D610 Oil spot issue

au2072

Hi, friends?
I live in Sydney, and I bought D610 fom one of the biggest nikon dealer Sydney late Jan/2014. But many of black spots accured on pictures after around 6 months, 8000 shots. I left my d610 at their service centre on 04/08/2014. their attitude was very rude, and did not accept it is manufacrure's defects. Anyhow they informed me that theycleaned sensor only. Even I asked for their official reply, how Nikon would do if same things occur again, but they don't answer it so far.
Who knows there is simillar party concerning with this d610 dust + oil issue in Australia?
And please inform me if some other australians in Sydney have same problem, please inform me.
Best Regards.
Peter/Sydney

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

I've heard nothing about issues with the D610s. 8000 clicks is a lot, and the dust you're experiencing is likely normal. I find I need to blow my sensor clean every 300-500 clicks and wet clean every 5000 or so, so I am not surprised yours showed spotting. Problematic cameras had spots show up almost immediately and the problem was isolated to the D600. Not to say that you might not have a problem, but if you do it wouldn't be related to the D600 shutter issue since it's a completely different mechanism.

TL Robinson

I have over 10k clicks on my D610 now and, short blowing it out, even at f11 and above I rarely see any spots. Occasionally but running the built in cleaning tool usually takes care of it. I wet clean mine periodically as well but that's just me being a clean freak.

PTphoto

My new D610 has spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikon took back my spotty D600 and sent me a new D610 replacement 8/4/14. ;)

I put my only Nikon lens on it (28-300mm) freshly cleaned, and in a very clean environment, and took my first D610 snap as a sky shot to check for spots. It was perfectly clean. Great!

Now after only 83 actuations, AND NEVER REMOVING THE LENS, I took an F22 sky shot to check it. SPOTS!!!

DSC_0083 D610 spots 83rd actuation.jpg
D610 spots showing up on only the 83rd actuation, with never removing the lens!!!!!

This should help to see the spots, as they are faint in the pic.
If you click on the image to enlarge it, the spots show better
DSC_0083 D610 spots circled 83rd actuation.jpg
New D610 after only 83 actuations, AND NEVER REMOVING THE LENS

Will inform Nikon of this.
Make no mistake, this brand spankin' new D610 has the dreaded spot problem! Here we go again!

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My new D610 has spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikon took back my spotty D600 and sent me a new D610 replacement. I put my only Nikon lens on it (28-300mm) freshly cleaned, and in a very clean environment, and took my first D610 shot. It was perfectly clean. Great!

Now after only 83 actuations, AND NEVER REMOVING THE LENS, I took an F22 sky shot to check it. SPOTS!!!

Will inform Nikon of this. Make no mistakes, this D610 has the dreaded spot problem! Here we go again!

View attachment 108758
D610 spots showing up on only the 83rd actuation, with never removing the lens!!!!!

It is possible a little dust got inside while mounting the lens. Try using the internal vibration feature and see if that gets rid of anything you see. I don't see anything in this photo that remotely looks like the spots on my D600's sensor.

SkvLTD

Again, all FX cams will have some spots after some use since shutter is bigger. So, how many spots are there? If its a few, that's fine. If there are 20+ then it's a problem. Many pro photogs mentioned this fact, hence why cleaning kits even exist out there.

I think mine had a few again, but I put nice 25k clicks on it already, so it's to be expected.

PTphoto

Thanks Hark. Ran the internal vibration cleaner feature five times, and it did not get rid of any spots.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Dust is a fact of life for a photographer. Learn to deal with it. Yes, there are cameras that develop issues, and while my eyes are getting older there is nothing in your photo that leads me to believe that there is anything wrong other than dust on the sensor. Whether or not you've never changed the lens, you did put the lens on once, and that's ample opportunity for dust to get it (it could have been in the lens back cap, which got it into the lens, that got it into the camera - and then there's ambient dust).

Regardless, a rocket blower is in order, and one of the most valuable and used tools in a photographer's bag. I suspect that will remove most of it as none of it appears to be of a wet, permanent nature. There are lots of other opportunities for a camera to get dust stuck to the sensor once it gets in the body. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cameras lying on their backs and thought, "Well, there's a dusty sensor thanks to gravity alone". And while the auto-clean function is nice, it doesn't work that great, particularly if you don't have the camera facing down when you use it - and then, the dust is off the sensor, but still in the chamber, so once wave of the mirror and it could be headed back to where it was. Blow it out.

