D600 class action brewing?

Phillydog1958

Several months ago, I called Nikon to check into their handling of the D600. I was connected to a nice, young lady. She was very professional and handled my situation as best as she could, within the guidelines that Nikon had set. I could see that she'd been well trained and versed by the powers that be. Anyway, she asked me for my Nikon account information. Keep in mind that Nikon has a "My Camera Bag" feature on it's site, so that you can register all of your Nikon gear. She looked into "My Camera Bag." She saw all of the Nikon gear that I have. She said, "Wow. You have a lot of Nikon gear, sir." She then told me to send her a pic, which displayed my oil-spot issue. I complied and she agreed that I had a legitimate problem. She wanted me to send in my camera for repairs. I didn't do it. After hearing some of the horror stories of other D600 owners, from this site, I decided to pass. The point that I'm trying to make is that most Nikon purchasers don't have as much gear as WE (Nikonites and other Nikon-deditcated forums) have. We are their bread and butter. We are the core of their market. I deciphered this from her response of my having "A lot of Nikon gear." Personally, I've never thought of myself as being special. She did. She obviously wasn't used to talking to dedicated customers like us. We can take various stands on this issue, on different sides of the fence, be it for or against Nikon. The bottom line is this: Nikon really doesn't have a lot of respect for any of us. We're all customers. If it happened once, it can happen again. I'm really having trouble understanding why we are so divided on this issue. What happened to the Golden Rule? I thought we all live by that. In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Last edited:

rocketman122

Several months ago, I called Nikon to check into their handling of the D600. I was connected to a nice, young lady. She was very professional and handled my situation as best as she could, within the guidelines that Nikon had set. I could see that she'd been well trained and versed by the powers that be. Anyway, she asked me for my Nikon account information. Keep in mind that Nikon has a "My Camera Bag" feature on it's site, so that you can register all of your Nikon gear. She looked into "My Camera Bag." She saw all of the Nikon gear that I have. She said, "Wow. You have a lot of Nikon gear, sir." She then told me to send her a pic, which displayed my oil-spot issue. I complied and she agreed that I had a legitimate problem. She wanted me to send in my camera for repairs. I didn't do it. After hearing some of the horror stories of other D600 owners, from this site, I decided to pass. The point that I'm trying to make is that most Nikon purchasers don't have as much gear as WE (Nikonites and other Nikon-deditcated forums) have. We are their bread and butter. We are the core of their market. I deciphered this from her response of my having "A lot of Nikon gear." Personally, I've never thought of myself as being special. She did. She obviously wasn't used to talking to dedicated customers like us. We can take various stands on this issue, on different sides of the fence, be it for or against Nikon. The bottom line is this: Nikon really doesn't have a lot of respect for any of us. We're all customers. If it happened once, it can happen again. I'm really having trouble understanding why we are so divided on this issue. What happened to the Golden Rule? I thought we all live by that. In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

NICE! you made me smile. you got the vip treatment. you have a lot of gear sir. hahaha

as a pro, im ashamed of the equipment I have compared to many non pro's ive seen. but im just building myself back. I had my gear stolen and was forced to leave the industry. but my friend has a luggage that puts elites to shame. some non pros have huge amounts of expensive equipment. and its just a hobby. im ok with my gear but the vast majority of pros (they call themselves pros but certainly are not) have crap equipment. and imo the saying, its the photographer, not the equipment is only partly true. bad gear will limit a great photographer to do his best/let out his potential.

Phillydog1958

NICE! you made me smile. you got the vip treatment. you have a lot of gear sir. hahaha

as a pro, im ashamed of the equipment I have compared to many non pro's ive seen. but im just building myself back. I had my gear stolen and was forced to leave the industry. but my friend has a luggage that puts elites to shame. some non pros have huge amounts of expensive equipment. and its just a hobby. im ok with my gear but the vast majority of pros (they call themselves pros but certainly are not) have crap equipment. and imo the saying, its the photographer, not the equipment is only partly true. bad gear will limit a great photographer to do his best/let out his potential.

