D810 refurbished (in hand, concerns)

unity

Image number is NOT what you're looking for. Take a picture, and upload the picture to one of the web sites listed above... I think when you see what the shutter count is, you're going to be shocked.

I only see one site listed in this thread. Any other suggestions? This is the one I used:

https://www.camerashuttercount.com

RocketCowboy

I tried that site in both Safari and FireFox. Took a small JPEG for it. Fails every time.

Can you post the jpg image you are trying to submit here, to verify that EXIF data is intact?

I agree, there are several red flags here. BuyDig only offering you a $65.00 return credit is first and foremost. Nikon factory refurbs carry a warranty from Nikon, so that would appear to validate to me that this is truly not a factory refurb as marketed. I would also double check the ad/listing that you purchased from, and save that listing for later in case it's needed to establish that the product was misrepresented or you were bait and switched. The price you paid was good, but does not coincide with Nikon refurb pricing. The worn parts are clearly a sign that this unit was NOT Nikon refurbed, regardless of the seller's claims.

unity

Actually he said that I would probably not want the credit and to contact Nikon USA and they do not refurbish the cameras. And Nikon themselves said it was factory refurbished in April. The only way that someone could have gone wrong with BuyDig is if someone bought it from them, returned it. And either before or after wiped it clean, full factory reset and packaged it perfectly with new accessories/battery.

Also BuyDig is listed as a reseller on Nikon's site.

Last edited:

unity

Im going with what I originally said the count was. It was zero plus what I added. Just to be sure, I took another pic. #20. Then I fired up live view a bunch of times. Then took a pic and the count site said #30. But I had not taken 10 pics in between. So its really shutter actuations. Then I also took the last pic into Preview, same thing. Says 30.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 4.45.57 PM.png

Blade Canyon

Can you provide any additional help of where we might find Shutter Clicks? I did quite an extensive search in my CS6 to no avail. Perhaps it's only in the CC versions?

In the CS5 that is here on my work PC, this works: Open "File Info", and find the Advanced tab. You might have to click the down arrow on the top row of the File Info box to display the Advanced Tab. Then open "Schema" and you will find "aux:ImageNumber ####". Don says that is not the same thing, but other online resources says it is. I will test that tomorrow.

I have PS CC at home, and believe the language is more like "Shutter Count" in the EXIF. I will check it again when I get home tonight.

unity

Yeah, let me know. Everything I have read says thats the shutter count too. The actual file name, of course, was sequential when I did my test above.

nickt

I just looked this up, so I'll pass it along. To get shutter count in Photoshop CC:

go to: file - file info - raw data, then type 'imagenumber' into the search bar.

unity

Thats what I read too, in numerous places now. But Don says otherwise. If I had Windows, I would installed the Opanda exif software. But the sites, PS, Preview and say my shutter count started at zero until I started shooting.

nickt

Thats what I read too, in numerous places now. But Don says otherwise. If I had Windows, I would installed the Opanda exif software. But the sites, PS, Preview and say my shutter count started at zero until I started shooting.
That's it. Calling it 'imagenumber' is misleading terminology for sure. I just uploaded a file to one of those sites and my shutter count is the same as what Photoshop reports as imagenumber. It does not match my file number of course. Its a few hundred higher, so that makes sense.

In the CS5 that is here on my work PC, this works: Open "File Info", and find the Advanced tab. You might have to click the down arrow on the top row of the File Info box to display the Advanced Tab. Then open "Schema" and you will find "aux:ImageNumber ####". Don says that is not the same thing, but other online resources says it is. I will test that tomorrow.

I have PS CC at home, and believe the language is more like "Shutter Count" in the EXIF. I will check it again when I get home tonight.

Yeah, let me know. Everything I have read says thats the shutter count too. The actual file name, of course, was sequential when I did my test above.

File name is what I was talking about. That resets at 9,999

unity

Don, do you get this "fake path" bit when you use the site? I just tried with an NEF, same "FAIL" issue. It does seem like it uploaded the NEF as it took a while after clicking submit.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.28.38 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.30.54 PM.jpg

unity

Well we all know about file name, it was image number that you said was not in fact shutter actuations. Hence the confusion. Image number has to be clicks as my 7000 had 61,945 as "imagenumber". And the D810 now has 30. So the shutter was replaced it seems.

I will see what Nikon has to offer. I expect nothing really. Then I will return and decide what I will do. Bummer. Wanted to shoot lighting tonight with it.

Well we all know about file name, it was image number that you said was not in fact shutter actuations. Hence the confusion. Image number has to be clicks as my 7000 had 61,945 as "imagenumber". And the D810 now has 30. So the shutter was replaced it seems.

I will see what Nikon has to offer. I expect nothing really. Then I will return and decide what I will do. Bummer. Wanted to shoot lighting tonight with it.

I had my shutter replaced in my D750 under warranty and they did not reset the count back to 0. Shutter count shows more that wear on the shutter.

unity

I had my shutter replaced in my D750 under warranty and they did not reset the count back to 0. Shutter count shows more that wear on the shutter.

Per Nikon, they should have. I you call they will have you send it in and will reset it. But it seems, again, like a 50/50 thing if they do or not. Just as many say they do as say they don't. I do wish there was "body actuations" and "shutter actuations" stored. Would make a lot more sense.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Someone took an 810 body, bought a cheap (ie 3300) and installed the guts in the old body. Probably not possible, but it did come to mind. Ha!!

I agree, something just doesn't gel in all of this. I would send it back.

Whiskeyman

If I were you, I'd contact the seller and get a return authorization and contact my credit card company to discuss withholding payment due to misrepresentation of the purchased item.

In no way would I consider that a refurbished camera. I consider it, from the photos published here, to be a well-worn used camera. It may have had some repair work done to it, but was it by a an authorized Nikon repair shop? I don't think any of those exist any more, and do believe that all Nikon authorized repairs have to be done by Nikon. Just because a store is an authorized Nikon vendor, it doesn't mean that they can repair or refurbish a Nikon camera. My B&M store of choice for photography, still employs the technician who was once a Nikon trained repairman, as well as a Canon authorized repairman, but he won't talk about repairing either of those companies' products if they are still under warranty; for a good reason.

Goo luck resolving this!

WM