D810 refurbished (in hand, concerns)

unity

The only misrepresentation here is from Nikon itself, not the seller.

My choice are:

return and get another refurb: Will it look better but have a high shutter count? Then what.

return and wait for another new 810 deal: Will inventory hold up with a new model coming out?

send to Nikon and wait weeks for who knows what?

nickt

I don't think any of us have ever seen a beat up factory refurb. They always look brand new. I think we have come to assume all refurbs are early returns. And Nikon always seems to repair people's cameras even if they have to wait forever for parts. I have not heard of them quickly swapping out cameras with a refurb off the shelf. So I wonder how your high mileage body got in the refurb stream.
I don't have any particular grudge against Buydig, but I think they are also known as Beach Camera and they have been on my s-list for so long, I honestly can't remember why.

RocketCowboy

The only misrepresentation here is from Nikon itself, not the seller.

My choice are:

return and get another refurb: Will it look better but have a high shutter count? Then what.

You gotta ask yourself...if the camera has no shutter use, how did it get that beat up? The shutter count being reported isn't correct. You've been sold a bill of goods, and the seller is hoping to wait you out so that they don't have to get you what you paid for. Just my opinion, but I do agree with the reasoning that your best bet is to involve the credit card company and stop payment until things are made right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

This purchase i guess was going to be your pride and joy,well it isn't cut your losses and return it, its already been said Nikon refurbs normally look like new, something is wrong send it back and make it their problem not yours.

Horoscope Fish

Just my two-cents: Shutter-count, shmutter-count; that's one beat-up looking D810. I personally wouldn't settle for it and would request a full-refund from the vendor.

I'd then take that money and shop elsewhere.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
The fact that the body is worn as well as having problems uploading images to get a shutter count, it does sound like someone played around with the software in the body. You shouldn't get that many errors when trying to upload an image for a shutter count. I'd send it back and get a full refund. How long have you had it? If you paid by credit card, you can dispute the charges.

Danno

I have to say I bought a Nikon referb and it looked brand new. I would push for a refund or replacement. That looks wore out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ironwood

Its way past the 1st of April. Get your money back whatever way you can.
That camera should have been sold as second hand in very used condition with a low price to match. Resetting the shutter count doesnt make it a new camera.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. That sucks. I'll just pile on and say, as others have, that nobody I know or have talked to has ever seen a Factory Refurb that looked anything other than mint condition. This smells very fishy to me, and I would simply send the camera back and get a full refund.

A thought about what may have happened, since similar things have happened at Amazon. Could be that someone ordered the refurb from BuyDig, put an old, worn D810 in the box with the shutter count reset by some software hack, then sent it back to BuyDig for a refund. Could be the person processing the refund didn't check the camera when it came back to the store.

Anyway, no matter. My advice is that this is the store's problem, not your's. DO NOT accept this camera and get your money back.

There are lots of D810s in perfect shape out there, you will find your's and you can have a happy photographic life together. :)

unity

Like it says on the screen " UPLOAD JPEG (SMALL)" and I see that you were trying to upload a NEF file... I think this could be why it failed.

I did. Tried with my D7000 also. Same issue. Might be a Mac thing? Not sure. No probs with the other sites.

unity

I don't think it was a return. The box is came is identical in every way to the others I have seen, which box with Nikon stickers. One large in red print. A few UPCs, etc. And the tape was never removed, re-applied, etc. Inside the bubble wrap on the camera was so well done I thought it was a custom pouch.

Nikon said it was factory refurbished in April. No way this amount of where in this many months. And with it not looking like a return, I think Nikon messed up somehow. Maybe some pissed, now former, employee. I don't know.

But it went out today. No issues with the seller, they took it back. No restocking fee and they paid shipping. They should have it Monday and my refund will be by Friday.

nickt

That sure sounds like a Nikon refurb package. I guess we will never hear how that could have happened. Glad the seller took care of it.

By the way, I had trouble last night with all of those shutter count sites, none would take my jpg. I don't know if a lightroom setting changed or what. I didn't look into it, I just uploaded a nef.

unity

Just an update. I sent it out late Thursday, they reviewed it Monday saying it would take 2 to 4 days for a refund. I did not even notice they issued a refund the same day until I looked at my PayPal just now. I used a debit card via PayPal to purchase for some added protection and they know my address was confirmed. But nothing has been refunded to my bank as I expected. But PayPal does show the refund pending, is an ACH bank refund, hence the 2 to 4 days.

So no issues at all with the return. Full refund, they paid shipping. In the end, good recovery. Now I just need to go buy a NEW one...