Crazy - the dress with what color?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It's just a bad picture with bad White balance... Some people have so much time to loose on FB...

Moab Man

So looking at the rgb colors as a stand alone, I see the colors exactly as I see it on the dress since colors beside another color can affect how we perceive them. And like I told my daughter when she was caught up in this facebook frenzy yesterday, what I see is different white balances shifting the color of the dress in each image which is most obvious by the shifting of the background colors as well.

Somewhere in all of this I'm missing the train to understanding what the frenzy is so I will just stick to my box of 8 colored crayons.

Last edited:

J-see

What's most interesting about this is that depending what colors you see, when processing photos there can be similar combinations where you no longer can't rely upon your vision to adjust WB.

This is just a photo of a dress which is a funny thing for most but for us, it would be helpful if we'd know exactly what triggers this shift in perception.

J-see

It's called light.

I wish that was true but this is like the color shift at night a perceptual change that occurs in our brain during specific circumstances. I know I have to watch what I do with night shots but I'd like to know the trigger for this too.

wud

It's just a bad picture with bad White balance... Some people have so much time to loose on FB...

I've never had my eyes give me such a drastic difference, looking on 1 image. Of course it all comes down to wrong exposure (not WB), but millions of people posted that before, without this happening.

Well, i actually finds it interesting. You don't HAVE to read about it, if you don't care :)

wornish

I am in the White / Gold group.

Interesting I downloaded the picture in post #6 and opened it in PS.

Then I opened a new doc with a black background and sampled the "white" area with the eyedropper then just painted on the new black image and guess what it paints blue
I then sampled the gold and it paints mid brown.
If I look at the two images side by side i see different colours !!

Here is a screen capture of the two side by side.

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 17.14.08.jpg

J-see

I tried if it had something to do with exposure and upped one by 1.5 and lowered the other by the same but still see them as lighter or darker variants of blue/gold.

dress.jpg

wornish

Just had an argument with my wife looking at the same image on my iMac standing next to each other. She sees Blue and Black I see gold and white. She of course is right :confused:
We both are not colour blind. Bizarre !

J-see

It's strange that it's impossible for me to see the other variations and I have a hard time even imagining we see different colors without anyone suffering colorblindness.

This is something hardwired which makes it even more interesting. I wonder how many color combinations trigger a similar shift.

Mike150

I have now read four pages of comments and looked at all the photos and samples. I think I can finally come to a decision. I think I'll have some Buffalo Wings.

J-see

Well. Seems it's an issue about seeing red and green! Scroll a bit down here: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/explained-why-people-cant-agree-on-the-color-of-112191281639.html
Also the light plays a part.

Lol. Well.... That too. Even though the color would really bring out your eyes ::what::

Yeah but they all talk as if there are only two options while a couple of us see the third version. If color blindness or a deficiency would the answer it would imply at least 95% of the people suffer it since the original image is blue-gold.

wornish

This is the original advert from the company selling the dress.

To me I see Black & Blue for the first time .

Not sure why the others are all white and gold.

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 18.36.08.png