D300S vs. D700

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxfireGallery

FoxFireGallery, I have no idea about what? The 2 cameras in question? I don't own either, but I have pro friends who do, and I listen to what they tell me about them. They each tell me, given a choice of one or the other, that the D300s is the better VALUE, since they both essentially do the same thing. Now......since the poster said he was going to school, I opted for the less expensive camera and suggested he put the saved money towards better lenses.
I also know people who buy the most expensive cameras because they CAN, not because they know any better. For some people it's a status thing. Digital cameras are all the rage now, and some can afford to get the "best". Doesn't mean they will know how to use the "best". :)
As for all cameras changing over to the FX format, I will disagree with you there. That would be like General Motors just making Cadillacs and stop making Malibus. Not gonna happen any time soon. There will always be a market for prosumer DX format cameras. There are more amateurs out there than pros, therefor a much bigger market segment to sell to. These are my thought on the matter. :)

You seem to be hung up on status rather than quality. Like most amateurs who do not understand the quality required in the professional world, especially commercial and fashion photographer. The D700 is a superb camera and will deliver the quality required in today’s competitive market. If he is studying photography at a degree level, he will not stop at snappy prints or 8x6 he will be going big and that alone will blow the D300 out of the water, not to mention low light photography. The D700 is superior in performance over the D300s to justify the cost.
The DX vs. FX comment I made, came from someone I talked at the forefront of camera production and development. The cameras you see today are about three plus generations backward technology to those currently under development.
If he cannot afford to buy a D700 than he will have to buy the D300s end of story. If I would be in this situation, I would hire the two bodies and test which one suits me best. I certainly would not buy a body or lens because someone like yourself may think I may be showing off. Yawn and very unprofessional, but as you said you are a hobby photographer, while he is trying to become a working professional in the industry

goz63

Foxfiregallery,
You seem to have an axe to grind here. Is there a reason you keep hitting with insults such as :"like most amateurs who do not understand quality", and " i have never disagreed more than the comment you have given here, which obviously comes from someone who has absolutely no idea."
These area all opinions and this is a friendly site for sharing ideas. You can express yourself without being demeaning. Lighten up!

FoxfireGallery

Foxfiregallery,
You seem to have an axe to grind here. Is there a reason you keep hitting with insults such as :"like most amateurs who do not understand quality", and " i have never disagreed more than the comment you have given here, which obviously comes from someone who has absolutely no idea."
These area all opinions and this is a friendly site for sharing ideas. You can express yourself without being demeaning. Lighten up!

No axe to ground whatsoever, it looks more like fotojack who is expressing serious envy problems, by proclaiming that anyone who owns a d700 is a poser. That is obviously an expression of an envious and quite misinformed person. Rvrn worse when it comes from a so called super moderator.

As you said quite rightly staed I have as much right to express an opinion, which includes disagreeing with ridiculous and misinformed statements, as you and anyone else here on this site. It was not personal, until the FJ made it so.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
All: As the moderator for the D300 forum, I am going to close this thread as counterproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.