D7000 with Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S lens High ISO

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The High School football game just started. I brought my D7000 with the Nikon 300mm f4 AFS lens with me using a monopod. Since the football field was pretty dark, I think my set-up was just being pushed to its limits. I'm not happy with my shots. A D3s or D4 with a f2.8 lens will be a more suitable I think.

1/160, f4, ISO 6400. Heavy noise reduction software (Topaz Labs) was used to make them look decent. Feedbacks are always welcome and appreciated.

KHS vs Zama 075 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

KHS vs Zama 059 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

KHS vs Zama 088 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

KHS vs Zama 090 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Rick M

I think they look great considering the ISO and available light. Would you have had enough reach with the 2.8 (300 vs. 450)?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think they look great considering the ISO and available light. Would you have had enough reach with the 2.8 (300 vs. 450)?

Thanks Rick. I was sitting at the bleachers and the 70-200mm f2.8 might have worked on some shots depending on the location of the players. A faster lens would definitely help lower the ISO. Faster actions will require at least 1/320 and that is just going to punish the D7000 or even the D800 with that lighting condition.

One thing that I like about the Nikon NEF files is that they are much easier to work with.

Krs_2007

They look great Glen, do you have a before shot. Been thinking about this lens and curious about how much post processing you had to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whiskeyman

Glenn,

Considering what lighting you're likely working with, these photos are pretty darn good. I'd be proud of them. However, if you need testimony that to continue to do this, that you absolutely must have a f2.8 lens, I could provide it.;)

Is there any chance that you could get permission to get to field level? I bet that if you're willing to provide images to the school for posting on their web page and for presentations, they'll give you access. Show them what you've done and how it could be better if you had sideline access. I'd put you on the sidelines.

Another item you might look into is to see if the school needs a photography mentor for the yearbook staff. You and your shared insight would be very valuable to students learning photography.

WM

gqtuazon

Gear Head
They look great Glen, do you have a before shot. Been thinking about this lens and curious about how much post processing you had to do.

Thanks Kevin. Here are some jpg images that were not edited other than resize and the water mark for comparison.

Just double click on the image for larger view.

KHS vs Zama 075 a.jpgKHS vs Zama 005.jpgKHS vs Zama 022.jpg

Last edited:

Bill16

I agree with WM! If they saw your photos they would likely beg you to come down off the bleachers to take your photos and share them with them! Lol :D

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn,

Considering what lighting you're likely working with, these photos are pretty darn good. I'd be proud of them. However, if you need testimony that to continue to do this, that you absolutely must have a f2.8 lens, I could provide it.;)

Is there any chance that you could get permission to get to field level? I bet that if you're willing to provide images to the school for posting on their web page and for presentations, they'll give you access. Show them what you've done and how it could be better if you had sideline access. I'd put you on the sidelines.

Another item you might look into is to see if the school needs a photography mentor for the yearbook staff. You and your shared insight would be very valuable to students learning photography.
WM

For the most part, the HS games are not so strict. I usually wear a red shirt and just blend in with the staff. They usually don't question me especially if I use a long lens. They think that I am part of the media or local news paper. LOL!

The school has some volunteers that takes pictures during the game. I just don't know the quality of their images.KHS vs Zama 118.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

The High School football game just started. I brought my D7000 with the Nikon 300mm f4 AFS lens with me using a monopod. Since the football field was pretty dark, I think my set-up was just being pushed to its limits. I'm not happy with my shots. A D3s or D4 with a f2.8 lens will be a more suitable I think.

1/160, f4, ISO 6400. Heavy noise reduction software (Topaz Labs) was used to make them look decent. Feedbacks are always welcome and appreciated.

KHS vs Zama 075 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

KHS vs Zama 059 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

KHS vs Zama 088 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

KHS vs Zama 090 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Glenn, I think they look really good... I have had similar circumstances with night baseball where I am in the stands.. 55-300 and high ISO. I saw plenty of noise, then when I quit pixel peeping and just looked at the finish image for what it conveyed... I thought they looked fairly decent! :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn, I think they look really good... I have had similar circumstances with night baseball where I am in the stands.. 55-300 and high ISO. I saw plenty of noise, then when I quit pixel peeping and just looked at the finish image for what it conveyed... I thought they looked fairly decent! :)

Thanks Pat. I guess I am just a little bit over critical. I wish they could play during daylight so that we don't have to resort to higher ISO levels.

Krs_2007

Well those look good to me as we'll, considering the circumstances which usually kicks my but and have already put my camera up when it gets that dark.

I would imagine the assistants are with the photography club, which happens to have some nice equipment. Yes I am referring to the camera equipment Roy.

Great job all around Glen. I hope with knowledge I have picked up here and recent equipment I should do better this football season. It would be easier and cheaper on me if they played during the daylight but I do enjoy the challenge.

mauckcg

The shots are fantastic. Even the unedited shots look great. The timing on the second shot is perfect. Right as the ball carrier gets hit and their collective momentum kinda zeroes out for that split second.

On a side note, the grain in the second set of images helps the Kinnick Receiver stand out from the background even more. Interesting effect.

singlerosa_RIP

I have no experience with Topaz (only LR4 and CS6), but I do have a 7000 and have used it with a 80-200 2.8 and 70 -200 28 VRII at high ISOs and in the daytime to shoot high school football, mostly at 1/1000 - 1/1500 sec (thank you Mr sunlight!). I've subsequently added a D600 for low light situations. I agree that you'll need more than 1/160 to shoot action, so something's gotta give. I hear the 300mm 2.9 VR is a very nice lens. Unfortunately, it's $6K. As others have said, maybe you can get closer and use a 70-200.

Whiskeyman

Glenn,

I don't know who number 22 is, but he wants a big print of the last football player photo posted. His parents want a slew of them!! Even I want one of them!

That is a killer photo!!!!

WM

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The shots are fantastic. Even the unedited shots look great. The timing on the second shot is perfect. Right as the ball carrier gets hit and their collective momentum kinda zeroes out for that split second.

On a side note, the grain in the second set of images helps the Kinnick Receiver stand out from the background even more. Interesting effect.

Glenn,

I don't know who number 22 is, but he wants a big print of the last football player photo posted. His parents want a slew of them!! Even I want one of them!

That is a killer photo!!!!

WM

Thanks guys. I am honored. :eek: I thought they were junk to my eye but apparently they are much better than what I have thought.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have no experience with Topaz (only LR4 and CS6), but I do have a 7000 and have used it with a 80-200 2.8 and 70 -200 28 VRII at high ISOs and in the daytime to shoot high school football, mostly at 1/1000 - 1/1500 sec (thank you Mr sunlight!). I've subsequently added a D600 for low light situations. I agree that you'll need more than 1/160 to shoot action, so something's gotta give. I hear the 300mm 2.9 VR is a very nice lens. Unfortunately, it's $6K. As others have said, maybe you can get closer and use a 70-200.

I like using Topaz for noise reduction. It is integrated with my Adobe CS5.

I'm not trying to make money out of this games but I do it as a hobby, to gain experience and it's simply fun.

mauckcg

Thanks guys. I am honored. :eek: I thought they were junk to my eye but apparently they are much better than what I have thought.
The funny thing I have noticed about sports photography, players and fans can give you the best critique of the action captured.