D600 is back home ... again. Interesting repair note

Cowleystjames

Should Nikon admit they have a problem with a contaminated sensor on this camera, sort a fix out and recall all.
If it was a motor manufacturer they'd be forced to do a recall.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BackdoorArts

Over 24 hours now since contacting Nikon for clarification on the fix with no reply. Shot a bunch of birds yesterday with a lot of continuous frame shots, which seems to be what exacerbated the problem the first two times. I'll keep you all posted. I'm glad to have it back, because it's an amazing camera. I actually prefer images to the D800, which I have no complaints about.

Paul, I appreciate the non-prayers, but I'm really OK with this. My real purpose in even writing this is less about personal frustration and more about keeping the world informed of one man's experience, if only so that if someone else is going through it they know they're not alone, and if Nikon's reading it to let them know that they're not working (or not "not working") in anonymity. The world is watching.

Mark F

I'm really considering myself lucky. I sent my camera back to nikon before they even suggested an admission to the shutter and dust problem. They replaced the shutter and sent it back. Now after a 1500 shutter actuations, i checked the sensor yesterday with a loupe... found 1 dust speck that was easily blown off with a blower. I hope that good fortune with this camera continues.
I hope yours is finally fixed as well.

BackdoorArts

So, I get an email from Nikon last night and it states, "According to the technician, the low pass filter on the D600 was just cleaned."

I could further pursue why they would then choose to mark the "MOD LOW PASS FILTER" on the repair ticket when it wasn't there before, but I believe it would just be an exercise in frustration. So, I'm closing the books on this one. Hopefully I'll never have to think about it again. :)

RockyNH_RIP

So, I get an email from Nikon last night and it states, "According to the technician, the low pass filter on the D600 was just cleaned."

I could further pursue why they would then choose to mark the "MOD LOW PASS FILTER" on the repair ticket when it wasn't there before, but I believe it would just be an exercise in frustration. So, I'm closing the books on this one. Hopefully I'll never have to think about it again. :)

Sounds like the right move now Jake... My hopes are that once closed ... it stays closed!! :)

