again.

Dove N500_3074.jpg

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

So, I tripped on my back patio, skinned both knees and the corner of my D500. My left knee caught to worst of it with missing skin and a huge bruise forming. \The damage to the camera is cosmetic, so I am glad that I have a camera this well built.

I am the biggest clutz in the world. When I was a teenager, I didn't have my Minolta attached properly to my strap, and my Dad never forgave me for wrecking that camera. My initial response when I fell was, "Oh crap, what did I just do to the D500?" My second response was, "I can never tell my Dad I scratched this camera." He is looking down on me right now, gritting his teeth. :shame:

:hopelessness:
8EE355F8-22E1-4A73-9E3D-59EB0A9E6553.jpg