You made me laugh. Ha! Please understand that I've never thought much of my gear, especially when compared to some of the pros on this and other forums, but I was surprised by the Nikon customer service rep's response. She empowered me, a little. She did make me feel a little but more important, but she probably tells all of her callers that :-D I'm sorry to hear about your gear being stolen. We all know that it's not necessarily about the gear, but what really matters is what you do with it. I'm sure you're a better photographer than I am :-D

Phillydog1958

By the way, have any of you iPhone users ever flirted with Siri? I did. I told her, "Siri, you have a gorgeous voice and I really like it." She replied, "I bet you tell all of the girls that." I had to LOL . . .

Phillydog1958

Siri is a blast to play with. Ask her what she is wearing.

Now that's funny Don. There is a newly-released movie out, with Jaoqiun Phoenix. Apparently -- based on the trailer -- he falls in love with the female voice of his computer's operating system. I haven't seen it, but it sounds weird. It's called, "Her." I'll eventually watch it when it hits cable. That's so much for artificial intelligence.

RON_RIP

I'm sorry guys but I don't need to hear about your relationships with Siri. That is just too personal to discuss on the net. Besides which ,she's my girl

Roger3006

In my opinion, a class action suit over $1,800 cameras would not be to attractive to ambulance chasers. They like personal injury. Administrative cost would make it prohibitive.

I distributed Nikon Sport optics many years ago. We wholesaled rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, etc. In general, Jap companies are arrogant and feel they can dictate to the customer. Nikon was a perfect example. In my opinion, they feel superior to Westerners which is a joke. I also dealt with Japs in another industry. They build cameras and cars. We built the A Bomb and put men on the moon.

That being said, I use Nikon digital cameras because they are a good value and do the job I need done. I do product photography. I shot a Hasselblad, Leica, and Nikon F4 with film. Quite frankly, the Nikon did not hold a candle to the Leica or Hasselblad. I used my Nikon for convenience and when I was in a rough environment. My F4's are great cameras and my Nikkor lenses are good quality but they are not the best.

I will not quote my conversation with the Nikon sales manager at the SHOT show one year because it would be in bad taste. It did refer to where he could put a lot of Nikon inventory and is was where the sun never shines.

I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face; however, I would like to see a knot jerked in them. I was raised to admit when you make a mistake and make it good. People respect that.

As far as rifle scopes go, Nikon is not near as good as Leupold which is a US company. Optics are better in the Leupold and their customer service is second to none. German rifle scopes are excellent and I feel the best binoculars are German. Not only have I sold all of them but I have used them extensively over a long period of time.

All my rifles are topped with Leupold's or Unertl's (Old US Company). My binoculars are Leica and Zeiss. I have owned some of everything over the last fifty years and the above is what I settled on because of better performance.

Above is my opinion based on experience.

Y'all have a great week.

Roger

Last edited:

Roger3006

In my opinion, a class action suit over $1,800 cameras would not be to attractive to ambulance chasers. They like personal injury. Administrative cost would make it prohibitive.

I distributed Nikon Sport optics many years ago. We wholesaled rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, etc. In general, Jap companies are arrogant and feel they can dictate to the customer. Nikon was a perfect example. In my opinion, they feel superior to Westerners which is a joke. I also dealt with Japs in another industry. They build cameras and cars. We built the A Bomb and put men on the moon.

That being said, I use Nikon digital cameras because they are a good value and do the job I need done. I do product photography. I shot a Hasselblad, Leica, and Nikon F4 with film. Quite frankly, the Nikon did not hold a candle to the Leica or Hasselblad. I used my Nikon for convenience and when I was in a rough environment. My F4's are great cameras and my Nikkor lenses are good quality but they are not the best.

I will not quote my conversation with the Nikon sales manager at the SHOT show one year because it would be in bad taste. It did refer to where he could put a lot of Nikon inventory and is was where the sun never shines.

I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face; however, I would like to see a knot jerked in them. I was raised to admit when you make a mistake and make it good. People respect that.

As far as rifle scopes go, Nikon is not near as good as Leupold which is a US company. Optics are better in the Leupold and their customer service is second to none. German rifle scopes are excellent and I feel the best binoculars are German. Not only have I sold all of them but I have used them extensively over a long period of time.

Above is my opinion based on experience.

Y'all have a great week.

Roger