Pat in NH

Sabra Designs

Sorryto bring you some bad news but I was in a similar position. I bought my wife aD600 in November. With the holidays we were not able to do too much with it butby February we noticed the issue of dust\oil\noise on many of her pictures. Mywife was a professional photographer and as we get closer to retirement we arethinking of a small cottage photo business or just enjoying a passionate hobby.This should have been a great experience.
[FONT=&quot]We went to the Addison TexasNikon photo school on Feb 23 and 24th. We decided to wait until after the classto send it in as we followed Nikon's protocol. They reviewed the pictures wesent in and they said send it to them in California. On the 25th we sent it inwhich cost us $137 ($122 for shipping and insurance and another $15 for the boxand packing materials.) We sent it in two day UPS. They did not evenacknowledge receipt of the camera until the next week even thought we had proofof delivery. Once they looked at it they simply cleaned the sensor and sent itback. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Rightout of the box, we barely had the camera body open for 10 seconds while weattached a lens, we experienced the same problem. We called them and wentthrough the hassle of sending in the pictures. By the way we received differentinstructions each time for the proper way to send files and each time it tookseveral tries. They really should know how to handle large files and beconsistent. We implied once again that we did not want to have to pay another$137 to send it back. We received the same email saying sorry but you will needto send us the camera again. We had enough. We were never offered a prepaid UPSlabel.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Wewent to a great local distributor. We did not buy thisfrom them but since we have shopped there before they were gracious enough tolisten to our situation and send it in to the Melville operation on our behalf.Just like many, our camera was put on parts hold. They eventually, after 4 weeks andme getting on the phone with them, replaced the shutter mechanism and did acomplete low pass filter cleaning. They sent it back apologizing for the issuesand even sent me a check to repay me for my original shipping. They explained Ishould have been offered a free shipping label. There were several othermis-communications that are irrelevant as they had nothing to do with the issueat hand.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Thecamera arrived on Thursday and we picked it up on Friday. Weshot some pics on Saturday and went to the Dallas zoo on Sunday to put itthrough some real shooting. We got home Sunday evening and we saw the issuereappear. We started shooting at around 11:30 AM at 1:05 PM we noticed thefirst issue. We figured this out as we reviewed the shots Sunday evening usingNikon’s software. The spots gradually got worse. Yes we do have the pics toback all of this up which we eventually got to send to Nikon on Monday.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mondayafternoon they issues an overnight UPS label. I boxed the camera up and sent itback to them. They had a manager intercept put on the label to review. My wifewill be travelling internationally next week and we needed the camera (werequested a replacement) before she left. I heard nothing on Tuesday morningbut followed up and found out that they had it. I was told I would hear backlater that day or early today. Nothingagain. I call up and am told they will speak with the service manager and putin a request for a replacement camera. I would hear within 24 hours. In lessthan 6 hours they called me and said that the service manager said there isonly one spot and they are simply going to clean it and send it back. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nowthe pictures clearly show more than one spot and additional noise or again morespots. I asked them to review that as I do not believe they reviewed thepictures although why would they agree to overnight something for pickup afterthey saw the pictures if there was only one spot?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Soin less than a week I received a refurbished camera with a new shuttermechanism and a cleaned low pass filter. In less than 4 days they requested thecamera back. This is the third time it is in for the same issue. They did notoffer to replace the camera. They are simply going to send it back after a sensorclean.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hereis the dilemma: The original place I purchased the camera from hasgraciously agreed to take it back and put me into another camera. They said wecould either get another D600, a different camera or a store credit. That iscustomer service. That is a great customer experience. Nikon should learn alesson from this. Right now I am leaning towards getting rid of our Nikon Gear.You see we also bought a D3200 and a Nikon 105MM micro lens as well as someother smaller items. That may sounddrastic but that is how they have made us feel. We would rather have a nice workingmodel of the D600 but how do I in good conscience reward them with morebusiness after how we were treated and how the other people with poorly workingD600 were treated. While I have no idea how prevalent the issue is, the mannerin which they have handled it is disgusting. I am happy for all the people whoI know and hear about that have working D600. However, a $2000 plus investmentfor a consumer or a pro is a significant amount of money. With Nikon currentlyreporting more than a $159M profit this quarter (down almost 50% on a 5% increasein sales), why should their customers take this kid of treatment?
​[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Foreveryone with a good working D600 enjoy. For everyone who has been treatedpoorly by Nikon customer service I empathize with you. Luckily there are stillsome great companies that treat their customers with exceptional respect. Nikoncould learn a thing or two. They have brought fumeiyo upon themselves.[/FONT]

Cowleystjames

That's tragic news as far as Nikon customer service is concerned. Over and over again we hear of this problem relating to a contaminated sensor.
I realise people come onto forums to post problems, but this issue wont go away.
Nikon needs to get to the bottom of this, although I suspect they're burying their corporate head in the sand.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Eye-level

Banned
I would elect to get a new D600 with a much later serial number and give it one more shot. If it happened again then I would have a runaway.

RockyNH_RIP

Sorry to hear of all your troubles since Feb ... wow, only 2 months and so much

What do you use the 3200 for? I have a D5100 and have been very pleased with it. Have you had good success with your 3200?? I look forward to seeing some of your photos, even with the 3200 as it closer to my rig.

Are you on any other photo forums?? Are your photos displayed on a website somewhere~! Where are you from by the way?

Welcome to Nikonites!

Pat in NH

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Rightout of the box, we barely had the camera body open for 10 seconds while weattached a lens, we experienced the same problem.

So sorry to hear about your continued problems!

Since you posted the above comment saying the spots returned immediately, it makes me wonder if the back of your lens has gotten dirty from the oil especially since you say there were many spots and Nikon found only one. Have you used those same lenses on your D3200, or do you have DX lenses for that camera?