If it persists after all that, contact the place where you got it and see if they'll work with Nikon on a speedy inspection or a swap out. I suspect that won't be necessary. But in the immortal words of Douglas Adams, the most important thing is Don't Panic. It's not what you think.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Hark. Ran the internal vibration cleaner feature five times, and it did not get rid of any spots.

I was told by one Nikon rep that the internal vibration sensor cleaning function is more efficient when the camera is on a hard surface. Probably because our hands (when we hold the camera) absorb the vibrations and make the cleaning function less efficient.

PTphoto

I was told by one Nikon rep that the internal vibration sensor cleaning function is more efficient when the camera is on a hard surface. Probably because our hands (when we hold the camera) absorb the vibrations and make the cleaning function less efficient.

It seems that somewhere I read that the camera should be upright and on a hard surface. That way dust would fall down to the bottom. Anyway, I'll first wait for Nikon to respond, then if appropriate, try the blower. Thanks Marcel, SkvLTD, and BackdoorHippiefor the good ideas.

Iris

Hi. I have recently purchased a D610, but have noticed this black spot in the mid left hand side of the viewfinder. On changing lenses, I realused that it's clearly something in the camera. Could it be that the dreaded black spot is a problem for me too? If so, Nikon needs to sort it out, sooner rather than later, maybe a d750 would be advisable? Not sure if I want to start the Nikon journey this way? Comments?
Cheers E

Deleted

Hi. I have recently purchased a D610, but have noticed this black spot in the mid left hand side of the viewfinder. On changing lenses, I realused that it's clearly something in the camera. Could it be that the dreaded black spot is a problem for me too? If so, Nikon needs to sort it out, sooner rather than later, maybe a d750 would be advisable? Not sure if I want to start the Nikon journey this way? Comments?
Cheers E

To save Jake's blood pressure.... ;)

Is the spot in Live view? Is the spot on your images & at which f-stop? Have you cleaned your viewfinder glass? Was the D610 brand new from the Nikon approved dealer? Have you attempted any cleaning on your sensor (including the sensor clean option in the menu)?

BackdoorArts

To save Jake's blood pressure.... ;)

Is the spot in Live view? Is the spot on your images & at which f-stop? Have you cleaned your viewfinder glass? Was the D610 brand new from the Nikon approved dealer? Have you attempted any cleaning on your sensor (including the sensor clean option in the menu)?

:)

Much to my pleasure the D610's shutter is as solid as they come. If you've got spots then it's 99% probable that it's simply dust or a particle that wandered into your body at some point when the lens was off and then eventually hit the shutter. We all get 'em. If you're shooting with a DSLR, get a good bulb blower like the Rocket Blower (never blow on the sensor with canned compressed air or your mouth) and blow the sensor clean. If it's still there, learn how to wet clean your sensor.

There are plenty of threads on cleaning your sensor (note to self, put something together as a sticky for the Education forum). Do a search and learn how. It won't be the last time you get this.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cheers E

I had a D600 which was sent to Nikon 3 times because of spots. Nikon wound up reimbursing me so I bought a D610. The sensor eventually needed a wet cleaning then I took several hundred photos. Changed the lens a few times and it needs another wet cleaning. Getting spots is a fact of life.

You only have 1 spot plus you say it is black. That doesn't sound like the D600's oil spot problem. The oil spots were lighter in color than black plus on my D600 they were NUMEROUS! If yours is that visible and is black, odds are it is a dust bunny. Watch a video on how to clean your sensor. It is possible that using a rocket blower will dislodge your dust bunny. ;)

Glyn Ryles

Nikon exchanged my D600 for a D610 which arrived on Monday, since then I've had 3 lenses on, one of which was on for 3 days to shoot macro. In that time, I've watched the dirt build up on the left hand side of the sensor just the same as it did with the D600. General dust would be all over the sensor, this is most definitely limited to the left side exactly like the D600. I'm now waiting for Nikon to get back to me with what they intend to do about it, but it's most certainly a problem and something I wasn't expecting at all.

d610sensor.jpg

Blade Canyon

Nikon exchanged my D600 for a D610 which arrived on Monday... I've watched the dirt build up on the left hand side of the sensor just the same as it did with the D600.

My two D600s have been back to Nikon for the free repair, and both have well over 10,000 clicks and no more problems with oil, but they still get dust. Have you or anyone considered just burning through a few thousand clicks, then cleaning the sensor, to see if that fixes it? I fully understand if you would rather start with a working camera that doesn't have this problem, but time and clicks are what seems to get rid of the excess oil that may be on the shutter curtain at the start.