Contributing members idea

Do you like the idea of a "Contributing member"?

• Yes, do it!

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Maybe, if done right

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • No, I hate it!

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

WhiteLight

Yes definitely..
i can't count the number of times i've typed out a donation system in the 'feedback' section but held back cos i wasn't sure how things work in the back end.

this is a really amazing site with great members & to keep things this way in the long run, it's definitely needed

Go for it

mikew_RIP

At a quick glance i don't see any features that would be of any extra interest to me,i could be wrong though :D would i pay to be listed as a contributing member and help the site move forward and maintain its position as the number one Nikon site,yes i would,

Bill16

I know this is a bit of a side issue that I don't have a stake in, but I think the staff should get all the perks for free, for their service to the forum! This is customary in the other sites I've been on, but each site has it's own rules and customs.
I'd also like to recommend giving them a permanent premium membership for free if after a year or more(some set amount) of service, if they decide to step down from their position as sort of a thank you and to show them they are still very much wanted to continue being part of the nikonites family. :)

Anyway thanks for reading my two cents worth! Lol :D

Sharin

I support the idea as long as it doesn't go the way it did on two other forums I used to belong to. The fee varied depending on which level of a photographer you were judged to be and there were several different forums. You could not access the any forum that was higher than your level, though you could access all of the lower levels.

The problems (for me) arose when the higher tiered members stopped hanging out in the lower levels and sharing their insight and expertise.

I didn't mind paying $85 a year for everyone's shared content, but when the tiered system divided the forums the benefits were nil for me. And I couldn't get into one of the higher tiered groups because I am not and never will be a pro; those groups were for business pros.

I am really enjoying this site and would be happy to pay to keep it up and going.

Maybe this post should be a sticky, if it isn't already. I think it will be beneficial if many members weigh in on this.

pictaker64

I admin on a music torrent site(legal one),Once a year,sometimes not even that,we do a mass mailing and ask for donations.The money is only spent on server costs,just to keep it goin.We usually get enough in donations to last a whole year in one shot,Most times its more,with some people using paypal and making regular donations monthly,we have about 9/10 thousand members,but only about 2000 really are active,ie.. visiting the site,downloading shows,posting in forums. etc.The ones who use the site the most are usually those who donate.they do not get anything special from it except their name in a forum post of donors but everyone seems happy with just that.Maybe the same thing would work here.I probably would not use any of the things that have been suggested but you never know.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I thought about creating different tiers, but honestly I think it would be too complicated.

I'm on the fence about how a donation system could work.

What features would entice you to become a contributing member apart from what was already listed? I do like the idea for a monthly raffle.

Sharin

I don't need further enticements. I really like this site and I understand that it doesn't run for free. I'm willing to help in order to keep it. All the little things you've mentioned would be cute, but none of them would really entice me to pay.

I'm sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear; maybe someone else will weigh in with some good ideas.

Scott Murray

I am in two minds about this, I totally understand the need for $$$'s for on going up keep and running of the costs. I am also aware that online storage is not cheap and neither are servers and their up keep.
I do think the donation route could work, but from a business sense it does not give you a clear cut income and you do want enough to cover you yearly outlay.

Do you know what the yearly costs are?
Would a donation system allow you to cover these?
Is a membership a better idea?

I know that with my current set up I have no need for any of the mentioned items. But a single yearly membership would be a good idea. I used to pay for membership to a fishing club but never attended anything so it was more like a donation. Here I do spend some time and enjoy every ones company.

WhiteLight

How about having different slabs?

So you could possibly have 3 different 'titles' like Investor, Supporter and things like that.
I mean that is only if you want to have a differentiation between people who donate.

On some Forums, people get a golden star under their name for each time they contribute

Lawrence

What I have learned here in 3 short months would have cost me a fortune in books and tutorials so I am in.

However I am not fussed about being known as "seriously good bloke that contributes" or "superstar" (as it is "senior member is soooo wrong!) or anything else. This is a great place just as it is.

mikew_RIP

Possibly the worse thing that could happen would be any changes that looked to create a class system,i tried a chat room on my forum but quickly found things where being discussed that would have been better on the open forum,somehow stuff in a chat room gets buried and forgotten unlike the forum.

nickt

I wouldn't mind a donation button, but I'm not a big fan of holding back features. If they exist and its just a matter of flipping a software switch with no increased cost, then give them to everyone. The exception being an upgraded gallery. An ad-free gallery with a direct easy-to-share link might have value to those that are not comfortable using other hosting services.

SteveL54

I wouldn't mind paying a few $$ for some extra features such as no ads, monthly raffle, and more storage. Not really big on the live chat thing. I've learned a ton of information here that would have taken me many months - or years - to learn on my own. I would have gladly paid for this info, Creating three tiers would just muddy the waters. It would be somewhat confusing and harder to manage. Just basic level for "guests" and all the perks for "members" would be sufficient. A "trial" membership - with all the features sounds good on paper, however, when said trial period expires, what's to stop the person from just creating another identity? It may just create more work for the admins to monitor this. I'm certain that running this site takes time, patience, and $$. Domains, server hosting, and general upkeep is not free. I have no problem paying to keep it going. Just my $.02

-= Steve =-

john*thomas

I've not been here all that long but I've done this for other sites. Not because I want the extra's either. I understand the huge benefit's a site like this provides and I am willing to kick in a little to keep it going smoothly.

On sites like this you can list something you have for sale and there is no charge, which would cover your costs for listing somewhere like eBay.

I'll also add, the ads here aren't intrusive. As long as they dont pop up or try to pop up I don't mine them. Just a part of keeping a site running.

Last edited:

RON_RIP

I don't feel the need for any other inducements and i agree with Sharin that you should turn this into a sticky and try and get more members to give their opinions.

Tyler

I am fairly new to this site and pretty active reading through all the information to help me learn. Depending on price I would not mind at all helping out. I really like the idea of the chat but as mikew had said and the owner of another forum I am on said, it would be great to get some answers quickly and easily by just asking another member, however some valuable information is may not be available for someone else to see and learn from.

As far as tiers go, I would say I am against that. I think it would be easier to just have some simple "fee" whether it is annual or not and call it good. Keep it how it is now for the members who do not contribute, and add some little features of your choice to those who do. I really like the idea of the raffle and discounts. For me even if I do not win anything or use my discounts it is still nice to know I have perks like that for contributing.

The locked tier/skill level someone had stated, please DO NOT do that. That sounds horrible lol. We are all photographers here and us noobs like myself enjoy hearing from the pro's and better photographers. It shouldn't be like your not good enough to join our conversations so we are locking you out. I would never want to be a part of a forum or community like that.

That is my point of view. If done right, go for it.

Lawrence

Last night I attended a local photography club (for the first time) and they have, what I think is, quite a neat system.

Through monthly competitions members photos are rated which in turn gets the member a rating. Currently these are C (everyone starts at C regardless of ability until graded), B and A.
I won't go into detail here but happy to discuss with moderators and members if you think this is a good idea.

Where I think it would be good for Nikonites is to have that grading alongside member's avatar so at a glance we can tell who is an average, really good or great photographer.

Just a thought and I do realise the grading and judging takes time and effort.