D7000 Focus issues

Shewashere

You're welcome utcarsons. My name is James (as per my signature) what is yours?

For your information we have a very large and active membership with a wide variety of interests that have contributed to this site's growth. They have been happy to interact with me and I with them.

However I do look forward to seeing more of you in other parts of our forum. If I do then I'll take you off the list above. Otherwise if the shoe fits....

Perhaps you could see it from my perspective before spouting off. In the future - when joining other forums - you might want to introduce yourself properly FIRST before swooping in and adding to complaints. Since you are a member of so many other forums you should have known that part of forum etiquette.

Welcome aboard. :)

I'm actually not really sure how I am intended to respond. I have never been treated like this 30 minutes of registering. I didn't come to the forum to create an issue. I found the thread via a google search, was relieved to finally read of an unusual problem I was having (not back focus), and felt compelled to say thanks to people sharing their experience and added my experience to see if anyone had advice.

I don't feel like it's spouting off to defend myself for not managing to properly introduce myself, create a signature, and make more than 5 posts all in less than 30 minutes from my registration on the forum. I was, in all honesty, not intending to start something. There were over 10 pages existing of commentary on the problem. Perhaps I was just the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak?

I have added my signature, and when I can figure out how to add my camera on the side I will, as well as an avatar, and perhaps an introduction post.

Thanks for the welcome.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there Jodie! I'm happy to consider you an exception to the rule! If you are on this site to contribute and need help with anything we're here to assist!

As I said, I'm happy to move on and sincerely welcome you to the forum! I think a critical mass of negativity had been reached in this thread and you may have been - as you say - the straw the broke the proverbial camel's back! LOL! I certainly never want to push away someone who has good intentions and is genuinely looking for assistance, etc. I'm happy to see you've posted a reasonable response and added a signature, etc.

I'm going to hit the reset button and start over with you. Hope you'll do the same with me! (I'm really a teddy bear of a person - well at least my 6 yr. old daughter says so! :))

Nice to meet you Jodie.

PS. I've taken you off "the list" :)

Last edited:

Shewashere

Hi there Jodie! I'm happy to consider you an exception to the rule! If you are on this site to contribute and need help with anything we're here to assist!

As I said, I'm happy to move on and sincerely welcome you to the forum! I think a critical mass of negativity had been reached in this thread and you may have been - as you say - the straw the broke the proverbial camel's back! LOL! I certainly never want to push away someone who has good intentions and is genuinely looking for assistance, etc. I'm happy to see you've posted a reasonable response and added a signature, etc.

I'm going to hit the reset button and start over with you. Hope you'll do the same with me! (I'm really a teddy bear of a person - well at least my 6 yr. old daughter says so! :))

Nice to meet you Jodie.

PS. I've taken you off "the list" :)

:cool: Thanks! I'm actually very excited to find the forum. I had previously tried another Nikon-specific forum only to find out later that I had to buy a membership... DOH! I look forward to browsing around more.

Falcon1

Hi James, I didn't have much time to fill in my profile but I will do that. My name is Stefan and I come from Iceland, I was one of the first to get D7k in Iceland. Probably won't do that mistake again, that is to be one of the first.

I need to go over my photographs I made soon after I got the camera because I don't think it was this right from the start but has rather become worse and worse. However, I will need to analyse that further.

What has make me quite angry is how these issues seem to be handled by Nikon (not at all) or other people which were more lucky than us who got bad copies. People who got good copy just don't believe the problems or simple write them off as user error.

It took me weeks to accept that my copy was bad, probably I should have quit testing after few days but due to the discussions online I kept going testing. Which were obviously waste of time!

I will post photographs here - thankfully I didn't need to throw all photos taken by D7k but the throw away are probably around 50-60% due to the issues.

If my D7k will come back repaired then you will maybe see new photos... but I will probably be without next 3 weeks because of these problems.

Like I have said, D7k can deliver super-sharp photographs when it works properly. So it is not all complaining from me. :)

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Stephan. Thank you for providing us with a bit more background about yourself and your situation. I certainly hope your D7000 comes back in proper working order. By all means, please give us an update when you get your camera back. Fingers crossed! :)

ccoulson

Hey Guys!!!

I am happy everyone is here, and talking about this camera. Good and bad.

I can speak from experience, that this problem has been soooooo frustrating, but I can also say that now that my camera is fixed, its such a rush to use it and cant wait to get home and see the results. I think its important for people with these issues to talk about it to learn how to go about getting it fixed and to vent their frustrations/... I mean lets face it, its an expensive camera (for me anyways) and you expect for your equipment to function properly no matter what you pay for it...... However, I think its important for folks to help each other and learn from each other because even when I got my camera back I had SOOOO much to learn, it was a different camera, and it is complex and not the easiest to manipulate at first...

