D40 vs D200

jksecunda

If I buy the 3200 used what shutter count should I stay under? Im not sure what the max is on the cameras.
What does live view mean? I thought that was TTL view.

Horoscope Fish

If I buy the 3200 used what shutter count should I stay under? Im not sure what the max is on the cameras.
What does live view mean? I thought that was TTL view.
Well the fewer shutter actuations it has the better but I can't really say there's a precise number, or range you should be looking at. That being said, Nikon says the D3200 shutter is tested to withstand 100,000 actuations "under load"; so it's tough little bugger.

"Live View" is a feature where you use the LCD on the back of the camera for composing your shot, like you would with most Point and Shoot cameras for instance, instead of holding the camera up to your eye and using the view finder to do the same thing.

TTL stands for "Through The Lens" (metering) and refers, primarily, to using flash.

jksecunda

I like the view finder. I have the "live view" on the coolpix 7700 and it is not good when really sunny. By TTL I meant looking thru the lens when taking a picture. Like with a viewfinder. Does the 3200 NOT have a viewfinder? If not, then I would get something else.

Horoscope Fish

I like the view finder. I have the "live view" on the coolpix 7700 and it is not good when really sunny. By TTL I meant looking thru the lens when taking a picture. Like with a viewfinder. Does the 3200 NOT have a viewfinder?
I understand what you mean but in short, that's not really what TTL has come to mean. Any DSLR will meter through the lens but TTL has come to refer, more specifically, to how the camera meters through the lens... when using flash. It's semantics, but there ya go.

The '3200 has a regular viewfinder, yes. It also has "Live View" but it's an option. Sometimes it's a good thing to have but I rarely use it for shooting stills, personally. It's primary use, I would say, is for when you're shooting video.

Last edited:

Mark F

I like the view finder. I have the "live view" on the coolpix 7700 and it is not good when really sunny. By TTL I meant looking thru the lens when taking a picture. Like with a viewfinder. Does the 3200 NOT have a viewfinder? If not, then I would get something else.

All nikon dslr cameras have viewfinders. D3200 has viewfinder and live view. All newer nikons have both. I like live view when on a tripod and focus is critical. Like I said in a recent post... Go to a camera store or best buy, costco, whatever you have in your area and pick one up and test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jksecunda

Im not really into shooting video with the camera so that said, is the 5100 or 5200 a better choice for just pictures? Or do they all shoot video now?

Thanks for all your responses. I will go to the store and compare.

Jeff

Mark F

Im not really into shooting video with the camera so that said, is the 5100 or 5200 a better choice for just pictures? Or do they all shoot video now?

Thanks for all your responses. I will go to the store and compare.

Jeff

They all shoot video now... But it's only an option. D3200 and d5200 are great for taking pictures... And with the 24mp sensor, you can crop more if you need to. Go to the d3200 forum here "photos of the d3200" post #213 I think and look at my 100+ crop at a racetrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

They all shoot video... Just one of those things.

As for the 5100 and 5200... They are a step up from the 3200 in that they have more features and upgraded components. However, if you're not going to be using those features why pay for them? I don't think you would see a difference, in general, in the same shot taken with a 5200 vs a 3200 unless you really want to start picking them apart at the pixel level.

Getting your mitts on physical specimens is definitely the way to go. I just caution people not to pay for s--t they're not going to actually use. Be honest about what you need and pay for nothing else. Put any extra cash into a good lens, not bells and whistles that will sit unused.

I'd suggest a D3200 and a really nice lens instead of a 5200 unless the 5200 has something that really appeals to you... Pair a D3200 with a Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 DX VR in place of the 18-55mm kit lens, and you'd be soooooo set my friend.

jksecunda

Id like to see the pics of the racetrack. I cant find #213. The thread stated that there were only 181 posts. Not sure how to look for it.

I found it.
Thanks
Jeff

What does it mean "100+ crop"?

Last edited:

Mark F

Id like to see the pics of the racetrack. I cant find #213. The thread stated that there were only 181 posts. Not sure how to look for it.

I found it.
Thanks
Jeff

What does it mean "100+ crop"?

That original picture was of the whole car and some pic crew behind it. So 100% crop plus was to take that original picture and view at 100% and the crop what I see on the monitor. I think that crop was a little more than 100% though. But it details just what 24 mp can do.

Mark F

How big, if printed, would 100% be?
I printed it out at 11X16 for my sister. I printed at 16X20 just to see how it would look. Viewing at 5 feet away it still looked great.
Not sure how big you could print this... but I am sure you could go much larger with proper processing
With your D40 with no cropping..viewed from a distance of about 3 feet or more, you can print from 72 to 150 ppi. this will give you up to 42" X 28" prints.

Last edited:

Sambr

Don't buy either one D40 or D200 out dated dinosaurs. D200 are selling for 200- 250 out in my neck of the woods (how many do you want?) - suggest a D5200 great camera for everything.

Mark F

Don't buy either one D40 or D200 out dated dinosaurs. D200 are selling for 200- 250 out in my neck of the woods (how many do you want?) - suggest a D5200 great camera for everything.

For some people... 200.00-300.00 is all they can afford. I have seen great photos out of a. D40 and d200. And d1 D100. Brownie... Etc. get the drift? It's not the camera... It's the photographer. My neighbor friend has been a pro landscape and nights ape photographer for years... He has a d70.

Last edited:

Sambr

For some people... 200.00-300.00 is all they can afford. I have seen great photos out of a. D40 and d200. And d1 D100. Brownie... Etc. get the drift? It's not the camera... It's the photographer. My neighbor friend has been a pro landscape and nights ape photographer for years... He has a d70.

Not to worry I have a D200 too with less than 5k on it. Yes it took & takes great photos - given a choice today I would not buy one especially what's available for the same price range.

fotojack

I've had offers for my D200, but I'd never sell it. It still takes great pictures....even without all the bells and whistles of the newer models. But I don't want bells and whistles...I want good pictures, and the D200 delivers.

Sambr

So you are say your D300 doesn't take good photos? After all it has a lot more "bells and whistles" than the D200. The minute I bought my D300 the D200 was put in a corner and has stayed there - used once in 3 years.

Last edited:

fotojack

So you are say your D300 doesn't take good photos? After all it has a lot more "bells and whistles" than the D200. The minute I bought my D300 the D200 was put in a corner and has stayed there - used once in 3 years.

Sam.....I use my D300 most of the time now, but still use the D200 on occasion. And they both don't have a lot of bells and whistles. :) They're what I call minimalist cameras. No video, no on board processing per se, heavy,.....cameras that make you think and not be tempted to use Auto anything. Better to learn with, in my opinion, for the OP.

jksecunda

I bought a D70 when they first came out and its way too slow now.

I see more opinions now. Some like the D200, D300, D3200. That why its so hard to decide. The older camera should not be better than a new one. With technology getting better all the time, the D200 should not be better than the D3200. I think some people get used to a camera and its buttons and don't want to learn something new. I don't mind new. I want a camera like an apple computer. Its works right out of the box. Don't want a lot of settings. If thats the way a D200 works, thats what I want.

Last edited: