D600 is back home ... again. Interesting repair note

aZuMi

FYI, no reappearance of the issue with the 3rd shutter, so whatever was the culprit, it's "fixable".

Now that I have my D700 as my main, time to send my D600 for a shutter replacement. Glad that there's a fix!

Does that mean my 30k actuations of shooting becomes 0? :)

STM

Now that I have my D700 as my main, time to send my D600 for a shutter replacement. Glad that there's a fix!

Does that mean my 30k actuations of shooting becomes 0? :)

Your shutter actuations may go to zero with a new shutter but remember that your mirror and all its associated linkages have still actuated that many times.

RoosterX

I am curious, is your sensor still nice and clean? Reason for asking is that i am thinking of getting a D600.

The thing is i actually went for the d7100 just because of the dust/oil problems on D600, but the company managed to send me the D7000 instead, which is going back tomorrow, so i got a feeling it may have been a reason for this troubles! ;) And besides there is a £150 cashback in the UK until 31. this month.

Last edited:

VectorZ

So now that it looks like the cameras may actually get fixed, I called to send mine in, but they wanted me to send them multiple images with the spots on them before they'd agree to send me a label and repair the camera. Did they do that to any of you??

BackdoorArts

Absolutely. I shot a dust shot (long exposure at f22 at minimal focus range) and boosted the blacks and clarity in lightroom. If you don't have the spots to justify sending it then you probably don't have the issue, so it's a win-win as you got lucky with the shutter and you don't have to do without. If you have the spots then they likely won't question it.

VectorZ

Absolutely. I shot a dust shot (long exposure at f22 at minimal focus range) and boosted the blacks and clarity in lightroom. If you don't have the spots to justify sending it then you probably don't have the issue, so it's a win-win as you got lucky with the shutter and you don't have to do without. If you have the spots then they likely won't question it.

The rep told me specifically NOT to alter it in any way. Luckily (?!) the spots were pretty obvious even on the un-edited pics. I'm still waiting for a pre-paid label to mail it in. I really, really hope this fixes it.

BackdoorArts

Unaltered they would be able to check it. I altered mine to show them the pure number of spots on mine - which was the second shutter and only had a couple hundred shots.

BackdoorArts

Doing wonderful. Not even a hint of oil. I've blown off the sensor a couple times and have one small, persistent spec that's only noticeable at small apertures against a solid background (sky, painted wall), but it's just normal dust and immediately fixable. I'll wait until a wet clean is really needed. I've even been shooting in Continue High mode lately, which immediately made the spots present in the past. I haven't checked the shutter count, but I'm at least five hundred frames in since the repair and no complaints.

As the line from Poltergeist goes, "This house is clean". ;)

VectorZ

Doing wonderful. Not even a hint of oil. I've blown off the sensor a couple times and have one small, persistent spec that's only noticeable at small apertures against a solid background (sky, painted wall), but it's just normal dust and immediately fixable. I'll wait until a wet clean is really needed. I've even been shooting in Continue High mode lately, which immediately made the spots present in the past. I haven't checked the shutter count, but I'm at least five hundred frames in since the repair and no complaints.

As the line from Poltergeist goes, "This house is clean". ;)

Really glad to hear that! Mine is boxed and ready to go, but Nikon sent me a shipping label with the wrong address on it. Now I'm having to wait another day or two to get a correct one. Ridiculous.

kirbfucius

Well, speaking as a D7000 owner, at least I feel less of a desire to upgrade to full frame until the next models are released. More time to save up I suppose :)