This site has been so good to me, everyone has been so helpful, and have helped me solve so many of the issues that were user issues!! So lets all be friends and enjoy our cameras!!!!

Courtnie

nikonkelly

I am new to the forum, and just getting my feet wet trying to find my way around here. I have been shooting a DSLR since April of 2005, and average about 25,000/yr. President of 2 photo clubs, and moderate/own several yahoo Nikon groups.

I replaced my D200 on November 17th, 2010 with a D7000. It seemed like a logical move getting more resolution, low light capability, but sacrificing some of the pro features of the D200. My first shoot with the D7000 was about 1000 images of Sand Hill Cranes. The images were great, high ISO was what I had hoped for and them some... however, by the first week of December, I was finding that the camera was back focusing in the worst way. When I was only 5 feet from my subject, the focus point was 2 feet behind my subject when using the 35-70 F2.8 AF-D.... upon further looking all of my lenses reflected some degree of back focus. At first, as much as I knew that it was a camera issue, I tried to blame it on user error, and to some extent, I had some of the settings messed up so that I was not consistently getting bad focus, but much of the time.

Took a 12 day trip to Disney World, and had a ton of back focused images, especially at f2.8 as one would expect with an issue of this sort. Upon returning home, I had the camera cleaned at a Photo show in Detroit, and asked about back focus issues with The D7000. The Nikon repairman indicated that they had very few issues with the D7000's and this was not a known issue, however He suggested that I have the camera checked to see if it was properly aligned. Because the camera was so new, they had not yet had the Nikon "GOD BODIES" in yet and this took several weeks to get them. Once they had their equipment calibrated, they called me, I took my camera down and about 45 minutes later I had a perfectly focusing D7000. Today, I find that the focus is very exact and I am very happy.

Very few people that I have spoken with in person or on the many different forums, have indicated any problems with the D7000, In fact, I only personally know of 2 people who have had actual issues with the D7000 out of over 225 D7000 users. That is less than 1% which is pretty normal for problems. This does not mean that there are not problems out there, but they are not as wide spread as some would have us believe, and I know that these issues exist... I was one of them.

I had my camera repaired at an authorized Nikon repair place in Wyandotte Michigan... I don't work for them, but they have done all of my repair work since 1970... yes I was only 13 years old at that time, but I have been very happy with their work over the years. It helps that they are only about an hour and a half away from where I live so I can call them up, take the camera to them and wait for it, and that too keeps me coming back.

For anyone having issues, I think that you owe it to yourself and your camera to have it repaired... if it is out of warrantee, the price for mine would have been $180. which is not too bad, but since it was not yet a year old it was No Charge. Just thought that there needed to be some balance to this thread... are there some issues, yes a few, but not many, and if you send the camera in to be fixed, most of the time they will get it the first time... although some may have to do it twice... just like you need to do with your car when you have it fixed... most of the time they get it right the first time, but not always, and that does not mean that it is a bad car or a bad camera, just that the technician did not get it right the first time.

NikonKelly
Rev. Kelly Todd's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Binder

Hi All, Al here.

I agree with some folks here that Nikon (specifically Toronto) is handling this very poorly. I've had the D70s and D90 and never had any issues with focussing issues until the D7000, and no it's not user error at all.

My 18-200 lens I was able to AF-Tuning it to -7 and it seems to be not bad. However I recently got a 17-55 and it's been hit and miss. I got a lot of out of focus shots when shooting my 11 month on a swing last weekend (finally some good weather). It was quite disappointing because they would have been amazing shots if they were in focus. I've tried AF-Tuning it but it's on and off depending on the lighting.

Nikon does not want to fix my camera at all and says it's working fine through their SW but they won't look at the shots that they took to determine if it's in focus or not.

DW_

Mansurvos has an excellent review on the D7000. I think it will help many of those new to the D7000, especially if they're considering moving to the D800 with 2x the resolution. The full review can be read HERE.