I cleaned my sensor last week as it had spots (after only a few hundred shutter actuations) and need to check it again as I've taken a few hundred more. Since Jake (the original poster) experienced the problem after having his D600 fixed, I'm guessing Nikon doesn't have NEWLY designed shutters to replace the problematic ones. My suggestion would be to select a different Nikon camera body to replace it rather than to sell all your Nikon gear. Most likely you'd take a big loss if you did that.

Please let us know how this ultimately resolves.

NVSteve

Wow, talk about an excercise in frustration! My first body was extremely polluted with spots, most of which would appear directly after a cleaning & after only a few shots, although I never sent it in. I was fortunate enough to get my retailer to accept the return and send me a new camera instead. The new one still gets spots, but literally 1,000x less than the original body. I'm still relegated to cleaning the sensor before every shoot, but at least now there is very little to clean-only a handful of spots rather than hundreds. Guess I won't be sending mine in to Nikon just yet. Stories like these deflate all hopeful expectations of a fix.

RockyNH_RIP

Not denying an issue by any means... BUT... this latest tirade is beginning to look a bit like a drive-by troll!!?? He has not responded to any comments or questions (I asked specifics from him) since he posted.... and he posted the identical on another site 18 hours ago and never responded to any comments and questions over there... The day he signs up, (both places) and the same inflammatory post (though we know there is an issue) and never returns to respond or comment... raised some questions in my mind..

Just an FYI on my thoughts.....

Pat in NH

BackdoorArts

Can't say whether it was a troll or someone who is justifiably upset and saw a place where he could express his frustration along with mine. Hard to say which it is, but I find it odd that after one repair they did not offer the prepaid shipping. Hopefully whatever the issue it gets resolved. Haven't been shooting with mine enough lately to bother checking for dust.

As an aside, I find $132 to ship a camera by 2-day express, insured, ridiculously expensive. I ship stuff all the time and I could ship to the CA location from NJ in 2 days for less than half that. With "$15 for the box" I suspect he walked into a UPS store and also paid for the privilege of having them pack it (there's a lesson in there - save your boxes and pack yourself).

Rick M

I guess I don't shoot my D600 much, since I have only about 3700 shots after almost 8 months of ownership. During those 8 months, I have spent less than an hour in total cleaning the sensor. I'm not happy about the issue and can understand a heavy shooter's frustration, but it just doesn't effect me enough to send it in. I continue to think it gets better over time. At my shooting rate, I'll have had it a few years before I have spent two hours cleaning it. By then, I'll have upgraded :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Jake, you say to save the boxes (which I do). Did you return your camera in its original box, and if so, did you get the original box back?

BackdoorArts

No, just wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in a box with styrofoam packing popcorn. I just sent the body and cap, no battery or card or anything else for them to lose. When I got it back it's wrapped in a plastic bag to keep out moisture and dust, and then wrapped in bubble wrap and crammed in a box - no additional space fillers. Camera won't move, but it's a little disconcerting knowing how boxes can get crushed.

NVSteve

During those 8 months, I have spent less than an hour in total cleaning the sensor.

Rick, are you mostly shooting indoors, or outdoors with little sky in the frame? Seems like most of my shooting is outside in the bright sun, with blue sky in 1/4 to 1/2 the frame-that's when the spots really like to show up the most.

For the improved D600x, Nikon needs to incorporate another small compartment that will be used for a small container of Eclipse-like solution. Then, when we choose "clean the sensor" on the camera, it will automatically spritz an even number of microdroplets onto the sensor and then a mini wiper blade will run across the surface of the sensor.

eurotrash

I'm considering getting a 600, but when I do I'm thinking of getting a refurbished one from Adorama. That way, at least it's been given a once-over if in fact it did suffer from the dust issue that's so rampant on the web.

​Sorry about your story, that really bites. I wish Nikon would have adressed the issue from the beginning.