"I know that some of the Nikon D7000 owners have complained about autofocus accuracy and reported having back/front focus issues. I also know that many of the visitors that read this review will focus on this part of the review more than any other, mostly due to the number of complaints they have seen on various online forums. Let me start off by saying that the Nikon D7000 does NOT have a backfocus problem. Before some of the readers who were directly impacted by a D7000 backfocus problem start throwing tomatoes my way, let me first explain this in more detail. There are many variables that affect autofocus accuracy and a number of reasons why images from the D7000 might appear softer compared to older generation cameras. Many photographers who just got the D7000 as their first DSLR or moved from an entry-level DSLR like D40 to a D7000 simply do not have a solid understanding of how to use different focusing modes to obtain accurate focus. Without doing much reading and learning how to use the different AF modes on the camera, they just take pictures hand-held, expecting the D7000 to produce tack-sharp images. There are tons of photographs of blurry dogs and cats on the Internet photographed in Single Servo (AF-S) mode while they are in motion, with photographers blaming the equipment for out of focus images. In other cases, you hear some photographers say stuff like “my Nikon D40 was much sharper and I never had focus problems with any of my lenses on it”. Wait a second. Before, they were viewing a 6 MP image at 100% on their computer screens and now they are viewing a 16 MP image at 100% and are expecting both to look equally sharp? Of course they are! But they do not seem to understand the following:
  1. High resolution sensors need better lenses that can resolve more detail. Do not expect your old crappy DX kit lens to give you super sharp images on the D7000.
  2. Camera shake is more noticeable on high resolution sensors when images are viewed at 100%.
  3. Even slight autofocus errors are quite visible on high resolution sensors.
So, going back to viewing a 6 MP image versus a 16 MP image at 100%, if those photographers resized the 16 MP image to 6 MP in Photoshop, they would not see much difference in sharpness between the two 6 MP images.Take a look at the following examples:

6-MP-Image.jpg

12-MP-Image.jpg

The first image is a 100% crop from a 6 MP image, while the second one is a 100% crop from a 12 MP image. Looking at the 6 MP image, I can say that it looks acceptably sharp to me and if I add a little bit of sharpening in Photoshop, I will get a very usable image. Now take a look at the second image – this one looks soft/blurry in comparison. Both are taken from the same image and one is simply resized to smaller resolution. That’s why if your lens is not very sharp or if it slightly front/back focuses, you would not normally notice any problems when it is mounted on a low-resolution camera. Many photographers did not even know about front/back focus issues until they tried out the D7000 or saw hundreds of messages on online forums. Simply put, Nikon opened a can of worms with a high resolution sensor and people all of a sudden started discovering focus problems with their lenses.

Front/back focus issues are mostly related to lenses, not camera bodies. Again, as I have pointed out above, a slight focusing problem of a lens might not be noticeable on a low resolution sensor, but will certainly show up at high resolutions. Add camera shake and motion blur at slow shutter speeds and the situation is worsened even more. Not all lenses are perfectly calibrated when they leave Nikon factories, as can be seen from some of my Nikon lens reviews, so you should not be surprised if your lenses are not 100% accurate. If you did not notice a focus problem with your lens before, it does not mean that it did not exist.
Now this all does not mean that a DSLR body cannot have any issues. I’m sure a number of Nikon D7000 camera bodies actually had some focusing problems – a normal problem that occurs when a product is manufactured. Some experienced photographers have clearly demonstrated DSLR autofocus problems and I am not going to argue with them. However, the number of people who truly had an autofocus problem with a D7000 body is extremely small. Inside the DSLR body, AF problems could be caused by badly aligned internal components and other calibration issues that are easy to fix by the manufacturer. If all of your lenses have focus issues which are not present on a different DSLR body, then you might have one of those defective DSLRs that need to be repaired/recalibrated by Nikon. Don’t try to repair or recalibrate the camera yourself. There are some people who advise to use a hex wrench inside the camera chamber to fix the focus problem, but it is not a good idea for two reasons – you might damage your camera and you might make AF accuracy even worse. Nikon uses specialized computer equipment to calibrate cameras and lenses and you should let them handle that instead.

Another reason why we hear so much about backfocus issues on the D7000 is because Nikon gave the ability to use AF Fine Tune on the D7000 (Nikon D90 and entry-level DSLRs do not have this feature). Many photographers, especially newbies, experiment with AF Fine Tune too much and they end up with even worse results. Tweaking AF Fine Tune values requires careful testing using special charts for accurate results, so I would not just use any arbitrary number and hope it will work. Obviously, using other people’s AF Fine Tune values is no good either… Lastly, autofocus problems on DSLRs and lenses have been known for many years now, pretty much since the day autofocus was invented. If you search for “backfocus test” in Google, you will find articles from 10+ years ago. So it is NOT a new problem on the D7000 – there were back focus issues even back in the film days.

ccoulson

Mine was diagnosed as having poorly aligned components, resulting in backfocusing of images. To say that every D7000 does not have a problem strikes a nerve with me, though i do agree there is a huge need to learn the complicated autofocusing system of this amazing camera. I also agree that there are issues with lenses. My 35mm 1.8 required fine tuning once back from nikon. however all of my other lenses were spot on after service from nikon.

All I know, is MY D7000 Camera backfocused.... sent photos to nikon... nikon confirmed issue... sent camera to nikon...camera came back a different camera..... I was impacted, my camera did have a factory defect.

all that said. I agree with everything else you have said.

Reading up and studying and practicing with this autofocus system is CRUCIAL.

Falcon1

Update: My Nikon D7000 body is now on its way to me in Iceland from Sweden where it have been past 2 weeks in service. I talked to rep. there and he said that the technician wrote only about using AF-lock to avoid changing focus. I will of course try that but isn't it odd that it is maybe changing focus points without it registered when I view it for example in ViewNX ? Is the D7000 multifunction buttons more prone to "accidents" because they are more sensitive than on older models?
I will write another update when I receive my camera back.

bluenoser

Banned
Update: My Nikon D7000 body is now on its way to me in Iceland from Sweden where it have been past 2 weeks in service. I talked to rep. there and he said that the technician wrote only about using AF-lock to avoid changing focus. I will of course try that but isn't it odd that it is maybe changing focus points without it registered when I view it for example in ViewNX ? Is the D7000 multifunction buttons more prone to "accidents" because they are more sensitive than on older models?
I will write another update when I receive my camera back.

That sounds like a highly unsatisfactory answer from Nikon. I can't imagine that your focus issues are a result of accidentally changing the focus point.

Falcon1

That sounds like a highly unsatisfactory answer from Nikon. I can't imagine that your focus issues are a result of accidentally changing the focus point.
Yes James, my thoughts exactly. I was very happy when the rep. told me that my camera was on its way but it was quickly dimished when I asked what technician said about the problem. However, I will give myself few days to test it when it arrives but if I'm not satisfied then I will request an replacement.

Shewashere

Yes James, my thoughts exactly. I was very happy when the rep. told me that my camera was on its way but it was quickly dimished when I asked what technician said about the problem. However, I will give myself few days to test it when it arrives but if I'm not satisfied then I will request an replacement.

So sorry to hear that! That seems like a very odd response. My camera is currently at Nikon Service and Repair in California. It's been on a parts hold since 3/7 and is listed as major parts replaced. I'm hoping that means they agree something was wrong with the camera. I would be extremely frustrated if I got your response. I hope it all work out for you. I've already told my husband that if my D7000 isn't working properly when it is returned, I'll be upgrading, even if it has to be to a used camera.

Falcon1

Update: Finally good news, I picked up my Nikon D7k today and first tests are very promising. Both with A3 feature on and off. The main thing is that it seems to work both indoors and outdoors, before it was quite alot worse indoors than outdoors. However, I got no words from Nikon what they did other than I should use AF lock more - the tests were without AF lock! So they did something more than they say if it keeps passing my tests with flying colors. Mind you that these are similar setups as it failed before but of course not scientific. :eek:
So I'm still happy today, hopefully it will last. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If working right, you should be very happy with this camera. The color depth and sharpness is awesome.

Falcon1

Oh no... it is starting to behave strange again. :( Autofocus on the light switch in the center of the pictures.

Correct:
6853747112_a2982b6011_o.jpg

OOF:
6999870615_1b76217f77_o.jpg

OOF:
6853747900_6e885c939c_o.jpg

What do you think about this? For 1 1/2 hour after I received my camera back it was great or at least acceptable, now I'm starting to get this. :(

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Stefan, there are a few things I suspect could cause this behavior.
I notice that these were taken using the flash at 1.8. This makes me wonder if there was indeed enough light AND contrast for the focusing to be efficient. NO CAMERA can focus in darkness or when there is not enough light and contrast.
Second is the setting AF-C that you are using. This lets the focus wander around until the shutter opens. I would try the same shots using AF-S, single point, making sure you either depress the shutter half way long enough for the focus to acquire it's subject.

These are the suggestions I make and maybe… hopefully it can help you get sharper shots.

And sometimes there is no substitute to manual or live view focus. That's how all the great shots we see from the new D800 were done anyway. All these super sharp pics are NOT just snapshots. Don't forget that.

Falcon1

Thanks Marcel for your comment. I have however also tried AF-S (focus light on) and it is not much better. The strange thing is that it was ok for some time (in same light/contrast) but all of the sudden it started to show its bad face again. Now I expect some focusing errors, this is consumer body after all, but it is too high percentage of failure.
In some photos it is almost like it is smearing the outlines, I don't experience this at all with my D80 and I had no problem handhelding D800 (it was sharp, sharp, sharp) when I got to try it in a camera store here in Iceland.

Will test it outdoors again later today... I get to depressed trying it indoors. :(

Last edited by a moderator: